Audio-Technica ART Monitor Series Refreshed: A2000Z, A1000Z, A900Z, A500Z
Aug 22, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #91 of 263

I compared the A1000Z against A990Z if it helps. The A1000Z are neutral with a bit less, but more accurate bass. The A990Z are somewhat V-shaped, aimed for multimedia. The bass feels a bit bloated and are in general more fun sounding hp. The A1000Z sound more accurate and also have better earpads. The highs can be a bit sibilant sometimes, which is somehow not a problem on the A990Z.

Ha! I've been "struggling" with this problem myself for the past few days. After 9 long years, my AKG earpads gave up and while I could mend them I think they've lived their lives. 

I don't know what to pick between the A1000Z and the A990Z as I don't use the headphones except for listening to electronic music when I work and for gaming. Since I got my floor standing speakers, I hardly use the headphones for auditions so while I'd get the 1000Z for the build quality and flat sound, I'm not sure the price difference over the 990Z is justified, just for gaming, occasional movie and some online 128k AAC-encoded stream :)

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #92 of 263

Ha! I've been "struggling" with this problem myself for the past few days. After 9 long years, my AKG earpads gave up and while I could mend them I think they've lived their lives. 

I don't know what to pick between the A1000Z and the A990Z as I don't use the headphones except for listening to electronic music when I work and for gaming. Since I got my floor standing speakers, I hardly use the headphones for auditions so while I'd get the 1000Z for the build quality and flat sound, I'm not sure the price difference over the 990Z is justified, just for gaming, occasional movie and some online 128k AAC-encoded stream :)

If you pick one, which ever, be sure to report back your results :)

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #93 of 263
Pulled trigger on A1000Z a while ago, because ... well, I do collect "wood headphones" and "darker red headphones". 

A1000Z so far exceeded my expectations. I own several ATH TOTL, including W1000, W1000X, W1000Z, W5000, AD2000X ... and I think I like this A1000Z the most. Maybe it's a new toy syndrome but since I'm used to acquiring new gears already so maybe it's not.

For those who fears another "1000Z" designation after the lackluster W1000Z (well, I have to say I like this one the least in the wood range), fear not. A1000Z doesn't sound anything like it. 

Out of the AT-HA26D DAC > AT-HA22TUBE Amp, the A1000Z has very sweet and clear mid, very smooth and ear-pleasing treble. Above all, it's one of very few ATH cans that get bass right in both quality and quantity. They must have learned a few things from their Solid Bass line, and pull some plays from that playbook.

I hope Audio Technica would retain this sort of 'new/improve signature' to their wood range in the future.

One more thing, it also got clamping force right for both cups and 3D wings. Compared to all wooden cans mentioned above, the shape and size are slightly different. It now stays on my head much better without a rubber-band mod (maybe with slight bend/clamp to the arc structure). The cups still not rotate in Y-axis though.

After W1000Z, I feared for pulling a trigger on this one, especially that I have to do it blind (nowhere can I audit it here). I could have gone with the A2000Z but the color scheme and shinny metal aren't for me. Now I'm extremely happy that I did.

[Pic: The A1000Z among ATH "Darker Red" brothers]

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #94 of 263
  Pulled trigger on A1000Z a while ago, because ... well, I do collect "wood headphones" and "darker red headphones". 

A1000Z so far exceeded my expectations. I own several ATH TOTL, including W1000, W1000X, W1000Z, W5000, AD2000 ... and I think I like this A1000Z the most. Maybe it's a new toy syndrome but since I'm used to acquiring new gears already so maybe it's not.

For those who fears another "1000Z" designation after the lackluster W1000Z (well, I have to say I like this one the least in the wood range), fear not. A1000Z doesn't sound anything like it. 

Out of the AT-HA26D DAC > AT-HA22TUBE Amp, the A1000Z has very sweet and clear mid, very smooth and ear-pleasing treble. Above all, it's one of very few ATH cans that get bass right in both quality and quantity. 

I hope Audio Technica would retain this sort of 'new/improve signature' to their wood range in the future.

One more thing, it also got clamping force right for both cups and 3D wings. Compared to all wooden cans mentioned above, the shape is slightly different, but staying on my head much better without a rubber-band mod (maybe with slight bend/clamp to the arc structure). The cups still not rotate in Y-axis though.

After W1000Z, I feared for pulling a trigger on this one, especially that I have to do it blind (nowhere can I audit it here). I could have gone with the A2000Z but the color scheme and shinny metal aren't for me. Now I'm extremely happy that I did.

