AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Aug 10, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #1,411 of 3,694
this is so very true. Low short term phase noise is very important while long term accuracy isn't. Anyone wishing to play with atomic clocks should familiarize themselves with phase noise and Allan deviation specs. There is a fellow in the PNW that is Mr. Time owning more cesium and rubidium time references than most can imagine. He also rivals the gov't for time standard accuracy. This device evolved from his research:
http://www.jackson-labs.com/index.php/products/fury
I have had one of these in my lab/studio for years. Low phase noise and Alan deviation between a rubidium and cesium time reference.

Price is only $960 for a single unit (according to the press release when they announced it 9 years ago). Who is going to be the first to try it with their external clock?

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,412 of 3,694
  Price is only $960 for a single unit (according to the press release when they announced it 9 years ago). Who is going to be the first to try it with their external clock?

Could you be the first?

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,414 of 3,694

I love this thread - when someone tries to shoot down atomic clocks - the very post fuels more audio lust!
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,415 of 3,694
I love this thread - when someone tries to shoot down atomic clocks - the very post fuels more audio lust! :tongue_smile:

Well it is easily done when someone else has to foot the bill :D

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,417 of 3,694
I just talked to Sweetwater and found out that the Antelope Live Clock doesn't change sample rates automatically.

So those of you using this clock are upsampling to a fixed rate, manually changing the rate, or something else?

Thanks,

Joel

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,418 of 3,694
  I just talked to Sweetwater and found out that the Antelope Live Clock doesn't change sample rates automatically.

So those of you using this clock are upsampling to a fixed rate, manually changing the rate, or something else?

Thanks,

Joel

The Rednet also does not change sample rate automatically, so yes I believe everyone just upsamples to 96 or 192khz.

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #1,421 of 3,694

Thanks,

Joel

I've tried upsampling everything to 192 in JRiver but prefer to have the Yggy play at native sample rate. Not a big deal to change sample rate. Both RedNet and Liveclock can be changed via software and it takes 2  mouseclicks (2 seconds).

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #1,422 of 3,694

Thanks,

Joel

There is a clear advantage of the Grimm CC1 Master Clock, it has a slave mode and can follow sample rate on the AES input.

:D

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,424 of 3,694
But if it's set to slave - would it not be the master clock any longer?  But would be taking the clock from the AES feed?

In slave mode it just determines the sample rate from the aes input (44.1/48 and x1, x2, x4), than sets that as the selected clock rate for the master clock which generates a word clock using that sample rate.
You can actually see it change the selected sample rate on the front panel.
The output word clock is than generated using that setting just as you would have manually set that sample rate.

The word clock output always comes from its internal clock generator and is not derived from the incoming spdif signal. It is just an automated sample rate switcher.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,425 of 3,694
In slave mode it just determines the sample rate from the aes input (44.1/48 and x1, x2, x4), than sets that as the selected clock rate for the master clock which generates a word clock using that sample rate.
You can actually see it change the selected sample rate on the front panel.
The output word clock is than generated using that setting just as you would have manually set that sample rate.

The word clock output always comes from its internal clock generator and is not derived from the incoming spdif signal. It is just an automated sample rate switcher.

Nice feature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back