AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jun 9, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #121 of 3,694
Sounds like someone has finally seen the light. Considering how much flak & bull I got when I pronounced Usb dead and stinking half a year ago, guess I should be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

I would throw you some flowers...if you had mentioned AES67 and the REDNET gear.  You get one daisy for the NADAC.

The bouquet goes to Mike.

PS Last I heard you were using a PUC 2 USB and proud of it

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #122 of 3,694
  Subbing in. Got my Rednet 3 yesterday and am floored at the SQ difference between it and USB implementation. Cellos and violins have so much more details while the bow is sliding, attack and decay is on point and there's a natural warmth overall (without dulling the details) along with open-ess between instruments that did not exist before. These are through active Fostex bookshelves and a mid-fi dac, not my main critical listening setup. Can't wait to take the beast to my home setup and see how it sings.

Audio over ethernet is the way in comparison to USB implementations even with serious clocks/chips, no doubt.

+1 I'm completely with you.  Just a Sea Change in SQ.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #123 of 3,694
  Hi guys,

I've seen that in the specs of many of the Rednet devices (like the D16 AES) but not all (like the Rednet 3) there's a line with the supported sample rates like:

Supported sample rates: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192 kHz (-4% / -0.1% / +0.1% / +4.167%) at 24 bit

I'm curious as to what do the percentages between the brackets mean but couldn't find the answer anywhere. Does anyone know?

It's called Pull-Up or Pull-Down - it's used to align the clock with others on a DAW LAN.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #126 of 3,694
Anyone wanna sell me a Rednet 3?

Better grab one now before they become backordered!

USB AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON AOIP!!!

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #127 of 3,694
On the difference between the Mutec 3+ and 3+ USB for use as a SPDIF reclocker on the REDNET:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mutec-mc-3-a-17300/index6.html

02-08-2016, 12:34 PM #146
SwissBear
Sophomore Member

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
Sorry to throw in another question but I didnt' want to start another thread. Is the MC-3+ the same as the MC3+ USB excpept for the USB input? In other words are the SPDIF inputs, processing, output, etc on both models the same or is the MC3+ USB an improvement on all inputs?
If you refer to this review made by a German medium (MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - Up-To-Date), "As the measurement diagrams below show, these efforts have certainly paid of: the MUTEC MC-3+USB not only significantly improves the jitter performance of D/A converters with the re-clocking mode, it also does so even more thoroughly (figure 3) than its already excellent sibling (figure 2).", the MC-3+ USB does much better than the MC-3+.

http://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1447347848

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #129 of 3,694
julian.david
user-offline.png

Freshman Member  Join Date
Mar 2015

Hi accwai,

Happy to help!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by accwai
<The poster in the German forum said one MC-3+USB is as good as cascading 3 MC-3+, but putting an MC-3+ behind MC-3+USB does improve things further. The twist here is a Morion MV98a OCXO is attached to the MC-3+ at the back. And the poster also stated that things actually deteriorate when the MV98a is hooked to the MC-3+USB. The theory being the internal clock for the MC-3+USB is better than the Russian oscillator. That leads one to wonder about a couple of things...

What happens when 2 MC-3+USB are cascaded? The poster talked about doing such test but no results were posted
.>

Fujak (the poster in the aktives-hoeren forum) has actually done some tests with cascading multiple MC-3+USBs. Bascially his observations were such that if one MC-3+USB gets you a sonic improvement of say 100%, then a second one yields another 50% and a third one about 20-25%. Now as usual, that's a subjective observation that may depend on your individual setup, but generally we've seen a lot of people agree with Fujak. I'm not sure if these results were published by him in any forum, but I'll double-check.

quote_icon.png
<If USB input is not needed, what happens when the MC-3+ (no external clock) is chained in front of the MC-3+USB? Presumably putting the better clock closer to the output would be better?>

Correct, the MC-3+USB with it's superior performance should be placed last in the chain prior to the DAC. So if you already have an MC-3+, using it in a chain with the MC-3+USB will actually improve the performance!

quote_icon.png
<Now question for Julian: MC-3+ is currently still available. Is it the same MC-3+ as a couple years back? Or is it an improved version using the newer technology as MC-3+USB? If not, is there any plan to upgrade the MC-3+ in the near future? And would there be any upgrade plan for existing MC-3+ owners if an improved version comes out?>

