Audio-Technica Announces Revised SOLID BASS Headphones and Earphones
Jan 9, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #61 of 82
I'm looking for a portable alternative to the M50, so I'm wondering...

Are the WS77 or WS99 still portable like the WS55? And do they come with any accessories beside the extension cables? A case would be nice, especially at these prices. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #64 of 82
Quote:
It comes with a fancy Japanese manual!

lol, I'm studying Japanese right now, so I might buy more Japan-imported goods in the future when I'm proficient enough to read the manual.
biggrin.gif

That or maybe if I ever possess more money than patience, considering how much overseas shipping adds to the cost.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #65 of 82
I've got a few more questions about the WS77 and 99:

How light are these? Are they comfortable to wear around your neck? Personally, I found the M50 to be a little heavy for my neck.
Current impressions on the build quality?
How comfortable are they with glasses?

Honestly, I want to like these headphones, but at these prices, I'm disappointed that the cable isn't at least detachable. If sound quality is only thing going for them over the WS55, then they better sound like they're worth the extra dollars they cost.

Hell, I don't even care much for fashion, and I like the way the red WS55 looks.        

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #69 of 82
Quote:
I've got a few more questions about the WS77 and 99:

How light are these? Are they comfortable to wear around your neck? Personally, I found the M50 to be a little heavy for my neck.
Current impressions on the build quality?
How comfortable are they with glasses?

Honestly, I want to like these headphones, but at these prices, I'm disappointed that the cable isn't at least detachable. If sound quality is only thing going for them over the WS55, then they better sound like they're worth the extra dollars they cost.

Hell, I don't even care much for fashion, and I like the way the red WS55 looks.        

WS99s:
The total weight is 250 grams. It doesn't feel uncomfortable weight wise, but my ears get fatigued after listening to them for ~3 hours.
They seem to be built strong enough so that it could take a beating and still come out in tact.
I have pretty thick plastic glasses and so far they feel just fine while wearing glasses.

I've never used the WS55 and I don't really have very much headphone experience to compare these with anything, but so far I'm disappointed. It just doesn't have nearly as much bass as I'd like. They're too neutral sounding for me, but I'm going to look into getting an amp to see if I can get the rumbling bass that I was picturing.

I strongly suggest to not take me too seriously as for the most part, I don't know what I'm saying haha.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #71 of 82
Quote:

WS99s:
The total weight is 250 grams. It doesn't feel uncomfortable weight wise, but my ears get fatigued after listening to them for ~3 hours.
They seem to be built strong enough so that it could take a beating and still come out in tact.
I have pretty thick plastic glasses and so far they feel just fine while wearing glasses.

I've never used the WS55 and I don't really have very much headphone experience to compare these with anything, but so far I'm disappointed. It just doesn't have nearly as much bass as I'd like. They're too neutral sounding for me, but I'm going to look into getting an amp to see if I can get the rumbling bass that I was picturing.

I strongly suggest to not take me too seriously as for the most part, I don't know what I'm saying haha.

Sounds like they might have the AT house sound. Pretty neutral/slightly mid-forward maybe? I think that this AT model, like the Sony MDR-1R, is called "solid bass" but really that's just marketing lingo.

Might still be good, but not what you expected. Try to maybe give it some time (of course, they could just be terrible too, I don't know).

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #72 of 82
Quote:
Sounds like they might have the AT house sound. Pretty neutral/slightly mid-forward maybe? I think that this AT model, like the Sony MDR-1R, is called "solid bass" but really that's just marketing lingo.

Might still be good, but not what you expected. Try to maybe give it some time (of course, they could just be terrible too, I don't know).

It feels like music is 'distant' which causes me to constantly want to turn up the music. This is the first pair of over-ear headphones that I've ever purchased; I've previously only used IEMs. Does that sound normal?

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #74 of 82
Yeah it's normal.  I have and still use the Solid Bass IEM's (cks77) from AT and they sound great.  All the SB IEM's I tried have waaay more bass than the SB can's I tried.  Honestly I would recommend the SB IEM's over the cans if you still wanna go the AT route.  As far as AT cans go I can only recommend the PRO700MK2, but those aren't (insert w/e can here) killers either, they do sound pretty good though.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #75 of 82
I cannot imagine that the bigger brother of the ws55 is not pounding like a bitch.....
deadhorse.gif
cause the ws55 definitly is!! while the xb700 is just crazy and is a sub on your head the ws55 gives just the right amount of booming bass but it's more the basslines that are pounding not the kickdrums so it's a whole different game but like the ws55 soooo much more detailed very good clarity and yet very powerefull,so the ws99 must be more of the same but better....if not...
angry_face.gif

But you really do need good quality files at least 320 kbps but flac or wav is better and iphone is also not really that good for quality better get the sansa clip+ for 30 dollars much better so that could be a point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back