AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Aug 30, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,681 of 3,694
JJ - Mac requires a command line terminal argument to enable the SR follow feature, however DVS isn't supported at this time. Only works for the the PCIe card for now.

So it isn't a matter of needing a Brooklyn II card vs the Brooklyn I?
So my RN3 can still do sample rate following?

And a command line terminal is doable.

What is the code string?

JJ

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,682 of 3,694
Not sure about RN3. I was told that SR follow works for Mac only when using PCIe card to interface with D16. Mac DVS doesn't support the SR Follow at present. I will see if the string is still in my terminal history. BRB.

Edit: sorry JJ, I closed out the terminal window and didn't think to save the string. Focusrite walked me through it over the phone. He apologized for not mentioning that it wouldn't work with DVS at this time prior to having me set the argument. Also, it isn't persistent. Subsequent restart of RN Control requires having to redo the argument.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #1,683 of 3,694
Thanks for the effort.  :thumb

My guess is the SR following may need the Brooklyn II card and not work on the Brooklyn I (which the RN3 has) as well.

Well I guess I'm gunna hafta stay with the SR changes within Media Center for now.

Just another example of the early adapter blues… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,685 of 3,694
  The Diamond Ethernet. I was skeptical if it would really makes any noticeable differences and it sure did. 

Thanks - that is interesting.  I tried a few nice CAT6 cables against the stock one - could not hear a difference.  Which was not the case on my Startech GB LAN Ethernet USB extender.

Expensive cable that Diamond Ethernet - $695

What are you using for SPDIF or AES cable to your DAC?  There I have heard huge differences here.  My top two are the Audience au24 se digital and the Synergistic Research Element Copper Active shielding.  The edge goes to the SR with a Galileo MPC.  But with a move to a Modded BURL B2 Bomber DANTE DAC I no longer need it and will list it in the classifieds tomorrow. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #1,686 of 3,694
  Thanks for the effort.  :thumb

My guess is the SR following may need the Brooklyn II card and not work on the Brooklyn I (which the RN3 has) as well.

Well I guess I'm gunna hafta stay with the SR changes within Media Center for now.

Just another example of the early adapter blues… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

FYI... SR Follow does work with the RN3 (sort of).

I upgraded to RedNet Control v1.10 today, but ran into an issue with SR Follow feature. Automatic Sample Rate switching worked with JRiver until I selected a 192 file at which point automatic switching ceased. As a workaround, manually switching to 192 with RedNet Control or Dante Control would allow automatic switching to resume. I only tested switching between 44.1, 88.2, 96 and 192 files.

Louie, with US Focusrite Support, worked with me on this issue and was extremely helpful. A case has been opened to inform UK Support of this issue.

On a related note, after the v1.10 upgrade, if you repeatedly receive the following error when starting RedNet Control,

you will need to manually update the RN3 firmware to v3.7.2.

Contact Focusrite Support for the appropriate RedNet *.dnt firmware update file for your device.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,688 of 3,694

Thanks - that is interesting.  I tried a few nice CAT6 cables against the stock one - could not hear a difference.  Which was not the case on my Startech GB LAN Ethernet USB extender.

Expensive cable that Diamond Ethernet - $695

What are you using for SPDIF or AES cable to your DAC?  There I have heard huge differences here.  My top two are the Audience au24 se digital and the Synergistic Research Element Copper Active shielding.  The edge goes to the SR with a Galileo MPC.  But with a move to a Modded BURL B2 Bomber DANTE DAC I no longer need it and will list it in the classifieds tomorrow.

I have the WW Platinum Starlight AES and their Platinum Eclipse 1 XLR for the rest of the system.
About the Diamond AES, when I first plugged it in, it sound exactly as if I just switched out one of my IC to a not yet broken in silver IC, a little harsh on the high but you could definitely tells there's more information. 
As times passed, it tamed the harshness is disappearing just like an analog cables being broken in.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,689 of 3,694
Thanks!

I too have installed 1.10 and already have S/W v.3.7.2.1 and F/W v.3.3.8.13 installed as well.

