Audio-Technica Announces Revised SOLID BASS Headphones and Earphones
Sep 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
On September 24, Audio-Technica officially announced the release of several new headphones and earphones in their popular SOLID BASS line. All six models/variants will be released in Japan on October 19.

First up are the two headphone additions: the ATH-WS77 and the ATH-WS99. Both the WS77 and WS99 use aluminum housings and AT's "dual air chambers" for enhanced bass response. The WS77 utilizes a 40mm driver, while the WS99 has a newly developed 53mm driver. The WS99 also uses a two-piece modular cable design and come with two 0.8m extension cables, one with a mic and one without, to add to the fixed 0.4m length. The WS77 will retail for ¥12600 (~ $162 US), while the WS99's MSRP is ¥25200 (~ $323). As always, prices will likely come down within months of release, typically at online retailers like Amazon Japan.

7801bc53_WS77.jpeg

ATH-WS77

f2ed28eb_WS99.jpeg

The ATH-WS99 is equipped with a 53mm driver and comes with two 80cm extension cables.http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/d4/d4fbfef0_WS99Ext.jpeg

Next we have the new SOLID BASS earphones: the ATH-CKS1000 and limited edition ATH-CKS1000LTD, and the ATH-CKS99 and its mic-equipped variant, the ATH-CKS99i. The CKS1000/1000LTD and the CKS99/99i all use the new "dual chamber mechanism AR," which combines the dual chambers of the CKS90 with aluminum acoustic resistors. Both use 13mm drivers. Like the WS99, the CKS1000 and CKS1000LTD both have modular cables, with the same 0.4m fixed length and two extension cables, one with and one without the mic. The CKS99 will retail for ¥12600 (~ $162 US), while the CKS99i for ¥13650 (~ $175). The CKS1000 and CKS1000LTD will retail for ¥25200 (~ $323).

The ATH-CKS99 (A pic of the CKS99i can be seen
here.)

6f0ca54b_CKS1000LTD.jpeg

The ATH-CKS1000LTD comes in a red/black two-tone color, while the "vanilla" CKS1000 comes in black.
Each come with two extension cables.

49fbae89_CKS1000Diagram.gif

An illustration of the dual chambers and acoustic resistors, as well as the two-position ear tip mounting system

オーテク、切削アルミハウジングの重低音ヘッドフォン -AV Watch

オーテク、SOLID BASSのカナル型最上位「ATH-CKS1000」 -AV Watch

ATH-WS77 | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

ATH-WS99 | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

ATH-CKS99 | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

ATH-CKS99i | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

ATH-CKS1000 | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

ATH-CKS1000LTD | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

-

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 82
I hope the WS77 and WS99 are totally over-ear this time.

Not sure about the WS77, but the WS99 could go either way with its 53mm driver. For reference, 53mm is the same diameter as the transducers in the A series full-size headphones and the portable ES10. The latter seems to be in-between circumaural and supra-aural, depending on ear size.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 82
I wonder when these will be released in the US?  Is this the same driver as the PRO700MK2?  If so, I find them very dark and wonder if the EQ on the high end is more neutral with these.

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 82
Quote:
I wonder when these will be released in the US?  Is this the same driver as the PRO700MK2?  If so, I find them very dark and wonder if the EQ on the high end is more neutral with these.

Judging by the CKS77 and the WS55 they're quite a little V-shaped. Great vocals with well-extended treble and bass extension. I own the CKS77 and they're quite a bit better than my M50s.

By the way Craigster75, do you like treble-happy headphones or do do you like your treble rolled-off? I personally found the CitiScape Downtown, Uptown and the M-Audio Q40 to have their treble rolled-off way too early.  I'm just thinking whether you'd like something like a Beyerdynamic since I see you the V-Moda, Tiesto and other threads all the time.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 82
Quote:
Judging by the CKS77 and the WS55 they're quite a little V-shaped. Great vocals with well-extended treble and bass extension. I own the CKS77 and they're quite a bit better than my M50s.

By the way Craigster75, do you like treble-happy headphones or do do you like your treble rolled-off? I personally found the CitiScape Downtown, Uptown and the M-Audio Q40 to have their treble rolled-off way too early.  I'm just thinking whether you'd like something like a Beyerdynamic since I see you the V-Moda, Tiesto and other threads all the time.

