AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jun 8, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #106 of 3,694

So the Rednet can't automatically accept different incoming sample rates, you need to manually set DVS and the box to a certain rate? Or am I misunderstanding?

So far it looks like yes - no issue for me as I upsample 44k, 96k, 178k  to 192k using the excellent free SoX upsampler.  So every thing runs at 192k.  For me it's always sounded best this way.

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #107 of 3,694
Now the REDNET is not the perfect implementation of AES67 AOIP - but it is here and now - not a Unicorn or Vaporware.

It was designed for a different purpose - so the cost is high and the functionality is for the studio environment.  So it's not optimized for our purpose.

But what is does is superb sound - a leap frog over the herculean uber USB chain I had before (and now in my office system).

But it is just the first step for us Audiophiles - it's a gateway into the possibilities of AES67 AOIP.  I'm sure a unit with only 2 channels running a LP'S and maybe other tweeks will surpass it in SQ.  All these things will come with Raveena or Dante in the future.

But I for one an so happy to have it.  It's been running super stable (not one unlock, freeze or crash) in my main system for over a week now.  Even in a 96 degree Seattle heatwave.

Album after Album a revelation.  Even the 30-40 yr old stuff - just sounds stellar.
Last night listening to Jerri Tull - Benefit, Stand Up, Minstrel in the Gallery.
The results amazing.  Of particular note the sound staging - deep and wide with absolute precision imaging.  The musicality and ease just great.  A major leap over USB.

There is more to come on the AOIP train.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #108 of 3,694
  So far it looks like yes - no issue for me as I upsample 44k, 96k, 178k  to 192k using the excellent free SoX upsampler.  So every thing runs at 192k.  For me it's always sounded best this way.

For me it wouldn't be a dealbreaker, though it would have been nicer if it could. Even those who like to upsample sometimes prefer power-of-2 upsampling, which wouldn't be possible, as opposed to fixed-rate upsampling.
Wonder if this is something that's possible to add via a firmware update if there was interest.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #109 of 3,694

For me it wouldn't be a dealbreaker, though it would have been nicer if it could. Even those who like to upsample sometimes prefer power-of-2 upsampling, which wouldn't be possible, as opposed to fixed-rate upsampling.
Wonder if this is something that's possible to add via a firmware update if there was interest.

Funny SoX does that!  Power of 2 and power of 4.

I bet they could update that - as an option.  For direct connections.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #110 of 3,694
Funny SoX does that!  Power of 2 and power of 4.

I bet they could update that - as an option.  For direct connections.

You can set upsampling on each of the channels in the Rednet.

If you set it to 4 times, it will automatically upsample 4x, 2x or none at all. This way it will upsample to the maximum supported sample rate and within each family of rates.

Cheers

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #112 of 3,694
Thanks!

Where in the Controller do you do that?

I just read it is a feature of the D16 and not of the Rednet3.

RedNet D16 AES has a Sample Rate Convertor (SRC) on each input pair allowing instant operation with any AES3 source.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #113 of 3,694
You can set upsampling on each of the channels in the Rednet.

If you set it to 4 times, it will automatically upsample 4x, 2x or none at all. This way it will upsample to the maximum supported sample rate and within each family of rates.

Cheers

Are you sure? Toggling the SRC option does nothing for this particular issue.  Which manual did you read that from?  There are no selectable options for 4x or 2x with SRC, its either on or off for each pair of channels.  Maybe this works if the D16 is being fed from another Rednet device.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #114 of 3,694
Are you sure? Toggling the SRC option does nothing for this particular issue.  Which manual did you read that from?  There are no selectable options for 4x or 2x with SRC, its either on or off for each pair of channels.  Maybe this works if the D16 is being fed from another Rednet device.

Hmmm, was writing this from the top of my mind.
Have been viewibg a lot of Audinate videos of Focusrite and Audinate manuals recently. Maybe I have mixed up some info about how to set the SRC.
It could indeed be a toggle as you say, upsampling to the sample rate set for the device.
Would have to check when I get home.

