AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Aug 17, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,516 of 3,694
While I know the Antelope Audio OCXHD - 768kHz Master Clock is $500 more than the Live Clock, I'm told it has the auto sample rate change feature.

The downside is that it can't be powered by a linear power supply.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCXHD

Thoughts?

Joel

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,518 of 3,694
Got the DVS license working. Had to get a new from my dealer. I have start thinking I got a demo/used one instead of a new in box. The DVS token and the Ethernet cable was missing and the display has some very small marks in it. Is it possible to peal of? Is there some protective film on it?

The sound is getting better and better. The bass is still "big" and somewhat less articulate. Guess this will improve after 100 or so hours.

Tommy

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,519 of 3,694
Got the DVS license working. Had to get a new from my dealer. I have start thinking I got a demo/used one instead of a new in box. The DVS token and the Ethernet cable was missing and the display has some very small marks in it. Is it possible to peal of? Is there some protective film on it?

The sound is getting better and better. The bass is still "big" and somewhat less articulate. Guess this will improve after 100 or so hours.

Tommy

Yes the front has a plastic film on it. Took me a few days to recognize it. Look at the edges to see if plastic is slightly over the chasis.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,520 of 3,694
Yes the front has a plastic film on it. Took me a few days to recognize it. Look at the edges to see if plastic is slightly over the chasis.

Thanks Jabbr. I will try to remove the film.

I connected the Mutec MC3+ to the chain now. Almost sersory overload!! I know its very eary, but it sounds very, very, very good! :)

I used my "better" AES last in the chain, is this how you guys do it? I will of course experiment later on.

The chain now is:

Mac mini 2011 > Rednet ethernet 3 m > 16 R > Straightwire Info Link AES 1,5 m > Mutec MC3+ > Shunyata Anaconda AES 1,5 m > Berkeley Ref dac

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,522 of 3,694
Lead time on the Grimm was about 10 days to me as they were made to order when I was looking to purchase. Couldn't find one in stock so I went with the liveclock from sweetwater. I'd probably try one later out of curiosity.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #1,524 of 3,694
Thanks RKML007,

I'm curious about people's opinion regarding sound quality.

Joel

It 's a clock, it doesn't have sound :wink:
But it is, arguably, about the best clock around.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,525 of 3,694
It 's a clock, it doesn't have sound
wink.gif

But it is, arguably, about the best clock around.

Thanks jabbr,

Have you "listened"
redface.gif
to it or used it yourself?

Joel

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,527 of 3,694

Hey jabbr do you mind sharing clock sync info? This is what LiveClock does for my D16. It would be cool to compare with the Grimm.

Thanks!

Using my Grimm it says -30ppm.
I don't realy know what it signifies though.
Haven't read the manual on this.

Would do you think it means?

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,529 of 3,694
jabbr,

Can you tell me if the Grimm can be set to automatically change sample rates to match the incoming sample rate?

Thanks,

Joel
jabbr,

Can you tell me if the Grimm can be set to automatically change sample rates to match the incoming sample rate?

Thanks,

Joel

I already told you it does, it is called Slave mode.
Read the manual at least once please.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,530 of 3,694
I think it just points out the specific frequency offset applied to sync the Rednet with your Grimm. I think its interesting to see the difference in correction being applied to our particular setups.

So maybe - if Grimm is the superior word clock, my LiveClock is off by ~4ppm hahaha. But that assumes that there aren't any D16 variances to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back