Audio Technica AD2000 or W5000
May 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 24
W5000 is more refined, has better details and larger soundstage but lacks bite and slamming and hard hitting bass attack of AD2000 which works wonder for fast rock (AD2000 + DragonForce = nonstop head banging
biggrin.gif
).

May 17, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 24
x2 on hard bite and slam on AD2000. For me they work better with progrock/metal (I could say for any type of music for that matter) than Denons. Great cans.

May 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 is more refined, has better details and larger soundstage but lacks bite and slamming and hard hitting bass attack of AD2000 which works wonder for fast rock (AD2000 + DragonForce = nonstop head banging
biggrin.gif
).

I had both and like Andrew_WOT explained it has better details, but it doesn't have any hard bass attack. I felt the sound stage was bigger on the AD2000, but it could be because it was an open can

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD2K - great all-rounder, does excellent job for electronic music IMO

W5000- I liked them a LOT for classical and jazz

Again like Rednamalas1 said that AD2000 is a good all-rounder and easy to drive. It is good for rock as well as it has that bass drum attack and kick
smily_headphones1.gif

I liked the W5000 for jazz, vocal jazz and classical as well.

May 17, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 24
You guys are making it tough. The ad2k sounds like a monster but the w5k excels with jazz, and classical. I listen to too many genres for my own good.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am going to be one of those guys that has a set of cans for every recording he has. I have been missing that good old AT sound since I sold my AD700s.

I think I will just save up and then at the moment of purchase I might just flip a coin.

Is the W5K tons better than the W1K?

May 17, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 24
I would keep K501 for classical/acoustic music,
and grab AD2K to compliment any other genre. (btw, agressive classical sounds wonderful on AD2K - such as carmina burana etc - mainly its ability to convey timpani drums!)

add grado for occasional head-banging and you're done
smily_headphones1.gif

this way, you have phones focused on

1) AD2k (bass/mid presentation, covers almost every genre known to man)
2) K501 (emphasis on soundstage and acoustic music, great for classical - piano/strings/vocal etc)
3)grado SR225/325i/RS1 (emphasis on highs, small or no soundstage, for occasional Metal/rock/prog rock/classic rock/indie rock/ you get the idea...)

at least that's what I'm trying to build into..

grab a gilmore lite/GS-1 along the way, and you're done
wink.gif

May 18, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 24
I like the W5000 way better. The AD2000 has mids colorations I just can't bear.

May 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you not happy with the AKG K501's for classical?

Yes very happy, and you just made my choice for me.
biggrin.gif
The W5Ks are so pretty and I guess I was looking for a reason to buy them.

I forgot that I was looking for a HD580 replacement. I think I like AT's house sound a tad bit better than Sennheiser's house sound. AD2K it is.

May 18, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 24
Head-Fi is great - I was about to ask the same question(s) and then I find this thread started today!

I am still confused over models, can anyone help? The AT web site does not show ATH-AD2000 as a current model ... since everyone here loves it, is it a must buy before it disappears (for listening to rock?).

Also there is no ATH-W1000 on the site ... did the ATH-W5000 replace it totally? Is it really better? (ciphercomplete asked this but no one answered).

May 18, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes very happy, and you just made my choice for me.
biggrin.gif
The W5Ks are so pretty and I guess I was looking for a reason to buy them.

I forgot that I was looking for a HD580 replacement. I think I like AT's house sound a tad bit better than Sennheiser's house sound. AD2K it is.

I think you will be happy with the AD2000s. They are a good all around can and I too listen to many different genres. I mean a lot.

Also, in regards to your last inquiry I like the W5000 more than the W1000s as well.

I like the K501s and K500 for classical and jazz as well.

May 18, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi is great - I was about to ask the same question(s) and then I find this thread started today!

I am still confused over models, can anyone help? The AT web site does not show ATH-AD2000 as a current model ... since everyone here loves it, is it a must buy before it disappears (for listening to rock?).

Also there is no ATH-W1000 on the site ... did the ATH-W5000 replace it totally? Is it really better? (ciphercomplete asked this but no one answered).

The AD2000 etc. are not sold in America and don't appear on the American site. If you view the Japanese version, they are still there. They are still in production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back