But according to Focusrite tech support the RN3 doesn't have SR follow option, which suggests the Brooklyn I card may be the limiting factor.

JJ

FYI... SR Follow does work with the RN3 (sort of).

I upgraded to RedNet Control v1.10 today, but ran into an issue with SR Follow feature. Automatic Sample Rate switching worked with JRiver until I selected a 192 file at which point automatic switching ceased. As a workaround, manually switching to 192 with RedNet Control or Dante Control would allow automatic switching to resume. I only tested switching between 44.1, 88.2, 96 and 192 files.

Louie, with US Focusrite Support, worked with me on this issue and was extremely helpful. A case has been opened to inform UK Support of this issue.

On a related note, after the v1.10 upgrade, if you repeatedly receive the following error when starting RedNet Control,

you will need to manually update the RN3 firmware to v3.7.2.

Contact Focusrite Support for the appropriate RedNet *.dnt firmware update file for your device.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #1,690 of 3,694
  Thanks!

I too have installed 1.10 and already have S/W v.3.7.2.1 and F/W v.3.3.8.13 installed as well.

But according to Focusrite tech support the RN3 doesn't have SR follow option, which suggests the Brooklyn I card may be the limiting factor.

JJ

Strange. I'm using a RN3 with the SR follow option. After installing the latest 1.10, the firmware update was automatic for me and very smooth. Granted I have next to no 192 files so I haven't tried that yet, but 44.1 to 96 (and vice versa) works great for me.

I am using Windows.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,691 of 3,694
  Strange. I'm using a RN3 with the SR follow option. After installing the latest 1.10, the firmware update was automatic for me and very smooth. Granted I have next to no 192 files so I haven't tried that yet, but 44.1 to 96 (and vice versa) works great for me.

I am using Windows.

That's good to know, thanks!

So it may not be a Brooklyn card 'problem' but an OS issue.

Ah, as the thought plickens indeed.

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,692 of 3,694
So I just received an email from Focusrite with the script to use in a terminal window to 'activate' SR Follow, and it runs successfully, but now Media Center chokes.

And they say that either of the Brooklyn cards should work with SR Follow.
So it's an OS thing, or perhaps a Jriver - Media Center thing.

Hmmmmmm…

JJ

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,693 of 3,694
Another AO gotcha.

Once you reapply AO you may find that DVS will stop working and prompt you to reapply your license key. Audinate said that DVS verifies authenticity based upon a hardware profile that can get changed by something as simple as a software patch. If you get an error stating that you have run out of license attempts you can just call them and they will add a few more.

BTW. I thought that along with bringing remarkable sound quality that AOIP/Dante made server tweaks mostly unnecessary however I am finding that AO does make a very nice difference and this is just using GUI mode.

Icing on the cake!

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #1,694 of 3,694
Another AO gotcha.

Once you reapply AO you may find that DVS will stop working and prompt you to reapply your license key. Audinate said that DVS verifies authenticity based upon a hardware profile that can get changed by something as simple as a software patch. If you get an error stating that you have run out of license attempts you can just call them and they will add a few more.

BTW. I thought that along with bringing remarkable sound quality that AOIP/Dante made server tweaks mostly unnecessary however I am finding that AO does make a very nice difference and this is just using GUI mode.

Icing on the cake!

What would be your explanation for this improvement from AO?
Do you use any fibre connections between RedNet and PC?
I know for fact that ethernet CAT-connections are not immune to electrical effects.

Not back from my trip yet so no opportunity to test.

Cheers

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #1,695 of 3,694
  I have the WW Platinum Starlight AES and their Platinum Eclipse 1 XLR for the rest of the system.
About the Diamond AES, when I first plugged it in, it sound exactly as if I just switched out one of my IC to a not yet broken in silver IC, a little harsh on the high but you could definitely tells there's more information. 
As times passed, it tamed the harshness is disappearing just like an analog cables being broken in.

Yes I have had the same experience in terms of burnin on digital cables.  Good info thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back