AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Aug 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,352 of 3,694

Boy you got that right.  But then I was talking to my neighbor who just had to spend $35k for new sails for his boat - that he uses a dozen times a year - and his is not a rich man.  So it's all relative I guess.

My hope on the BURL project is to combine the DANTE Brooklyn II with a great DAC - that would at least elminate two boxes.  No need for the Mutec or the RN.

http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/79/b2-bomber-adc-dac/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burl-Audio-BKII-card-for-B2-DAC-Burl-Audio-BKII-card-for-B2-DAC/401156764482?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37470%26meid%3D23531578409746d49a18ea3a0928c8dd%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D131803551395

Yes, you brought up BURL several months ago as one of the only DAC's available with DANTE option. It makes sense to me that the next evolution of AOIP will be proliferation of more and more direct connect DAC's. The Rednet boxes have been wonderful - the D16 allowed me to "taste" AOIP and get rid of USB. However these are Pro devices and overkill for most consumer applications. Also, in my experience it is best to eliminate separate external boxes in the chain when you can. Will be following your exploration of the BURL.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,353 of 3,694
Made an interesting accidental discovery today. My Blu-ray player broke this week, so I decided to take a look at the oppo players and noticed that the 103 and 105 players are capable of ethernet streaming including using servers and renderers like kazoo and foobar etc. unfortunately there do not seem to be many people who use these players with ethernet streaming, it's mostly USB inputs that are used. But I figured what the hell I love Oppo products and miss my old DVD player so why not try this out. For a movie buff like me any reason to have an oppo is a good one.

So I ordered one from Amazon yesterday and it arrived this morning. A 103. Set up was easy and I used the basic server retrieval option. After a few minutes I got playback going from my PC through ethernet to the oppo and then coaxial out to my DAC. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the sound quality is pretty darn good. I'm going to give it some time to burn in, but so far I think it sounds promising. Now does it sound as good as the rednet 3? Not quite. There is a little bit of a hardness to the sound and it's not quite as wide a soundstage. However to my ears I think the noise floor may actually be lower than what I hear on the rednet 3. I will have to of course listen further and compare some more. But the sound quality difference between the two at this time is not that huge.

Another appealing factor of the oppo is that it is not too hard for a DIY person like myself to either buy a replacement linear power supply or build one for the oppo. There are several companies that offer replacement linear power supplies for not overly expensive amount of money. There are even clock replacement options.

The main take away from this experience as we have learned already so far is that ethernet just trounces USB. There is such a difference in the lack of digital hash and grain and fatigue once you use ethernet. So for those who are considering a budget option to the rednet3, an Oppo may be worth considering. Of course the upgrade options are more limited but again as a budget option at half the price I think it's pretty impressive so far.
cool.gif

Edit: sorry for the damn auto correct spelling errors, should make more sense now.

Fantastic discovery.
Reading this thread for a while and till now it is the cheapest AOIP.
Need more feedback from you.
Thanks for sharing this.
Happy Listening!

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,354 of 3,694

Yes, you brought up BURL several months ago as one of the only DAC's available with DANTE option. It makes sense to me that the next evolution of AOIP will be proliferation of more and more direct connect DAC's. The Rednet boxes have been wonderful - the D16 allowed me to "taste" AOIP and get rid of USB. However these are Pro devices and overkill for most consumer applications. Also, in my experience it is best to eliminate separate external boxes in the chain when you can. Will be following your exploration of the BURL.

What I like about the BURL DAC is the 2 channel only implementation at board level. So need to follow the Audinate 16 channel std.  It looks like BK2 card uses a std mini PCI socket.  So the thing we're exploring is the connection from the PCI socket to the DAC inputs.

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,355 of 3,694
Made an interesting accidental discovery today. My Blu-ray player broke this week, so I decided to take a look at the oppo players and noticed that the 103 and 105 players are capable of ethernet streaming including using servers and renderers like kazoo and foobar etc. unfortunately there do not seem to be many people who use these players with ethernet streaming, it's mostly USB inputs that are used. But I figured what the hell I love Oppo products and miss my old DVD player so why not try this out. For a movie buff like me any reason to have an oppo is a good one.

