Audio Technica AD2000 or W5000
May 18, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi is great - I was about to ask the same question(s) and then I find this thread started today!

I am still confused over models, can anyone help? The AT web site does not show ATH-AD2000 as a current model ... since everyone here loves it, is it a must buy before it disappears (for listening to rock?).

Also there is no ATH-W1000 on the site ... did the ATH-W5000 replace it totally? Is it really better? (ciphercomplete asked this but no one answered).

You can still purchase both of them from audiocubes. They are a HF sponsored member as well
wink.gif

May 18, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Riceboy and Fetou -- thanks! Cleared everything up. Will buy from audiocubes.
Head-Fi'ers are the best.

pricejapan.com is usually cheaper

May 18, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
riceboy, why did you sell AD2K though?

also, methinks you need a L3000 in your rig
very_evil_smiley.gif

You are very evil Rednamalas1 lol. Although I liked the AD2000 a bunch, I got the Zu cable for my HD650s and it was like night and day. With my Dragon amp, there was more detail (believe it or not), great bass extension, and nice highs (not shrill or bright at all). I was having a bunch of fun. Trust me, I had 4 different cables for that can and although I liked it, it wasn't that fun to me or I wasn't reaching for it as much as I do now. It is one of my favorite cans right now. Also, I wanted to fund another purchase too and I was really happy with the HD650s so I sold the AD2000s. I listened to the HD650s out of the Beta 22s and they sounded great, but the synergy was with the Singlepower amp more.

About the L3000s, I had one in my rig and I loved it, but after about 6 months I let it go and haven't looked back. Though the L3000s were so good for metal and rock. Now I use my Grados to substitute for that, even though the L3000s were better IMHO for rock and metal. Right now I'm in heaven with the R10s. With my amp and source it is fantastic. Any way see you in another thread sooner than later I bet
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Riceboy and Fetou -- thanks! Cleared everything up. Will buy from audiocubes.
Head-Fi'ers are the best.

Your very welcome. Let us know how it goes. Best of luck if you do decide to get them
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 24
I only used my W5000's for classical, jazz, vocal

And they are pretty amp picky, they need an amp that is good with low impedence phones.
I sold them because:
lack of synergy with my amp (Darkvoice 332 at the time),
their genre exclusivity vs price ratio,
and their fit issues (hard to forget that they're there)

...My K501's will be here soon.

May 18, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only
...My K501's will be here soon.

I think you will like it dreamwhisper. I have been enjoying my K500 and K501s for jazz and classical.

May 19, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #24 of 24
Both are great. I had both at the same time with the HA5000. AD2000 has a bigger sound stage and more rockin' bass but less of all that the W5000 do exceedingly well. Acoustic bass on the W5000 is phenomenal. I did not enjoy them so much with rock and soul which are my meat and potatoes. There is one deal-breaker though for me, the are excessively bright to my ears. It is just not comfortable to sit and listen more than 15 minutes. The fit can be a bit odd, but I can get comfortable with them. Without the brightness, I would treasure them. Well-recorded bossa nova is sublime on the W5000s.

Both AD2000 and W5000 sound best through the HA5000 (based on my somewhat limited experience).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back