AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Mar 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,002 of 3,694
For those of us who wouldn't know how to use a soldering iron on a dare, what's the recommendation for finding someone to make this conversion?

How best to describe the work to be done?

Looks like a great upgrade.

Thanks for posting the information.

Joel

Let me first say this - my estimate of 2-3 times better than the D16 itself is really underestimated. I can't put a number on it, but it's high...

Probably the easiest thing to do is copy the photos I've posted and show them to the person at an electronic repair shop.

If doing the same change as me, you would need the following:

1. Meiyan S130 LPS. Could even ask them to make the same change I did. (change 2-pin to 3-pin, with additional earth ground, and -5v connected to earth ground as well). I could provide a better pic if they need to see it. I did ask them, but they didn't understand what I was asking for. Maybe a picture would help and they wouldn't mind doing it. The guy who did mine basically said these changes are replicating what the SMPS in the D16 was doing. I think it's worth asking.
2. Wire with 3-pin connector from LPS to D16 (either same way I did it, or remove the IEC connector and run 3 wires through the vacant hole (5v, Ground, Earth/Chassis Ground). Only real issue here is replacing the JST XH connector. Hopefully, they have the tool to do that.

Note: I did order some additional JST XH connectors and pins from China almost 2 months ago, but they haven't arrived yet. If/when they do, I could make the connectors for anyone wanting one or two (would only charge what my cost is - shipping and hardware).

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #3,003 of 3,694

Nice one Golfnufz.

I had a similar upgrade in SQ ripping out the SMPS in my Mac Mini. TBH I am coming to the conclusion a lot of the sonic benefits of various DACs is the integrity of the power supplies. It is down to cost and space I guess, and the fact SMPS's can take worldwide voltage, so less stock for the manufacturer. It is incredible that SMPS are still in audio gear once the price goes north of 1K. It makes me mad really, selling stuff out with amazing 'tech specs' and oversampling jargon for the masses. Long live the fight back!!

Rednet v USB
This got me thinking again about the original thread that started all this by rb2013. Lots of great work done on that thread and it has helped me as well. rb2013 started another thread more recently entitled 'USB fights back'. And his summary after some examination and testing various USB fixers and clocks, was USB can fight back. This is on his own system, and may indeed be different results on others systems depending on the jitter sensitivity of a DAC used among many other things, and the quality of the USB feed from said PC or server.

But I am now wondering, as far as I am aware, he didn't fit a LPS to his Rednet before he sold it and moved onto more complex USB fixer chains and various LPS solutions on those, so, maybe that is the secret ingredient for the Rednet here? Basically leverage AOIP and it's benefits. Anyway, a theory, can't wait to fit my own LPS in the Rednet 3.

My guess is that it's not even a close comparison with Rednet using LPS....

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3,004 of 3,694
Golfnutz did an external LPS and nice connection method, JJ and some others have fitted in internal LPS. I would say have a go, it doesn't  seem too complex (I am to do mine this week). Though I may regret saying that (hope not).

Thanks a lot for the information, Astrostar,

Given that I have both JS-2' and Sbooster LPS', I'm wondering if it's possible for me to employ one (or either) of them as an external power supply.

Joel

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #3,005 of 3,694
  Let me first say this - my estimate of 2-3 times better than the D16 itself is really underestimated. I can't put a number on it, but it's high...

Probably the easiest thing to do is copy the photos I've posted and show them to the person at an electronic repair shop.

If doing the same change as me, you would need the following:

1. Meiyan S130 LPS. Could even ask them to make the same change I did. (change 2-pin to 3-pin, with additional earth ground, and -5v connected to earth ground as well). I could provide a better pic if they need to see it. I did ask them, but they didn't understand what I was asking for. Maybe a picture would help and they wouldn't mind doing it. The guy who did mine basically said these changes are replicating what the SMPS in the D16 was doing. I think it's worth asking.
2. Wire with 3-pin connector from LPS to D16 (either same way I did it, or remove the IEC connector and run 3 wires through the vacant hole (5v, Ground, Earth/Chassis Ground). Only real issue here is replacing the JST XH connector. Hopefully, they have the tool to do that.

Note: I did order some additional JST XH connectors and pins from China almost 2 months ago, but they haven't arrived yet. If/when they do, I could make the connectors for anyone wanting one or two (would only charge what my cost is - shipping and hardware).

