AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Apr 9, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #3,691 of 3,694
Curious, what is the proper way to change the sample rate in Dante Controller/Virtual Sound Card?

I assume you have to go into each device in Dante Controller, go to "Device Config" and then set the number? It's interesting that when I do set the number in Dante Controller for the Virtual Sound Card device it immediately grays it out to not be clicked on and says "This device does not support sample rate configuration".
You have to change it in your computer preferences and your player. In my case, I would have to change it in Mac’s Audio Midi and in Audirvana’s Preferences.

Yggy does so well with Redbook that I’ve just stuck with 44. At some point I should try JJ’s recommendation of 88.

Apr 9, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #3,693 of 3,694
Curious, what is the proper way to change the sample rate in Dante Controller/Virtual Sound Card?

I assume you have to go into each device in Dante Controller, go to "Device Config" and then set the number? It's interesting that when I do set the number in Dante Controller for the Virtual Sound Card device it immediately grays it out to not be clicked on and says "This device does not support sample rate configuration".
Since the Dante AOIP system is primarily a pro-audio tool, 'easily' changing the SR (Sample Rate) is considered a 'bad' thing due to all of the up and down stream devices that would need to be reconfigured as well.
And most don't have SR following for that reason.

And in a complex setup, say like a concert, it would be shall we say 'problematic' at best.
And more like a nightmare as portions of the system ceased to function, all of a sudden like… 😳

Also an AOIP setup IS meant to deal with complex requirements with differing audio feeds all at the same time.
And generally us audiophools run extremely simple setups in comparison, since we only have 2 channels running in one direction with a limited number of h/w devices too boot.

What I have been doing is making ALL tracks play at 88.2KHz inside the JRiver player.
So all DSP functions including SR conversion, happens and is THEN broadcast to the dac at my desired fixed 88.2KHz SR.

And since I'm running a Jggy Dac which is 'optimized' for low SR rates, I have no need to accommodate the top end of the range of SR's in the first place.
And I have very few high SR files in the first place, and have heard little to no real improvement when I did compare low vs high SR files from the same albums, so the 'need' to deal with SR following is a non issue for me.

And often many of the AOIP h/w devices have a limited range of SR's to begin with.
For instance my RedNet 3 doesn't support 176.4KHz (but does support 192KHz) which is ok for my setup, while other AOIP converter h/w doesn't go above 96KHz.
In short there is no 'universal' h/w convention in place, nor where all SR's are supported by all h/w.
This makes for a much more complicated system setup and can result in 'unexpected' consequences when a change is made.

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #3,694 of 3,694
So, the RedNet D16R MkII has been out for some time. Anyone got it? Is it any better?

Since Focusrite did something to drivers/software to fix "Not present on the network" bug after some uptime. It has not been problem since.
Now I am trying to get Audinate/Focusrite to fix similar problem. Same thing appears after computer recovers from sleep-mode. This does not happen everytime. Do you have same problems?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back