AUDIO PLATFORM: Vibration Free?
Apr 5, 2005 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Does anyone have ideas for vibration free audio platforms?

This is something I had in mind...

Steel Wires
Counterweights
Damped platform
air damped platform (or) friction damped platform (at pulleys)

IMAGE:

8234platform.GIF

Any ideas? I am still drawing a few other ideas...

OBJECTIVE:

To do a DIY audio platform that renders the audio gear immune to short wavelength large amplitude OR short wavelength small amplitude or any variation of the two...

The idea is that the vibrations will be transmitted through the damped floor platform to the pulleys. The inertia of the platform and the counterweights will have to be set so that these vibrations are killed in the steel wire / torque of the pulley.

Oscillations can be a problem...but can someone with good vectors and physics background give me a geometry or better idea? I think HeadFiers can build their own DIY platforms for under $200.00 which will eliminate the need for costly vibration management devices like pads, feet etc.

Thanks - now you can flame away as usual
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 47
Hey man.

I really don't know anything about anything, but it looks like the platform would easily tip towards the left if the left weight wasn't extremely large.

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 47
think "dissimiliar" materials GS.

lose the steel wires and replace them with hemp,cotton or even rayon cording.Anything that will not transmit the mini-vibrations back through the hangers
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 47
oh yeah.

a little "out there" for my taste but anyway-

weights could be cast lead with a brass loop in the top-in other words deep sea fishing sinkers.

the platform again you don't want to be metal so maybe wood or even stone (heavy man)

The frame could be aluminum I-Beams like for framing out offices.Easy to cut with either a table or circular saw

just some fuel for your fire dude

Rickamundo

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
think "dissimiliar" materials GS.

lose the steel wires and replace them with hemp,cotton or even rayon cording.Anything that will not transmit the mini-vibrations back through the hangers
cool.gif

My thoughts were that STEEL has nice elasticity...and would therefore absorb vibrations? Anything less stiff would cause oscillations or just keep stretching under the load?

Anyone still in touch with their physics
tongue.gif
I need someone who can analyze moments for the system shown above.

<digs up physics books
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
>

Gah!

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 47
If you use speakers, the platform itself will only solve part of the problem. Lower-frequency waves will still potentialy cause the equipment to vibrate, albeit less than floor based mechanical.

I personally have found tha cheap tweaks for platform/stand vibration control do the job well, but the Symposium-like shelves do an even better job (or maybe in addition to the other products), as they also focus on internal component vibration, through mechanical devices (motors for CD or turntables). They try to drain the vibration away from the equipment itself, while also isolating from the shelf/stand perspective as well.

If you look at the Symposium site, and also at www.audio-resolution.com (cheaper near-clones), you can get an idea of how they layer dissimilar materials to help dissipate vibrations.

My 2 cents. Based on buying some of the mucho expensive stuff, then trying some of the cheap tweaks, the Audio Resolution platforms gave me the best bang for the buck, by a long shot. Still not dirt cheap, but - and i hate to say this term - like a component upgrade!
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

My thoughts were that STEEL has nice elasticity...and would therefore absorb vibrations? Anything less stiff would cause oscillations or just keep stretching under the load?

you want to dissapate,attenuate and not transmit from A to B any vibrations so only very dissimiliar materials that don't "talk" the same language (in frequency of resonance) will be effective.

either serious mass or non sympatic or both.

Metal transmits to metal.The frequency may change but transmit it will

Metal does NOT transmit to organic or manmade cording.

Apr 6, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 47
ok call me stupid, but I have a few questions

1 - How will something like that get rid of vibrations when having it on, say, the floor wouldn't? Does the floor vibrate? If not then why not stick them on the floor, and if so then why wouldn't the stand vibrate and transmit it down the cables?

2 - What about the resonance of the whole system? If you're watching a movie and you hit the resonant frequency of that mass/spring/damper system, wouldn't that completely negate the advantage of having a system like this in the first place?

3 - What's so bad about vibrations anyway? These are solid state devices, you could shake them vigorously while they're playing and they wouldn't do anything differently....you could set them upside down and they would be the exact same. (this applies to everything but cd/dvd players, or is that what these stands are designed for?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
Hey man.

I really don't know anything about anything, but it looks like the platform would easily tip towards the left if the left weight wasn't extremely large.

Do you mean "tip towards the right"? If not then I don't really know what you're asking, if so then no it wouldn't, if you got the masses right (and he has the large and small ones right), at least not at first, but the whole platform would shift to the right. As it sits in that first picture, the vertical component of the left force on the platform would be roughly equal to the vertical component of the right force on the platform (which would actually be the entire right force, since the whole thing is vertical). The problem is at the left side of the platform there's also a force pulling it to the right and there's nothing pushing back to the left to hold it still. So you have a net force pushing it to the right and it would swing into the support. It's fixed in the second diagram though.

Apr 6, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 47
Yeah, I think that these sort of isolation devices are only really effective on optical drives, turntables and anything with tubes.

Apr 6, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Does the floor vibrate?

yes,unless cement

walls vibrate,ceilings vibrate and sheetrock with 2x4 studs is the worst ! A damn echo chamber !

Quote:

What about the resonance of the whole system?

everything vibrates and some a little,some a lot.Some vibrate and the event decays rapidly,some it decays over time.

You want to know what frequency something vibrates at ?

Rap it with a spoon and listen ! Everything has a sound and you would be surprised how "hollow" sounding mid priced CD players are.All space man.

Apr 6, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 47
The theory behind something like this, beyond the obvious floor-born vibration, is isolating components from Earth's natural vibrational frequency. You might want to buy or learn to DIY from Machina Dynamica Nimbus platform.

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina24.htm

But in my opinion, even when a platform like this is used, you still need a system to dissipate resonance/vibration that will make it to the component through air, interconnects, power cords, and finally self-generated vibrations (from transformers, motors, etc). This is when something like Neuance platforms will help dissipate energy. So in reality, one would need something like the Nimbus AND Neuance together.

Even then, you really can't get away from every source of resonance/vibration. More likely, you are shifting the resonance frequency up and down while attenuating the amplitude to come to a set of resonances that sounds best to you. Been there, done that, and basically given up trying to get to near-perfection..

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 47
What if I have more than one component? Does that mean I have to buy more and more stands for each component? I just don't see how much of an audible difference that stuff could make
confused.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
What if I have more than one component? Does that mean I have to buy more and more stands for each component? I just don't see how much of an audible difference that stuff could make
confused.gif

You can stack them all on that platform. The diagram is just an exaggeration. Ideally you would have 3-4 levels each with its own counterbalance system.

The first diagram is wrong and I will take it down...the RIGHT component of the force on the left connection will pull the platform into the stand...not good
tongue.gif

Second diagram will work though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back