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #115 of 3,694
I just read it is a feature of the D16 and not of the Rednet3.

Well the RD3 has it to  - for AES input.  But not for output.

So here is the screen shot of the REDNET Controller:

As you can see there is no Master option for the PC (DVS) - marked 'Slave Only'  under preferred

Now I bet with one of these Dante cards you would be able to set the PC as Master - $600 :
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/258880-Klark-Teknik-KT-DANTE64?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&st-t=googleshopping-high_end_audio&vt-k=&vt-mt=&vt-pti=258880&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhN-6BRCJsePgxru9iIwBEiQAI8rq8-uFxPXRtTpQuzcObgDP1lqJ0704D5QAbF315GG1c30aAu1d8P8HAQ

REDNET/Dante PCIe cards - they are more expensive:
https://www.audinate.com/products/manufacturer-products/dante-pcie-card

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #116 of 3,694
Well the RD3 has it to  - for AES input.  But not for output.

So here is the screen shot of the REDNET Controller:

As you can see there is no Master option for the PC (DVS) - marked 'Slave Only'  under preferred

Now I bet with one of these Dante cards you would be able to set the PC as Master - $600 :
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/258880-Klark-Teknik-KT-DANTE64?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&st-t=googleshopping-high_end_audio&vt-k=&vt-mt=&vt-pti=258880&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhN-6BRCJsePgxru9iIwBEiQAI8rq8-uFxPXRtTpQuzcObgDP1lqJ0704D5QAbF315GG1c30aAu1d8P8HAQ

REDNET/Dante PCIe cards - they are more expensive:
https://www.audinate.com/products/manufacturer-products/dante-pcie-card

This is sbout the clock master for the Dante network, not the sample rate.
Different thing.

SRC in context of this Pro use is only relevant for incoming signals, as they all have to be equal when being processed. Output is just for monitoring or recording the result and that is of course equal to the project setting

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #117 of 3,694
This is sbout the clock master for the Dante network, not the sample rate.
Different thing.

SRC in context of this Pro use is only relevant for incoming signals, as they all have to be equal when being processed. Output is just for monitoring or recording the result and that is of course equal to the project setting

No but the REDNET Controller has a 'SR Follow' feature - but only for the DAW Master.

With a REDNET/Dante PCIe/R card the PC could then be set as the Master and the DAW.

See page 17 chart on the left of the REDNET System User Guide.

https://us.focusrite.com/ethernet-audio-interfaces/rednet-3/downloads

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #118 of 3,694
Hi guys,

I've seen that in the specs of many of the Rednet devices (like the D16 AES) but not all (like the Rednet 3) there's a line with the supported sample rates like:

Supported sample rates: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192 kHz (-4% / -0.1% / +0.1% / +4.167%) at 24 bit

I'm curious as to what do the percentages between the brackets mean but couldn't find the answer anywhere. Does anyone know?

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #119 of 3,694
Funny after years of effort and finally achieving a level of SQ from USB digital - that equaled and even surpassed my old $30k analog rig...it gets leap frogged by this 'new' AOIP path...stunning levels of SQ.
:beerchug:
King USB is dead, long live King AOIP!

Sounds like someone has finally seen the light. Considering how much flak & bull I got when I pronounced Usb dead and stinking half a year ago, guess I should be happy :)

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #120 of 3,694
Subbing in. Got my Rednet 3 yesterday and am floored at the SQ difference between it and USB implementation. Cellos and violins have so much more details while the bow is sliding, attack and decay is on point and there's a natural warmth overall (without dulling the details) along with open-ess between instruments that did not exist before. These are through active Fostex bookshelves and a mid-fi dac, not my main critical listening setup. Can't wait to take the beast to my home setup and see how it sings.

Audio over ethernet is the way in comparison to USB implementations even with serious clocks/chips, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back