Great post! Agree that it's outstanding even amongst AT's other top cans. Was extremely impressed by the HA22TUBE+A1000Z pairing as well, really good synergy between those two. 'Clear' and 'vivid' are words that come to mind. The A2000Z certainly didn't have the same magic as A1000Z with the same amp. If I were in the market for a closed can, the A1000Z would definitely be at the top of my list!

PS: Awesome picture!

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #95 of 263

A1000Z so far exceeded my expectations. I own several ATH TOTL, including W1000, W1000X, W1000Z, W5000, AD2000X ... and I think I like this A1000Z the most. Maybe it's a new toy syndrome but since I'm used to acquiring new gears already so maybe it's not.

Out of the AT-HA26D DAC > AT-HA22TUBE Amp, the A1000Z has very sweet and clear mid, very smooth and ear-pleasing treble. Above all, it's one of very few ATH cans that get bass right in both quality and quantity. They must have learned a few things from their Solid Bass line, and pull some plays from that playbook.

One more thing, it also got clamping force right for both cups and 3D wings. Compared to all wooden cans mentioned above, the shape and size are slightly different. It now stays on my head much better without a rubber-band mod (maybe with slight bend/clamp to the arc structure). The cups still not rotate in Y-axis though.

Can you give a brief comparison of the A1000Z and AD2000X in terms of general sound signature and what to expect if I have the AD2000X?

I know they use different acoustic designs, but I'd love to have an idea I would be getting myself into. 

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #96 of 263

Can you give a brief comparison of the A1000Z and AD2000X in terms of general sound signature and what to expect if I have the AD2000X?

I know they use different acoustic designs, but I'd love to have an idea I would be getting myself into. 

Thanks!

To put it simply, it has the mid-range and treble similar (but not exactly the same) to AD2000X but got bass quality and quantity of a Solid Bass top-of-the-line (WS1100).

Bass has always been an Achilles' heel of Audio Technica (IMHO) but it seems to be thing of the past now.

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #97 of 263
I have been getting this sense that the A1000Z is a bit of a hidden gem. It's been many years since I've owned a pair of Audio Technicas, so I decided to jump back in a order a pair! Impressions will follow when they arrive next week 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #98 of 263

To put it simply, it has the mid-range and treble similar (but not exactly the same) to AD2000X but got bass quality and quantity of a Solid Bass top-of-the-line (WS1100).

Bass has always been an Achilles' heel of Audio Technica (IMHO) but it seems to be thing of the past now.

Thanks for the impressions and comparison!  Sounds like something I would like (although I haven't heard the WS1100).

I have been getting this sense that the A1000Z is a bit of a hidden gem. It's been many years since I've owned a pair of Audio Technicas, so I decided to jump back in a order a pair! Impressions will follow when they arrive next week 
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool! Always awesome for more impressions! I might be giving mine soon if things go right. 
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #100 of 263
I baught the a500x for $99(on special), used for 4 days, then baught the a990z for $299, used for 7 hours(so not burnt in). now i use a fiio e10k dac amp.

now i dont know how to describe audio but
the a990z sound at most 20% better, slightly more bass(maybe due to newer pads and louder mids), slightly more cleaner since it doesnt use a plastic shell, thats about it.(maybe they will sound better burned in)

is it worth 2x the original price? no just get a a500x

edit: actually i think it sounds worse due to upped mid bass and mids which kinda ruins the sound signature. o_O? actually i mean the mids are more fuller? i dont know lol... but i got a headache from listening to it(maybe because of the mids are too much, too much low-mid / mid poundage)

k watched some movies and mr robot the mids are fuller and louder which to me makes it sound unrealistic, and muffled?

how is this called balanced? sounds like mids are far too full and loud to me. maybe im used to V shape.(swan m10, athm50)

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #101 of 263
I baught the a500x for $99(on special), used for 4 days, then baught the a990z for $299 used for 7 hours(so not burnt in). now i use a fiio e10k dac amp.

now i dont know how to describe audio but
the a990z sound at most 20% better, slightly more bass(maybe due to newer pads and louder mids), slightly more cleaner since it doesnt use a plastic shell, thats about it.(maybe they will sound better burned in)

is it worth 2x the original price? no just get a a500x

edit: actually i think it sounds worse due to upped mid bass and mids which kinda ruins the sound signature. o_O? actually i mean the mids are more fuller? i dont know lol... but i got a headache from listening to it(maybe because of the mids are too much, too much low-mid / mid poundage)

k watched some movies and mr robot the mids are fuller and louder which to me makes it sound unrealistic, and muffled?

how is this called balanced? sounds like mids are far too full and loud to me. maybe im used to V shape.(swan m10, athm50)

