AUDIO PLATFORM: Vibration Free?
Apr 7, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #31 of 47
You know what...screw this...

I am gonna put a VPi Scout in the back of a flatbed truck and play some vinyl tunes while driving around the Grand Canyon
tongue.gif

FUUNNN crap
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #32 of 47
BTW folks (slightly off topic).Dupont Corian is a seriously cool raw material for making shelves and such for audio.
Does it have the "scientific" lab test approved isolation properties of the latest and greatest ?

Don't know.In fact it may suck in the measuring area.but this stuff comes in soooo many colors,looks like natural marble and works like a dream.

cut it like wood,sand it,shape it,sand out the scratches then seal and buff it !

Looks great in real life for anything from amp stands (decorative not isolation),rack shelves (even flexis),CDP platforms (in combination with other materials if isolation needed),etc.

I personally like the green tones with oak or cherry and the slate color with walnut and cherry and you can get ideas from the local lumber yard/Home Depot.just check out the Corian kitchen counter tops or bathroom vanities.
a dream to work with and looks just like real stone.

It is time we get some damn wood tones and color back into audio.Some "Style" and more of a furniture look in our audio furniture

Basic black boring

Bring the color back to audio !

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
I have Granite slabs under most of my equipment, I had a choice of about 20 colors, I chose black

Where is a good place to pick up scrap pieces of stone? I remember there being a thread about this a while back, but could not find it.

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Where is a good place to pick up scrap pieces of stone?

what do you mean by "scrap pieces " ?

If you intend to work the stone yourself be aware you will need a wet saw table for the cuts.Not cheap and not easy.So you would probably be better off having a stone/monument company do the cuts for you then you can do the sealing yourself.

Check your yellow pages for leads

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
what do you mean by "scrap pieces "

Well, I dont really want to work the stone myself as I wouldnt have a clue and dont have the equipment.

I guess what I was looking for is a business that might generate some odd pieces of stone that they dont need and as a result would sell them to someone like myself at a low price.
wink.gif

Planning on using these pieces of stone to support various components... or maybe if I can get a large piece, sit a rack on it.

Thanks,

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #37 of 47
just look under "stone-natural" in the yellow pages and you should get a bunch of hits.This is where local contractors would go for their stone counters,vanity tops,decorative bases,whatever.

many will have a showroom with samples and do not have a minimum purchase plus they will for a small fee cut the stone to size for you-a real help for doing either amp bases or equipment rack shelves.

the Corian does not have the mass of natural stone but is far easier to work with and even a skil saw is OK.It can be routed,shaped and sanded
Pretty much anything you can do with a piece of solid wood you can do with Corian and except for the weight would be hard to tell from the real thing,that is why it is so popular for kitchen counter tops.The "look" and color varieties

Another option worth considering is a local garden center,even better if it is one that caters to landscapers and Koi pond builders.You can find many instances of pre-cut decorative stone materials that only will need for you to add feet and seal/polish the stone.

anywhere contractors buy goods,even the home depot garden center and cabinet shop will have maybe that one special thing you need to inspire for a project.

good luck with the inspiration man
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #39 of 47
That was really helpfull. Thanks Rick!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
9.5 out of 10 says that Guru won't build it.
tongue.gif

10/10 would have been more accurate...I just like to think of stuff like this...

On other forums I think about plasma containment chambers for anti-matter
tongue.gif

Yeah...I am certifiably insane
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #42 of 47
Man all these designs look good but i dont know how practical they are. I would be more worried about dropping all the rig on the floor. If you touch your rig on a moving base wont it start flopping up and down anyway? What about dampening these vibrations?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
Man all these designs look good but i dont know how practical they are. I would be more worried about dropping all the rig on the floor. If you touch your rig on a moving base wont it start flopping up and down anyway? What about dampening these vibrations?
smily_headphones1.gif

thats why we have springs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back