AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Mar 24, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #2,986 of 3,694
Ah yes.
I see that now, good catch!

I have the non-usb version which threw me off a bit.

And what I should have stated was, is the dac set to this sample rate of 96KBs as well.

JJ

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #2,987 of 3,694
Am I missing something ?

Still nothing comes out as audio

If you are doing re-clocking, both the top blue lights on the STATUS column of the Mutec should light up. I only see the MAIN REF LOCK being lit while the RE-CLK REF LOCK is not.
Did you test the DB25 to AES cable that you got by plugging it in directly to your DAC to see if you get music playing?

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,988 of 3,694

If you are doing re-clocking, both the top blue lights on the STATUS column of the Mutec should ligth up. I only see the MAIN REF LOCK being lit while the RE-CLK REF LOCK is not.
Did you test the DB25 to AES cable that you got by plugging it in directly to your DAC to see if you get music playing?

Cable is fine...music plays when connected directly to dac...i am passing 96k to mutec/dac ...which lights need to be on in that case?

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,990 of 3,694
  Has anybody been able to compare Arrakis Simple IP-D to Rednet3/16? Looks to be simpler, fewer channels, but no 88/176kHz sampling rate. I wonder how it compares in sound to RN3/RN16?

Well I would say right away it appears to have no AES/SPDIF output, unless I missed it. Only RJ45s.

So how is it different to any Router. OK may be audio optimised, but we need a digital output for consumer audio. In a DAW environment that is not always required. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,993 of 3,694

If you are doing re-clocking, both the top blue lights on the STATUS column of the Mutec should ligth up. I only see the MAIN REF LOCK being lit while the RE-CLK REF LOCK is not.

The second blue light comes on when using an external clock and there is a lock on that signal, not when using the internal clock.

Just wondering if the D25 to AES cable has the proper wiring scheme?
Rednet3 uses the Tascam pin-out and not the Yamaha pin-out.
Maybe the cable used is wired for Yamaha pin-out?
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/aesebu-db25-pinout-guide/

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,994 of 3,694
  The second blue light comes on when using an external clock and there is a lock on that signal, not when using the internal clock.

Just wondering if the D25 to AES cable has the proper wiring scheme?
Rednet3 uses the Tascam pin-out and not the Yamaha pin-out.
Maybe the cable used is wired for Yamaha pin-out?
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/aesebu-db25-pinout-guide/

Thanks for pointing that out as I do am using the Live Clock as an external to feed the Mutec's.
So according to the picture he posted, all the lights are correctly lit up.
The cable would be suspect then.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,995 of 3,694
  Cable is fine...music plays when connected directly to dac...i am passing 96k to mutec/dac ...which lights need to be on in that case?

How about the AES to AES cable you are using from the Mutec to the DAC? Did you tested that one too?

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,997 of 3,694
Quick update on the D16 with external LPS.

My impression is this change is probably 2-3 times greater than the D16 itself. It really is remarkable what a difference taking out the SMPS is making.

If I had to describe in a single word what the differences are, it would be 'focus'.

Everything just seems so much more focused than before, like an entire blanket of veil has been removed.

Better imaging (pin point), separation of voices (including multiple voices) and instruments (incredible), bass is more pronounced (not bloated at all).

The only way I can perceive the sound improving is with better speakers, amp, and DAC.

For the cost of this change ($200 - $250 USD), this really is a no brainer. Easily one of the best improvements in my system, by far.

What do I like about the D16, no USB and no SMPS!

For the guys who have replaced the SMPS from the Rednet and also have the Mutec, what does the Mutec add at this point? Please describe the improvements? Have you listened to your system without the Mutec? Thanks.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #2,998 of 3,694
  Quick update on the D16 with external LPS.

My impression is this change is probably 2-3 times greater than the D16 itself. It really is remarkable what a difference taking out the SMPS is making.

If I had to describe in a single word what the differences are, it would be 'focus'.

Everything just seems so much more focused than before, like an entire blanket of veil has been removed.

Better imaging (pin point), separation of voices (including multiple voices) and instruments (incredible), bass is more pronounced (not bloated at all).

The only way I can perceive the sound improving is with better speakers, amp, and DAC.

For the cost of this change ($200 - $250 USD), this really is a no brainer. Easily one of the best improvements in my system, by far.

What do I like about the D16, no USB and no SMPS!

For the guys who have replaced the SMPS from the Rednet and also have the Mutec, what does the Mutec add at this point? Please describe the improvements? Have you listened to your system without the Mutec? Thanks.

Nice one Golfnufz.

I had a similar upgrade in SQ ripping out the SMPS in my Mac Mini. TBH I am coming to the conclusion a lot of the sonic benefits of various DACs is the integrity of the power supplies. It is down to cost and space I guess, and the fact SMPS's can take worldwide voltage, so less stock for the manufacturer. It is incredible that SMPS are still in audio gear once the price goes north of 1K. It makes me mad really, selling stuff out with amazing 'tech specs' and oversampling jargon for the masses. Long live the fight back!!

Rednet v USB
This got me thinking again about the original thread that started all this by rb2013. Lots of great work done on that thread and it has helped me as well. rb2013 started another thread more recently entitled 'USB fights back'. And his summary after some examination and testing various USB fixers and clocks, was USB can fight back. This is on his own system, and may indeed be different results on others systems depending on the jitter sensitivity of a DAC used among many other things, and the quality of the USB feed from said PC or server.

But I am now wondering, as far as I am aware, he didn't fit a LPS to his Rednet before he sold it and moved onto more complex USB fixer chains and various LPS solutions on those, so, maybe that is the secret ingredient for the Rednet here? Basically leverage AOIP and it's benefits. Anyway, a theory, can't wait to fit my own LPS in the Rednet 3.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,999 of 3,694
For those of us who wouldn't know how to use a soldering iron on a dare, what's the recommendation for finding someone to make this conversion?

How best to describe the work to be done?

Looks like a great upgrade.

Thanks for posting the information.

Joel

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #3,000 of 3,694
For those of us who wouldn't know how to use a soldering iron on a dare, what's the recommendation for finding someone to make this conversion?

How best to describe the work to be done?

Looks like a great upgrade.

Thanks for posting the information.

Joel

Golfnutz did an external LPS and nice connection method, JJ and some others have fitted in internal LPS. I would say have a go, it doesn't  seem too complex (I am to do mine this week). Though I may regret saying that (hope not).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back