I really prefer neutral mids and highs with enhanced bass and have been struggling to find a headphone that matches that type of EQ.  I am seriously considering the new Ultrasone Signature DJ.  I'm thinking the M-100 and Tiesto may meet this criteria as well.  I consider most "DJ" headphones dark and veiled; Beyers too bright.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 82
Quote:
I really prefer neutral mids and highs with enhanced bass and have been struggling to find a headphone that matches that type of EQ.  I am seriously considering the new Ultrasone Signature DJ.  I'm thinking the M-100 and Tiesto may meet this criteria as well.  I consider most "DJ" headphones dark and veiled; Beyers too bright.

I'm sort of you looking for the best Hifi, but I'm wary of "speciality" brands like Ultrasone and Denon and even V-Moda to an extent. I don't want to spend $1200 on a pair of headphones if I can help it.

I'm hoping the M-100 will have well-extended highs like Audio-Technica but not harsh like a Beyerdynamic. I also find Denons a bit "slow" in terms of transient response.

I'm also worried about the Tiesto since many models seem to have something wonky going on with the treble that I've tried.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 82
Quote:
I'm sort of you looking for the best Hifi, but I'm wary of "speciality" brands like Ultrasone and Denon and even V-Moda to an extent. I don't want to spend $1200 on a pair of headphones if I can help it.

I'm hoping the M-100 will have well-extended highs like Audio-Technica but not harsh like a Beyerdynamic. I also find Denons a bit "slow" in terms of transient response.

I'm also worried about the Tiesto since many models seem to have something wonky going on with the treble that I've tried.

Agreed regarding Tiesto as I am not an AKG fan.  The M-100 will definitely not be harsh.  The Ultrasone DJ looks VERY interesting.  It may be similar to the Signature Pro (a fantastic headphone), but with more bass.  I know it is ridiculously expensive, but these are available as low as $699 even though they list for over $1,000.  Yamaha Pro 500 comes out next week and may also compete in this category.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 82
I don't DJ, and don't play my music really loud that's why I don't want shelved treble. I like a warm (bass) tilt in my headphones but I'm not a total basshead. I don't use bass EQ or basshead amps (Digizoid 2). I'd prefer something closer to neutral but a little more bass and treble extension (Philips Citiscape Uptown over the Brainwavs HM5) for example. I listen to Dubstep, Trance and Classical about evenly so I prefer something that's maybe slightly V shaped, but also neutral enough for movies and games.

I think I should jump the gun and just buy the JVC HA-S500 which seems to be getting a lot of praise. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #12 of 82
Quote:
I don't DJ, and don't play my music really loud that's why I don't want shelved treble. I like a warm (bass) tilt in my headphones but I'm not a total basshead. I don't use bass EQ or basshead amps (Digizoid 2). I'd prefer something closer to neutral but a little more bass and treble extension (Philips Citiscape Uptown over the Brainwavs HM5) for example. I listen to Dubstep, Trance and Classical about evenly so I prefer something that's maybe slightly V shaped, but also neutral enough for movies and games.

I think I should jump the gun and just buy the JVC HA-S500 which seems to be getting a lot of praise. 

Makes sense to me, also a good value based on reviews.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 82

D'oh! How can I forget that the PRO700MK2 also uses 53mm drivers? Still, I'll give AT the benefit of the doubt and assume that their not stretching the truth when they say that the driver was developed exclusively for the WS99, and that they were aiming for tight, punchy, fast bass as opposed to the "club" sound of the PROs (according to their website).

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 82
Quote:
D'oh! How can I forget that the PRO700MK2 also uses 53mm drivers? Still, I'll give AT the benefit of the doubt and assume that their not stretching the truth when they say that the driver was developed exclusively for the WS99, and that they were aiming for tight, punchy, fast bass as opposed to the "club" sound of the PROs (according to their website).

I've tried both the WS55 and CKS77 and own the CKS77 personally and it's not a dark signature with rolled-off treble. It's very crisp and sparkly with a fast decay in the bass that is not boomy like a Denon. I'm expecting a refinement of this sound with the WS77, WS99 and CKS1000.

I'd say the sound of my CKS77 is similar to my ATH-M50 with more bass extension, quantity, a little bit less but better treble and less-recessed mids. It's still slightly V-shaped but less so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back