AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Aug 31, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,696 of 3,694
What would be your explanation for this improvement from AO?
Do you use any fibre connections between RedNet and PC?
I know for fact that ethernet CAT-connections are not immune to electrical effects.

Not back from my trip yet so no opportunity to test.

Cheers

I have a fiber connection between my switch and my PC but have CAT6 going from the PC to the D16. I intend to test using fiber between the D16 and the PC but have not gotten there yet.

So the only reason I can guess for AO helping is that I have not yet received the benefit of isolation between the PC and D16.

I will do so and report back. I am hoping that it will make AO moot as AO makes it hard to make changes on the server.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #1,697 of 3,694

I have a fiber connection between my switch and my PC but have CAT6 going from the PC to the D16. I intend to test using fiber between the D16 and the PC but have not gotten there yet.

So the only reason I can guess for AO helping is that I have not yet received the benefit of isolation between the PC and D16.

I will do so and report back. I am hoping that it will make AO moot as AO makes it hard to make changes on the server.

​Well, it's audio so I'm guessing we will never get a consensus. Too many variables. I think my experience is a bit contrarian to the group. I'm also just north of 50 so it also may be that my hearing is not as keen as many others on the forum. For what it is worth, I have tried my AOIP set up with CAPS Pipeline Audio PC decked out with Bakoon Battery (for O/S), AO, Fidelizer and  FMC's to my multi use Control PC that has neither. I could hear no meaningful difference. With USB set up everything seemed to matter in my system. With AOIP the stuff that has mattered (so far) is Mutec and Liveclock/Cybershaft.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,698 of 3,694
Just a random observation.

Over the last month or so I've gotten into some some music production DAW software (FL Studio, Ableton Live) along with Midi Keyboard/Controller and various vst plug-ins (including full orchestra).

While AOIP has been a revelation in listening to recorded music, it is maybe even more of a revelation putzing around trying to produce your own. I'm a beginner but it's pretty amazing the sounds you can dial up these days through software and it really provides a window into the accuracy of your equipment. You are never more critical than when you are trying to produce your own "music".

I mention this because in many ways the DAW environment is RedNet and Mutec and Antelope's "home base". If they don't sound good in the production houses they are out the door as peoples livelihood's are involved. Makes me appreciate these guys even more.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,699 of 3,694

There is one "undocumented feature" however.

If you enable SRC then you need to leave RC open. If you close it the rate stops following. Also when you reopen RC you must choose SRC once again. I have contacted Focusrite Support US and they will run this by Support UK.

I see it as a minor inconvenience, not a deal breaker. It is great to have Rednet follow the native sampling rate of the file being played and it is working well. For now you just need to remember to launch RC and choose SRC if you reboot.

One more undocumented feature that I am speaking to Focusrite about.

I use my audio PC as headless, meaning without a monitor, because it is tucked away in a cabinet. I remotely access it via RDP(Microsoft remote desktop). This allows me to make changes, add music, and change what is playing. I use JRiver Media Center to play music and the OS is Windows Server 2012 R2.

I am finding that if I RDP into the server it causes Rednet Control app to close/exit. Once this happens I can no longer play music and of course SRC does not work. Before this last update Rednet Control worked fine when closed. I chose the one sample rate I wanted to use, closed RC and all was well. Now since in order to use SRC I must leave RC open then each time I RDP to the server it causes RC to exit and I must restart it and JRiver also. Once this is done SRC works fine.

The good news is that RC exits when I log in using RDP but not when I exit the RDP session. So once I get everything working again I can log off and use JRiver’s remote iPhone app to change tracks/albums. The bad news is that if I use RDP again then I must reset everything again.

I am pretty sure that this is not expected behavior...

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #1,700 of 3,694

​Well, it's audio so I'm guessing we will never get a consensus. Too many variables. I think my experience is a bit contrarian to the group. I'm also just north of 50 so it also may be that my hearing is not as keen as many others on the forum. For what it is worth, I have tried my AOIP set up with CAPS Pipeline Audio PC decked out with Bakoon Battery (for O/S), AO, Fidelizer and  FMC's to my multi use Control PC that has neither. I could hear no meaningful difference. With USB set up everything seemed to matter in my system. With AOIP the stuff that has mattered (so far) is Mutec and Liveclock/Cybershaft.

