Audio Shops in Toronto?
Dec 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #31 of 66
charles is the best and a very cool guy. i always drive from nothern quebec to go buy stuff at his shop. 22 hours round trip drive and it's always worth it. he is always expanding and adding more high end stuff. slowly but surely. he is focused on high end stuff.

bay bloor radio. i bought my grado gs1000i there. i told the guy i give you the same price that they are on most of the place on the net and he agreed immediately. yes the stuff is priced expensive there, but you can deal easily.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #33 of 66
Quote:
I didn't make it up to see him today
He has some great Boxing Day sales posted

i just bought an hifiman he 500 from him. but this time he will ship them to my home. i am not in the mood for the 22 hours drive. he has an he 6 in stock too.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #35 of 66
You won't be disappointed with the HE-500.
They're fantastic and very fun headphones.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #37 of 66
I'm pretty sure BBR has a lot more selection in store than online. If you want to audition something that you don't see being displayed, they can often pull it out for you. I don't remember their website's selection impressing me at all though.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #38 of 66
I live in the north end of Ontario, so my closest headphone retailer is the headfoneshop.

I'll be honest, the prices on their website state them at the original price. For example the AKG K550's which are $320 there, whereas it could be $220 on amazon.

Has anyone had any luck on discounts with the headfoneshop?

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #39 of 66
Quote:
at sources do they have at headfoneshop?
ill probably go next week with my iphone 4 and test some of the stuff out

The best source they have there out for demo IIRC is the Fostex HP-A8C.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #41 of 66
The only discount I've been able to get is on their open box items (when paid in cash)... otherwise he seems firm on his pricing, but tell him that you're able to pay in cash and you may be able to work something out.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #42 of 66
My advice for demo is also Bay Bloor Radio or Planet of Sound in Toronto, and Headfoneshop near midtown.  Bay Bloor Radio is actually fairly competitive during holiday events and promotions periods.  You just need to know when that happens.  I personally have no problem letting them charge a few extra dollars because of the extensive demo service they offer.

Lastly, one should also check out Canada Computers for the lowest price, they started carrying a lot of headphones brands recently, including Audio Techinca, Grados, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Fostex and Shure.  Obviously you cannot demo, but their price usually is the lowest.

I know this is an old thread but I would not recommend Headphoneshop. They never match or do any better than already overpriced.

Baybloor is overpriced but during the holiday you can negotiate, AVShop also is good place where you can make some deal. Good luck.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #43 of 66
I live in the north end of Ontario, so my closest headphone retailer is the headfoneshop.

I'll be honest, the prices on their website state them at the original price. For example the AKG K550's which are $320 there, whereas it could be $220 on amazon.

Has anyone had any luck on discounts with the headfoneshop?

Nope !, I don't bother with headfoneshop.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #44 of 66
I had a great time at HeadphoneShop in Toronto yesterday, their selection is great - there were headphones (including all the flagships) from HiFiMan, Audeze, Sennheiser, Fostex, Ultrasone, Stax and tons of other models as well as some DACs, amps, HD players and all kinds of related products.  Spent a couple of hours auditioning Woo Audio WA7 amp/DAC with HD800 and LCD-XC and ended up picking up the WA7 amp with WA7tp tube power supply and the tube upgrades for the amp.  Charles was very helpful and made sure I tried all the options I was interested in with the sources I wanted.  In the end, I got a great deal on the WA7/WA7tp combo and upgraded tubes, paid far less than it would have cost me were I to order directly from Woo Audio in the States, especially with the Loonie taking a beating lately, not to mention shipping.

I am happy that I found this store just when I was researching several products on the net and was ready to order stuff blind.  This is always a challenge for us Canadians as we not only have limited local product availability but also have to pay a lot more than Americans due to currency exchange, high shipping rates, Customs/taxes and additional expense associated with returning stuff bought abroad.  I had a great time at Charles' store and will definitely go back to audition Stax SR-009 and some IEMs.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #45 of 66
I purchased my LCD3's from Charles and my HD800's from Alex at BBR.  Charles did take some off the top with the LCD's and Alex happily price matched on the HD800's so I feel that I paid a very fair price on both.  I bought neither pair during "sale season".  

I personally feel that both shops are good to deal with and both let you listen to anything you want (for as long as you want).  Every time I see Charles, I have to book 3 hours 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back