AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
May 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #3,091 of 3,694
With a firmware update and a new version of Controller you can do SRC with a D16 or an RN3 but to be honest it is very buggy.

You would need to check with Focusrite to see if your AM2 can do SRC.

I just leave everything on 192K and it sounds wonderful.

Cool. That is a nice walk around. I will try to do the same thing tomorrow. Thanks!

May 25, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #3,093 of 3,694
Can I input optical from my apple tv into my mbp 2015 and output to undaes-o?

May 26, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,094 of 3,694
Has anyone here been in contact with Audinate regarding Dante Virtual Soundcard for Windows? Does Audinate read this thread?
Every other pro audio interface I've ever used on Windows installs (enables) both WDM and ASIO driver support _simultaneously_.
Right now, Windows users must use the hacky VBAudio cable or similar to route WDM to ASIO in order to "sort of" have both at the same time.

May 26, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,095 of 3,694
I have called them and also emailed them and found them to be very responsive.

I do not think that their software support Windows sound directly. You need the free third party virtual cable software that was mention earlier.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #3,096 of 3,694
There is a component for foobar called ASIO Support foo_out_asio.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

Hi jabbr.

I have seen in your signature that you have a Grimm CC1 and a Mutec-3+USB.

I also have a Mutec-3+USB and would like to get Grimm CC1,
but I've recently seen that Mutec has released their Ref 10 MHz clock so I was wondering whether there is any way to plug this Ref 10 into CC1,
and do you think it would make any difference?

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #3,097 of 3,694
Hi jabbr.

I have seen in your signature that you have a Grimm CC1 and a Mutec-3+USB.

I also have a Mutec-3+USB and would like to get Grimm CC1,
but I've recently seen that Mutec has released their Ref 10 MHz clock so I was wondering whether there is any way to plug this Ref 10 into CC1,
and do you think it would make any difference?

No, it is of no use to add a Reference clock to the CC1.

On the site of Grimm Audio there are some interesting white papers, including 1 or 2 explaining the situation when Ref-clocks are and are not usefull. It all depends on the quality of the oscillator circuit and the signal locking mechanism (narrow/wide) used in the master clock whether adding a ref-clock makes any sense.

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #3,098 of 3,694
No, it is of no use to add a Reference clock to the CC1.

On the site of Grimm Audio there are some interesting white papers, including 1 or 2 explaining the situation when Ref-clocks are and are not usefull. It all depends on the quality of the oscillator circuit and the signal locking mechanism (narrow/wide) used in the master clock whether adding a ref-clock makes any sense.
Thanks for the info.

I've actually contacted Grimm as well and got some documents sent by them to read up on it.
It would be great if someone could actually buy both and make sure that there are no differences. :)

Anyway, I can say that when I added CyberShaft OP14 to my Mutec, the change was noticeable, but not as big as when I first added Mutec MC-3+USB.

So, could you tell me how much of a difference does the CC1 make when it's plugged into Mutec, compared to not having any reclocker at all and then adding a Mutec?

Because if CC1 + Ref10 make no sense, I should choose only one and not waste my money on both.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #3,099 of 3,694
I would also like to know the answer to that question. Although I have just ordered a CC1 and there is an 8 week waiting time for a new batch. I'm not using a Mutec though. I have the D16 and will slave to the CC1 master clock and then AES out into my DAC.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #3,100 of 3,694
I just heard from Mutec that for those who are yanking the SMPS for a LPS in their 3+ (w/w-o USB) the MAX supply voltage is 6.0Vdc
I have found that 5.8Vdc or less is best, down to 5.1Vdc.

JJ

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3,101 of 3,694
I would also like to know the answer to that question. Although I have just ordered a CC1 and there is an 8 week waiting time for a new batch. I'm not using a Mutec though. I have the D16 and will slave to the CC1 master clock and then AES out into my DAC.
Lucky you! :)

Please let us know how much the sound quality improves when you get it.

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,102 of 3,694
Thanks for the info.

I've actually contacted Grimm as well and got some documents sent by them to read up on it.
It would be great if someone could actually buy both and make sure that there are no differences. :)

Anyway, I can say that when I added CyberShaft OP14 to my Mutec, the change was noticeable, but not as big as when I first added Mutec MC-3+USB.

So, could you tell me how much of a difference does the CC1 make when it's plugged into Mutec, compared to not having any reclocker at all and then adding a Mutec?

Because if CC1 + Ref10 make no sense, I should choose only one and not waste my money on both.

I have a D16, an Antelope LiveClock, and a Mutec USB. Using the external clock for the D16 made a big difference. When I also had the hooked LiveClock up to the Mutec I did not detect a difference. I think that the Mutec already has a very good internal clock. I am using AES between the Mutec, D16, and my DAC..

YMMV :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #3,103 of 3,694
I'm getting confused now! Are folk using an external clock to reclock the D16? I thought an external clock would only influence something at the digital to analog conversion or analog to digital? D16 is purely digital. I ordered a CC1 to reclock the signal going out from my D16 into my DAC.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,104 of 3,694
A Word Clock is used to synchronize an entire chain of digital devices, mainly used in pro audio setups, (studios, remote setups etc.).

Us audiophools are using them for the same reason only our setups are much simpler.

And most dacs meant for the non-pro user don't have a WC input, so we use the WC's to synch the rest of the gear in our digital audio stream that feeds our dacs.
AOIP is a prime example, where we are also using reclockers or other types of DDC's in sequence.

In some cases using an external WC is a step up in SQ, while in other cases, not so much, as has been noted earlier in this thread.

IOW a WC is a way of getting all the devices in the digital chain to operate in lock step.
Some gear works better this way, while other gear already has 'better' internal clocks and so a WC can degrade or not make any difference to the SQ.

JJ

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #3,105 of 3,694
I'm getting confused now! Are folk using an external clock to reclock the D16? I thought an external clock would only influence something at the digital to analog conversion or analog to digital? D16 is purely digital. I ordered a CC1 to reclock the signal going out from my D16 into my DAC.

I am using the LiveClock as an external clock for my D16 and the Mutec as a reclocker. You can also use it as an external clock for the Mutec but in my case I did not see any benefit. I did feel that the LiveClock was better than the internal clock of the D16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back