Audio Racks?
Jan 26, 2002 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Bob

100+ Head-Fier
I am just curious ... does anyone keep their headphone rig on an audio rack. If you do, which one?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 27
My audio rack was full. I could fit the Creek OBH11 or Headroom Supreme (vertically) next to my preamp and phono stage. But the MG Head OTL was too big.

So I have it on the large "chest" I have my TV on, connected to preamp with 2.0meter Straightwire interconnects.

The amp is some distance from my recliner, so I use a 15' extention.

Jan 26, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 27
Why pay when you can make your own racks with wood from your local Home Depot?

Actually, I just set my headphone rig on the floor (underneath computer desk) on foam padding.

Jan 26, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 27
I use this Salamander rack. I'm using the video rack, because it was cheaper than the 3-shelf audio rack of theirs at the time.

Jan 26, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 27
I'm looking into the Vantage Point at audioadvisor. Too burned out to DIY...plus I can't match the quality for the price. The best I can do is a superior design at a far far higher pricepoint , but we're talking massive man hours.

Jan 27, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 27
What constitutes a high quality rack? It's just a placement thing, as long as it holds everything in place without problems (rattling, things falling off, etc), it is good. Achieving good aesthetics through DIY might be difficult for most, but why does that matter? I think cost benifit far outweighs paying a premium for "looks". Sorry if I've offended you "classy" people, I'm a minimalist...
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 27
All an audio rack has to do is keep the pieces far enough apart to prevent interference and absorb vibrations.

Oh yeah, morphsci's rack is damn good looking and it is DIY.

Jan 27, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 27
morphscis rack looks well built, nice.
I built mine out of pine and silicon rubber sheets. When I get a house of my own, I'm going to have one custom made from marble, glass, and sorbothane.

Dude, them Alessandro MS IIs look cool! Do they sound like Grados(as in unbalanced and bright) and are uncomfortable? If not, I wanna try them on!

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Dude, them Alessandro MS IIs look cool! Do they sound like Grados(as in unbalanced and bright) and are uncomfortable? If not, I wanna try them on!

The MS II's and the MS Pro's definitely have the Grado signature sound. However, to me the Alessandro phones have more clarity in the midrange and better treble extension. After they were burned in I never found the MS II's to be bright. In fact I actually find the MS Pro's I bought from Vertigo to be brighter than the MS II's. However, neither one is excessively bright for my tastes. But then again I am 45 so perhaps my high frequency hearing acuity may be somewhat lacking. The MS II's are also not as comfortable as the MS Pro's but I can wear either pair for a couple of hours without any discomfort. I do not consider the Alessandros unbalanced, frequency wise, for the music I listen too most often which is mostly rock and blues with a smattering of jazz. I do not like them at all for most classical except for relatively "light" pieces. For that I have the HD600's on my to buy list.

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 27
I have a Salamander rack that I use for my home theater. Perched atop the rack is a miniscule dated 20" TV. The bottom had always been reserved for laserdisc box sets. The box sets have been recently moved and replaced with audio stuff (the ART DI/O and Corda HA-1 when I'm home)--there's enough room down there for the MG Head OTL when it arrives.

My goal is to replace transfer the HT components to a wider but shorter rack/cabinet of some sort that can hold a larger TV and be more aesthetically pleasing in a living room environment. When this happens, the Salamander rack will be free to travel into my office where I hope to eventually fill it with a better transport and a full sized headphone amp.

I'm a geek, when I'm home, alone, it's typical that I'm on the computer and that's when I want to listen to headphones the most.

Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back