AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Mar 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #3,016 of 3,694
To those using an Antelope LiveClock with their RNs, what do you call the power supply cable used for the LiveClock, which is a screw on? I'm looking for an umbilical cord cable from an external lps to the LiveClock.

You can use a standard DC connector like the kind that usually comes with an LPS. My HDPlex had one that fit perfectly. It is a two terminal barrel type connector. I cannot remember if it is 2.1 or 2.5 mm.

It does not need to be the same "safety" screw-on type. The regular type just slips inside as it normally would.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #3,017 of 3,694
The Live Clock takes the 5.5mm x 2.1mm dc barrel plug connector.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #3,018 of 3,694
Hi guys.

I have a question regarding both Rednet devices and the Cybershaft clocks.

First of all, seeing as how I already have a Mutec-3+USB, I was considering getting an additional clock.
From what I've read on this thread, Cybershaft products should be a good and cheap choice.

Also, I've seen a lot of discussion on Rednet devices as well.
Could anyone explain what exactly does a Rednet device do, and which would Cybershaft clock would be the best choice to go with?

I'm also guessing, from what I read, that adding the Antelope Live clock would not add much to the performance?
Since, I'm planning on getting the Grimm CC1 anyway, that would just be a waste of money, correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3,019 of 3,694
  Hi guys.

I have a question regarding both Rednet devices and the Cybershaft clocks.

First of all, seeing as how I already have a Mutec-3+USB, I was considering getting an additional clock.
From what I've read on this thread, Cybershaft products should be a good and cheap choice.

Also, I've seen a lot of discussion on Rednet devices as well.
Could anyone explain what exactly does a Rednet device do, and which would Cybershaft clock would be the best choice to go with?

I'm also guessing, from what I read, that adding the Antelope Live clock would not add much to the performance?
Since, I'm planning on getting the Grimm CC1 anyway, that would just be a waste of money, correct me if I'm wrong.

I am using an Antelope LiveClock to clock my D16. I am not currently externally clocking my Mutec and do not have a 10M reference clock

I have an anecdote. I decided to use my HDPlex LPS to power my LiveClock which came with an external SMPS brick. In the process of rebooting my system I realized that I did not have Rednet Control set to use the external clock! I am not sure how long it had been that way but my guess is that it had been turned off for a while as I know that I had it enabled when I first got the LiveClock. Once enabled the difference was not subtle. Much blacker background and better focus. There was also a better sense of movement in the music.

I now plan to use another of the LiveClocks outputs for my Mutec USB. After that I plan to replace the SMPS of both the D16 and the Mutec with an LPS.

Not sure how much a reference clock will gain. Others have said they heard a difference but it did not seem to be large.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #3,020 of 3,694

I am using an Antelope LiveClock to clock my D16. I am not currently externally clocking my Mutec and do not have a 10M reference clock

I have an anecdote. I decided to use my HDPlex LPS to power my LiveClock which came with an external SMPS brick. In the process of rebooting my system I realized that I did not have Rednet Control set to use the external clock! I am not sure how long it had been that way but my guess is that it had been turned off for a while as I know that I had it enabled when I first got the LiveClock. Once enabled the difference was not subtle. Much blacker background and better focus. There was also a better sense of movement in the music.

I now plan to use another of the LiveClocks outputs for my Mutec USB. After that I plan to replace the SMPS of both the D16 and the Mutec with an LPS.

Not sure how much a reference clock will gain. Others have said they heard a difference but it did not seem to be large.

OK, so does this change which has a bigger impact, LiveClock or Mutec 3+ USB (on their own)?

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,021 of 3,694

Hi mourip, thank's for the explanation.

What you said right here is what makes me think.
The quote from this review is why I decided on the Grimm CC1.

Grimm Audio CC1 Master Clock – Quick summary: Allen bought one immediately!  This clock is incredible. The detail and imaging from it are superior to anything we heard, and the overall “relaxed” sound of the playback was as close to analog tape (read: jitter-free) as anything we’d tried. The Grimm CC1 didn’t make the music sound as aggressive and forward as the Antelope clocks, and that was a huge plus, because what you get instead is unparalleled depth and detail, as well as a feeling of “calm” that none of the other clocks provided.  Of course, the CC1 is simply a clock with no conversion available (like the Cranesong HEDD), but it seems there is something to be said for a dedicated clock, as whatever Grimm has done inside the CC1 is topping an elite class of options as a price less than half of some of the other offerings.  Hands down, the CC1 was our preference.

I'm always willing to reconsider, the price difference between Grimm CC1 and LiveClock is not small, even though the dealer here who I know can get me a good Price for the Grimm, its still going to be 4 times more than the LiveClock.