Hey Golfnutz,

All of this information, and your offer to help further is very nice of you.

Thanks so much.

If I need to come back to you, I certainly.

All the best.

Joel

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #3,006 of 3,694
Performing this internal mod to a RN3 is actually more complex than adding an external LPS to a D16 (or an RN3 for that matter).
It's not just a matter of being handy with a soldering iron because there is the drilling of holes and mounting of the transformer and regulator board, let alone the re-wiring of the IEC and front panel on-off switch, etc.

And since with an external LPS mod, all of the LPS component mounting etc is already done so its then just a matter of supplying this voltage to the RedNet box and then to the mainboard.

Most competent electronic techs should have little difficulty in performing any of this surgery.
But there is a degree of risk with this type of modification especially if doing anything like this is a new experience for you, let alone the fact that the warranty has been completely tossed aside.

But the results speak for themselves and for me are far beyond being just 'Better' in terms of the RN3 alone.
Mostly because these SMPS's really are noisy and this noise can and does spread to all the rest of the interconnected gear.
So eliminating as many of these sources of noise seems to have a cumulative effect and results if SQ improvements that can be quite astounding overall.

And I do realize that many have just rolled their eye's, yet again at such 'outlandish' claims.
And to address this I will say, experience a properly setup system for yourself and then decide.
Because that is the only way to really understand what having your music come into focus really means.
Those who have heard this understand.

And again yeah, it ain't cheap, at least not yet, but there are hint's on the horizon of new boxes of wonder for considerably less $$$$.

Among which is the uDo (Atterotech unDaes-O) Dante capable box, which is all set up with a barrel connector to accept the 24Vdc it needs, so there is NO need to fuss with it's internals and no voiding your warranty etc.
It does have one 'limitation' in that it is sample rate limited to 96KHz.
This isn't a problem for the Schiit MB dacs as they perform 'best' with the lower original native sample rates of CD's etc., but for some this is a deal killer.

All in all, uncorking this digital audio stream by simply reducing the amount noise being generated, some of which propagates onto ground, and thus to all other grounded devices, yields significant improvements in SQ.

Most notably what I've noticed is an improvement in LEDI (Leading Edged Dynamic Impact), where all 'voices' (technical and organic) are presented with more gratifying and focused acoustic power, more visceral impact, and not just in the bass but everywhere.

Just a few thoughts to consider.

JJ

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #3,007 of 3,694
How one feeds Yggy continues to matter. Replaced the unDAES-O wall wart with an Acopian Gold Box linear PS. Already thrilled with the uDO/Yggy combo, I didn't expect significant sonic improvements, just peace of mind with a quality PS. What I got was an ever more graceful ease (with no loss of detail) --- garden gloves replaced by custom fitted velvet ones.

Thanks to atomicbob for nicely cabling it up, great conversation as always, and the listen to the outstanding Saga.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #3,008 of 3,694
How one feeds Yggy continues to matter. Replaced the unDAES-O wall wart with an Acopian Gold Box linear PS. Already thrilled with the uDO/Yggy combo, I didn't expect significant sonic improvements, just peace of mind with a quality PS. What I got was an ever more graceful ease (with no loss of detail) --- garden gloves replaced by custom fitted velvet ones.

Thanks to atomicbob for nicely cabling it up, great conversation as always, and the listen to the outstanding Saga.

Excellent!
I was waiting for a report from you after removing the SMPS from your setup.

How many hrs on this setup thus far?

JJ

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,009 of 3,694
Excellent!
I was waiting for a report from you after removing the SMPS from your setup.

How many hrs on the this setup thus far?

JJ

48ish hours. It runs 24/7 along wth Yggy.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #3,011 of 3,694
Mar 27, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #3,012 of 3,694
48ish hours. It runs 24/7 along wth Yggy.

I would suspect that in the ±125hr time window, the SQ might take a step up, at least that is what I've noticed.

JJ

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,013 of 3,694
To those using an Antelope LiveClock with their RNs, what do you call the power supply cable used for the LiveClock, which is a screw on? I'm looking for an umbilical cord cable from an external lps to the LiveClock.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,015 of 3,694
I bought it from the OP ...confirmed with buyer he had connected RN3 with Mutec and cable worked fine...need to see what setting am i missing...

V

Nothing on the Mutec I would say. It shows it is receiving and sending an audio signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back