Just curious. What ethernet cable are you using to connect your RN to your server? CAT or fiber?

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,701 of 3,694
   One more undocumented feature that I am speaking to Focusrite about.

I use my audio PC as headless, meaning without a monitor, because it is tucked away in a cabinet. I remotely access it via RDP(Microsoft remote desktop). This allows me to make changes, add music, and change what is playing. I use JRiver Media Center to play music and the OS is Windows Server 2012 R2.

I am finding that if I RDP into the server it causes Rednet Control app to close/exit. Once this happens I can no longer play music and of course SRC does not work. Before this last update Rednet Control worked fine when closed. I chose the one sample rate I wanted to use, closed RC and all was well. Now since in order to use SRC I must leave RC open then each time I RDP to the server it causes RC to exit and I must restart it and JRiver also. Once this is done SRC works fine.

The good news is that RC exits when I log in using RDP but not when I exit the RDP session. So once I get everything working again I can log off and use JRiver’s remote iPhone app to change tracks/albums. The bad news is that if I use RDP again then I must reset everything again.

I am pretty sure that this is not expected behavior...

I'm also having problems when I start RDP from my Surface: the positive thing is that once RDP session is started I can reopen Rednet control and it stays open.

Maybe I missed the point but, my understanding is that SRC works on the input channels and not when JRiver reproduces music. Did you mean "SR Follow" instead?

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,703 of 3,694
Strange. I use rdp without a problem. My "server" is a converted gaming laptop, though.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,704 of 3,694
Check your RDP settings and try disabling audio settings. RDP can forward audio to the computer making the RDP connection. It seems that might break your current audio setup when the RDP session is established.

On Server 2012 R2 it may not be easy to disable the audio forwarding. It's been a long time since I looked into this issue on Server 2008 and Server 2012 so my memory about it is fuzzy, but it's worth a try. I do remember Server 2008 RDP was difficult to get to stop forwarding audio.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,705 of 3,694
Strange. I use rdp without a problem. My "server" is a converted gaming laptop, though.

Check your RDP settings and try disabling audio settings. RDP can forward audio to the computer making the RDP connection. It seems that might break your current audio setup when the RDP session is established.

On Server 2012 R2 it may not be easy to disable the audio forwarding. It's been a long time since I looked into this issue on Server 2008 and Server 2012 so my memory about it is fuzzy, but it's worth a try. I do remember Server 2008 RDP was difficult to get to stop forwarding audio.

Thanks for the replies. It was working fine before the Rednet Control update. I am aware of the audio forwarding issue as I stummbled over it when I first went headless.

It could be either a 2012r2 issue or an AO issue in this case although I have two systems with an RN16 and one has AO enabled while the other does not and I see the same issue on both. Odd!

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,706 of 3,694
Have been away from this thread for a while... is there any word on whether any companies are planning to introduce a smaller 2-channel, 192khz-capable, Dante converter box?

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,707 of 3,694

Thanks for the replies. It was working fine before the Rednet Control update. I am aware of the audio forwarding issue as I stummbled over it when I first went headless.

It could be either a 2012r2 issue or an AO issue in this case although I have two systems with an RN16 and one has AO enabled while the other does not and I see the same issue on both. Odd!

Have not heard of any although RB2013 has been suspiciously quiet regarding his "Franken-Burl" exploration.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,708 of 3,694

I've discovered that Rednet Control stops only if "SR Follow" was already ON before RDP session was initiated. It seems audio forwarding setting makes no difference.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,709 of 3,694

I've discovered that Rednet Control stops only if "SR Follow" was already ON before RDP session was initiated. It seems audio forwarding setting makes no difference.

That is my experience also...

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,710 of 3,694
  Just curious. What ethernet cable are you using to connect your RN to your server? CAT or fiber?

​I can go either way. I have SFP PCIe cards in both my Audio PC and Control PC so I can use fiber or CAT . When I want to go fiber I use single mode and when I use CAT I'm using a blue jeans 5e. I find I switch up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back