I wonder, why did you buy the A990Z used for $299?  These things are $220 brand new:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242007-REG/audio_technica_ath_a990z_art_monitor_closed_back.html

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #102 of 263
oh i meant ive used them for 7 hours, forgot comma XD.

why do audiophiles think headphones that have too much mids sound better? wouldnt accurate realistic mids be better or rather accurate sound itself that hasn't got a veil on it. ? too much mids just makes my ears bleed for various uses. I will probably sell these a990z if the mids dont sound better after a long burn in with chevolume, as i cant put up with the headaches and unrealistic sound.

play mr robot s02e10 at the start with the 2 men talking in ecorp room and compare, you will see what i mean

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #103 of 263
A1000Z Impressions

Appearance

These headphones look quite nice upon unpacking. The satin red finish looks great. The headphones are quite lightweight. Mostly plastic and aluminum. The pads are reasonably soft, but not ultra premium. Overall, I think these look and feel good for their price.

Fit

Dear God, the bad news begins. These headphones feel absolutely awful on my head. They are clearly made for someone with a head twice as wide as mine. They have a reasonable amount of clamping force, but all of the pressure is on the bottom half of the pads, while the top half nearly floats just above my temples.

Ugh, this is a bit frustrating for me. On one hand I want these to fit better because if they don't I'm going to return them. On the other hand, I can bend the headband to fit my head better (maybe?), but if I do that, then I can't return them if I don't like the sound. So I played it safe and decided to try to evaluate the sound of these headphones without any bending of the headband. At times, I gently pushed the top of the cups closer to my ears to get something resembling a seal, but I didn't have the patience to do it constantly.

Sound

Unfortunately, the fit causes a lack of seal on these, so I have to either press the tops of the earpads against my ears or compesate with more volume. Despite this, I believe I was able to come away with a good idea of how these hold up sound-wise.

Bass

As noted above, I had fit issues, which tends to translate into bass issues. I actually did not have that much problem getting adequate bass out of these. The bass presence is pretty reasonable, but the punchiness and texture were a little lacking. I think some careful EQ and/or equipment matching can bring out a nice bass response from these. These by no means had the brilliant bass of the ZMF Omni, but this is a pretty capable headphone when it comes to bass. I think I'd have liked a bit more control and tightness in the bass region, but like I said, pretty good overall.

Midrange-Treble

Okay, so I'm grouping this together because there are some issues that I had all around with everything but the bass. I love, love, love intimate vocals, but damn, these had singers basically shouting in my ears above the rest of the mix. I think it is something that I could get used to and control with careful amp matching, but it is a bit of a problem.

Additionally, there was a problem I had with the tonality of the headphones. Compared to my Nhoord Grado-style build, these had something of a hollowness in the midrange and treble. It's kind of hard to describe. In one sense, I want to say it was a lack of resolution, but I don't think that is quite it. When I think of unresolving headphones, I tend to think of a headphone that exhibits some graininess. These were not grainy, but rather, the upper registers sounded like there was some resonance or echo that didn't belong. Another way of putting it is that it sounded a little like songs were being played into a can.

Conclusion

Overall, I think my impressions of the sound are NOT solely due to fit, and NOT due to equipment matching. I tried a couple sources, a few amps, and while my general recommendation is that these headphones need warm equipment matched with them, nothing quite made me feel like I could live with these as my only headphone. They weren't bad, per se (other than fit), but they weren't for me.

So, back to the store they go!

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #104 of 263
I wish i could return joeq70 however once you use them in Australia you cannot, have to resell and take a $100-150 loss.

Ok did 12 hours burn in, still sounds the same.

a500x Impressions lows slightly more impactful, mids more natural and balanced maybe a little lower, highs the same
a990z Impressions lows slightly less impactful and less detailed maybe slightly louder, low mids is above balanced which bleed into bass and makes you get headaches(fatiguing) and ruins the sound, highs the same

heres another headphone pdg1, lows reach further than 20hz like 10hz than the a500x etc, mids are the same as a500x slightly recessed, highs are piercing and a bit too loud(gets lowered after burn in)(im guessing these are just m40x's?), comfort wise my ears touch and start to hurt after an hour.

athm50 with old pads sound closest to the pdg1 then a500x, if you like the m50's you'd definitely prefer a500x over all of those.

will try to sell the a990z:)( rip $100-150 AUD) and will be using the a500x with my fiio e10k dac amp as my main.

lows tested with various songs like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7cVXelIwdg
low mids tested with movies and shows like mr robot s02e10
highs from random songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFrYm46Ulo

conclusion:
save your money just buy a a500x, its basically the same driver, unless of course you are a mids person. though i prefer realism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back