Both products will continue to be offered in the future and there are no plans to upgrade the MC-3+ at the moment. The entire design and board layout have been changed in the MC-3+USB so an "upgrade" would essentially mean retrofitting the MC-3+ with new boards and all, which just isn't feasible, I'm afraid.

quote_icon.png
<Oh and what happened to the Ref 10? A prototype was shown at the end of 2014 but never heard from again. Is there any plan to bring it to market still?>

Let's just say this: the High End show in Munich is coming up in May and MUTEC will have a booth for the first time ever :-D

Best regards,
Julian

Last edited by julian.david; 02-10-2016 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Synthax error
MUTEC GmbH
Marketing Associate
Email j.david@mutec-net.com
Web www.mutec-net.com

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #130 of 3,694
My REDNet D16 came today and I tore into it. Sweetwater is great to work with, from ordering to answering questions.

I have been an network engineer for about 20 years but found setting this up quite tricky. To be fair I was running Windows 2012r2 server with Audiophile Optimizer in Core mode so that might have contributed to my issues. I went back to GUI mode, uninstalled AO, and was able to install the utilities and the virtual soundcard that uses ASIO. After too much time and a call to Sweetwater and to Focusrite I was able to get sound. BTW. trying to reeable OA killed the output. I either need to experiement with it or it might not even be necessary now.

I started with the network cable running from my PC to a small unmanaged Cisco switch and connected the D16 to the switch also. With help from Focusrite I got music using JRMC with the bitrate set to 96K. It does indeed sound good but I am having issue with getting higher res files to play. My DAC can take up to 24/192 so I would certainly expect to be able to play anything up to that. I changed the cabling so that now I have the D16 connected directly to my PC and a cable running from the second D16 port to my switch so that I can remote the headless PC and get to the Internet and my NAS as necessary.

I will put more time into it tomorrow and also comment more on sound quality. So far it sounds clearer and more tonally accurate, basically more refined, than my Mutec USB.

If anyone has tips for the settings I am all ears!

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #133 of 3,694
Did we start something or what?

Oh you know it brother!

Converts are starting to pile up!

Maybe we should get a cut from Focusrite's increasing sales. lol

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #134 of 3,694
  My REDNet D16 came today and I tore into it. Sweetwater is great to work with, from ordering to answering questions.

I have been an network engineer for about 20 years but found setting this up quite tricky. To be fair I was running Windows 2012r2 server with Audiophile Optimizer in Core mode so that might have contributed to my issues. I went back to GUI mode, uninstalled AO, and was able to install the utilities and the virtual soundcard that uses ASIO. After too much time and a call to Sweetwater and to Focusrite I was able to get sound. BTW. trying to reeable OA killed the output. I either need to experiement with it or it might not even be necessary now.

I started with the network cable running from my PC to a small unmanaged Cisco switch and connected the D16 to the switch also. With help from Focusrite I got music using JRMC with the bitrate set to 96K. It does indeed sound good but I am having issue with getting higher res files to play. My DAC can take up to 24/192 so I would certainly expect to be able to play anything up to that. I changed the cabling so that now I have the D16 connected directly to my PC and a cable running from the second D16 port to my switch so that I can remote the headless PC and get to the Internet and my NAS as necessary.

I will put more time into it tomorrow and also comment more on sound quality. So far it sounds clearer and more tonally accurate, basically more refined, than my Mutec USB.

If anyone has tips for the settings I am all ears!

Nice!  Yes Sweetwater is excellent - most of these Pro Audio dealers have highly trained staff (at least for Studio issues) - and boy they need to - imagine a studio with 5 or 6 various REDNETs, a master clock, a few DAW running (just look at the configs in the REDNET manual).  Fortunately for us many can just do a direct connection.

What size is your switch - 100MB?

Try adjusting the Bit rate and latency in the DVS and match it to the REDNET device in Controller.  Mine sounds best with 4ms, 32 Bit and in REDNET Controller - under your PC - using 'device config' you can set the bit rate to match DVS and change SR.

Sounds like you're hearing what we are - clear refined sound.

Cheers!

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #135 of 3,694
  I too am having issues with getting 24/192 to feed through. My DAC takes 24/192 and when I try to pipe it through, nada. 24/96khz works great though. I will try going with 32-bit mode on the asio DVS mode and see if that works.

Set the the SR to 192k in the REDNET Controller - for the PC under 'device config'.  It must match the same under the REDNET 3/16 'device config'

To get to the DANTE Controller window - right click anywhere on the REDNET face in Controller. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back