Also, what exactly does a Rednet D16 do, and what's the sound quality impact with having one? 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #3,022 of 3,694
Just ordered my D16, they seem to be getting harder to come buy at a reasonable price (discontinued according to some outlets). The Grimm Audio CC1 clock looks very interesting. How is this connected to the D16, just straight in via BNC?

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #3,023 of 3,694

OK, so does this change which has a bigger impact, LiveClock or Mutec 3+ USB (on their own)?

So curiosity got the best of me and I added the BNC cable from my LC to my Mutec. I then switched it over to external timing source.

I did not even break even. The sound was flat and un-involving. Once I went back to the internal Mutec wordclock the magic was back. Many months ago on the Mutec thread on CA the Mutec rep who is always very helpful suggested that the internal clock on the Mutec was already very good. I believe that he is right.

So my D16 benefited a lot from external clocking and the Mutec not at all. I guess that there could be other factors at play like the cable I am using but the sound is so good as is that I am not going to pursue it. I still hold out hope for switching over to LPS for both the D16 and the Mutec however.

Which made the biggest difference? Both increased the refinement, resolution, and focus..

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #3,024 of 3,694

Also, what exactly does a Rednet D16 do, and what's the sound quality impact with having one? 
normal_smile%20.gif

Used with Dante Virtual Soundcard it is an ethernet to SPDIF converter. I use the AES output as recommended by my DAC maker, Schitt.

Lots of testimonials in this thread. I had a pretty good USB chain using the Mutec USB and a Regen with LPS etc.. the Rednet has a much more analog and refined sound. Much more involving and convincing.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #3,025 of 3,694

So curiosity got the best of me and I added the BNC cable from my LC to my Mutec. I then switched it over to external timing source.

I did not even break even. The sound was flat and un-involving. Once I went back to the internal Mutec wordclock the magic was back. Many months ago on the Mutec thread on CA the Mutec rep who is always very helpful suggested that the internal clock on the Mutec was already very good. I believe that he is right.

So my D16 benefited a lot from external clocking and the Mutec not at all. I guess that there could be other factors at play like the cable I am using but the sound is so good as is that I am not going to pursue it. I still hold out hope for switching over to LPS for both the D16 and the Mutec however.

Which made the biggest difference? Both increased the refinement, resolution, and focus..

OK, but if you could only pick one, LiveClock with your external LPS (no Mutec in the chain), or Mutec (no LiveClock in the chain), which one?

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #3,026 of 3,694
  Just ordered my D16, they seem to be getting harder to come buy at a reasonable price (discontinued according to some outlets). The Grimm Audio CC1 clock looks very interesting. How is this connected to the D16, just straight in via BNC?

Nice one! I would get the Rednet rocking first, fit the LPS internal mod, then see. The LPS is cheap as chips, a clock not so cheap. TBH the LPS is a nice upgrade, especially transparency and smoother treble (yes even smoother). It isn't 'digital' now Ha Ha, at last 25 years of digital later.....

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #3,027 of 3,694

Nice one! I would get the Rednet rocking first, fit the LPS internal mod, then see. The LPS is cheap as chips, a clock not so cheap. TBH the LPS is a nice upgrade, especially transparency and smoother treble (yes even smoother). It isn't 'digital' now Ha Ha, at last 25 years of digital later.....

Don't think I would recommend internal mod with D16, it should be done externally. There just isn't the room in the D16 to do what you Rednet 3 owner's did. External mod would apply to Rednet 3 as well (if anyone doesn't feel they have the expertise for the internal mod).

Based on your impressions of the mod you did (and the other 2 on JJ's thread), sound wise, I don't think there's a difference between internal or external mods.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,028 of 3,694

Don't think I would recommend internal mod with D16, it should be done externally. There just isn't the room in the D16 to do what you Rednet 3 owner's did. External mod would apply to Rednet 3 as well (if anyone doesn't feel they have the expertise for the internal mod).

Based on your impressions of the mod you did (and the other 2 on JJ's thread), sound wise, I don't think there's a difference between internal or external mods.

IMO there should be no difference between internal and external lps mod in SQ.
The difference is in aesthetics as in the RN3 will remain looking stock with the internal lps mod including the power switch fully functional.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #3,029 of 3,694

Used with Dante Virtual Soundcard it is an ethernet to SPDIF converter. I use the AES output as recommended by my DAC maker, Schitt.

Lots of testimonials in this thread. I had a pretty good USB chain using the Mutec USB and a Regen with LPS etc.. the Rednet has a much more analog and refined sound. Much more involving and convincing.

Hmm... does that mean that I can't use this with a MacBook or an iMac directly into its Ethernet port?

Does it require a special sound card to work, or is it this app that you're what you're talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back