Audio-Technica AT-HA20 Headphone Amp
Sep 10, 2005 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

razer

500+ Head-Fier
I was surfing and wandering around audiocubes.com and came across this amp. http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...phone_Amp.html

Was wondering if its decent enough to power my AD2000. Does anyone have other better suggestions? I dont know how it performs but it sure looks good...

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 21
There was a thread about this amp here on Head-Fi a few weeks ago. As I remember, the bottom line was that this amp is new and nobody seems to have reveiwed it. (You will notice that there are no reviews on audiocubes.)

Sep 10, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 21
Hi razer,

You can try PM oScARSr, I think he owns the AT-HA20. (Sorry oScARsr, nominating you to help razer...
biggrin.gif
)

Overlunge

Sep 10, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 21
Lol, i just pm-ed him before you posted this up. Thanks anyways. Seems that its ok. Still, i think a much more detailed review would be good for all those curious to know... So oScARsr...hehe we want review! we want review! we want review! we want review!
biggrin.gif

Oh, before i forget...its my 100th post!! yay!
580smile.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 21
huh,you mentioned you are taiwanese living in singapore.

gee, i tried all my best to describe what it sounds in English.
biggrin.gif

I need a translator . Then I would post some review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by oScARSr
huh,you mentioned you are taiwanese living in singapore.

gee, i tried all my best to describe what it sounds in English.
biggrin.gif

I need a translator . Then I would post some review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Send me those reviews, and I will translate it for you!

Overlunge

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 21
post your review here and I can translate.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 21
I don't mind translating a whole chunk of text into english. The most important thing is time. Give me lets say a few days cause I'am a student and I still need to attend lessons in the day so I probably will be a little held up and will only be able to translate the review at night. Oh, and i have not the sligtest idea in translating audiophile technical jargons cause i suppose thats not part of the language thiggie...Erm, hope you know what i mean. So you could type the review in chinese or whatever but keep the audiophile terms like headroom, frequency response in english cause I wouldn't recognise them if there were in chinese...

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 21
Oh before i forget, where did you get that avatar of a girl wearing the AD2000's ??

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 21
Thanks for help!! Overlunge Sir has translated my chinese review into English !!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Here :

Disclaimer: I have limited experience when comes to amp comparison; the majority of amps I came across were mostly DIY or made by local Taiwanese manufacturer. Therefore the following review could lack the perspective of comparison.

A Taiwanese forum (AndAudio) held a group buy for the ATH-HA20 (HA-20), and many said the HA-20 has great synergy with the Audio Technica (AT) headphones. I chose this amp because my current headphone is manufactured by AT, and also I was on a limited budget.

I have used (burn-in) this amp for a month since I modified the capacitors, but I have also spent a fair amount of time to listen to this amp before my mod. Although the mod did not greatly change the sound, some subtle improvement was noted.

Although using sound card as source might not help with this review greatly, I will try to the best of my ability to describe the sound and HA-20's characteristic.

AT's close headphones are known for its overly extended treble, and slightly congested midrange and bass frequencies. But the same time they all have low impedance, therefore I question it is because the lack of current.

When I first connect the headphone to the HA-20, even without careful A/B test, the differences were immediately noticeable in comparison to Emu 0404's headphone out. (Not to mention 0404's capacitor and opamp had been modified).

What struck me first, was the details and the layered sound.

There were details in the music where you had to pay attention to hear, became apparent and just flows into your ear. My ATH-W11JPN's ability to bring out the detail were highlighted. The completeness of the details were also improved. Allowed me to heard the whole spectrum of sound produced by the instruments, things like picking of the string. Unlike the congested sound straight out of the sound card.

The elevated level of sound layering were impressive, the space between the instruments were larger, the drum which were placed left/right before, now has been given the front/back dimension. The separation between vocal and background music is greater, the background sound no longer interfere with the complete sound of the vocal.

The next thing I noticed was the sound were given more flesh. The timbre of the instrument became more natural, and the instrumental pieces was more pleasing to the ear.

The downside being, where the vocal portion of the music now has more prominent sibilance, and lack the gentle sound before using the HA-20. Problem occurs when there are metallic instruments, at some passage it would exaggerate the shrillness and some passage it would tame the shrill (where original music were problematic). I put this down as the amp has poor ability to control the treble.

As for the tight/congested midrange, HA-20 puts the midrange more forward, and brings out more details to the voice. AT headphones are known for their approach to female vocal, with the amp, the female vocal become sweeter and more moving. (Except the sibilance mentioned previously.)

HA-20 has good performance in the bass, because it controls the quantity of the bass. (Bloated bass is not my cup of tea) Although the reduction in quantity, it adds more texture and airiness. The bass has a bouncy quality where as the hard 'thump' without the amp. As for deepness, I did not notice much difference.

The above sums up my impression/review of the ATH-HA20, because I have no amp I can do the comparison with, please use it as a reference. In my opinion, HA-20 is an amp that's worth trying at this particular price range.

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 21
Hmmm....I was actually thinking of getting this amp just for my AD2000's but I guess, its more worthwhile to get one that can suffice both the HD650 and the AD2000. One's of 40ohms while the other is 300ohms....Wonder if there's an amp out there that's around $250~$350 that can do that.

And yes, sorry for hijacking this thread...
eggosmile.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #13 of 21
Post some pics:

HA20p_01.jpg

HA20p_02.jpg

Sep 12, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #14 of 21
mmm... 'Japan'... mmm... 'drool'

Anyways, that's a beautiful amp/headphone combo... I was suggesting you start a new thread named 'Audio Technica AT-HA20 Impression' thread.. with photo and the text.

But either ways, it works for me! Now start considering the prospect of owning a HA20 before I splurge for a HA2002.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Overlunge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back