So I ordered one from Amazon yesterday and it arrived this morning. A 103. Set up was easy and I used the basic server retrieval option. After a few minutes I got playback going from my PC through ethernet to the oppo and then coaxial out to my DAC. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the sound quality is pretty darn good. I'm going to give it some time to burn in, but so far I think it sounds promising. Now does it sound as good as the rednet 3? Not quite. There is a little bit of a hardness to the sound and it's not quite as wide a soundstage. However to my ears I think the noise floor may actually be lower than what I hear on the rednet 3. I will have to of course listen further and compare some more. But the sound quality difference between the two at this time is not that huge.

Another appealing factor of the oppo is that it is not too hard for a DIY person like myself to either buy a replacement linear power supply or build one for the oppo. There are several companies that offer replacement linear power supplies for not overly expensive amount of money. There are even clock replacement options.

The main take away from this experience as we have learned already so far is that ethernet just trounces USB. There is such a difference in the lack of digital hash and grain and fatigue once you use ethernet. So for those who are considering a budget option to the rednet3, an Oppo may be worth considering. Of course the upgrade options are more limited but again as a budget option at half the price I think it's pretty impressive so far.
cool.gif

Edit: sorry for the damn auto correct spelling errors, should make more sense now.

I've long coveted the ModWright version of the Oppo 105 - what a sweet piece of kit:
http://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-bdp83-and-bdp83se-mod.php

One question what is the foobar to Oppo interface -  just a Oppo ASIO driver? 

PS Is this Ethernet connection through DNLA or SMB/CIFS?

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,357 of 3,694
currently smb. next step is to figure out dlna.

IMHO, this has got nothing to do with AOIP. This is just a plain old mpd, or popcorn hour type of playback machine.

SMB or DLNA just do file transfer into the playback device and that will have to unpack, and render it into audio samples for the internal DAC.

AOIP sends true audio samples (and not files) over ethernet and these 'only' have to be pushed to the DAC, So no unpacking, or converting and rendering with AOIP.

It's got nothing to do with how Rednets works and can't be considered 'a budget option to the rednet3' as you call it.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,358 of 3,694
IMHO, this has got nothing to do with AOIP. This is just a plain old mpd, or popcorn hour type of playback machine.

SMB or DLNA just do file transfer into the playback device and that will have to unpack, and render it into audio samples for the internal DAC.

AOIP sends true audio samples (and not files) over ethernet and these 'only' have to be pushed to the DAC, So no unpacking, or converting and rendering with AOIP.

It's got nothing to do with how Rednets works and can't be considered 'a budget option to the rednet3' as you call it.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,359 of 3,694

Who said it had anything to do with how rednet works you clearly read a whole bunch of stuff into my post that I did not speculate about. I suggest you reread it again and reconsider your tone. Thanks.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,360 of 3,694
Experimenting is good and fun .. and in the end is your money, your ears, your choice .. but still, that stuff has no future in a living room

Yeah, that's kind of why I think the AES endpoint might be a good thing.  That's form-factor is not much different than a USB reclocker.

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,362 of 3,694
You're basically talking about a streamer box here, which is not the same thing as AoIP which is the topic of the thread.

Which was compared to the Rednet 3 that I own that IS the topic of this thread. Perhaps jabber wanted me to clarify the differences so there would be no confusion. Fair enough. Could have been a bit more polite about it. At any rate, consider my thoughts on the topic closed.

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,363 of 3,694
Which was compared to the Rednet 3 that I own that IS the topic of this thread. Perhaps jabber wanted me to clarify the differences so there would be no confusion. Fair enough. Could have been a bit more polite about it. At any rate, consider my thoughts on the topic closed.

I've been reading some reviews on the BDP-105 - funny none of the reviewers tried it by the ethernet connect.  I'd like to see a comparison in SQ on a stock 105 from USB, SPDIF,  Ethernet - that would be interesting.

You never answered the Foobar question - does Oppo just provide a ASIO that you select in FB2K?

This is certainly not AES67 AOIP - but interesting none the less.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #1,365 of 3,694
Currently, Windows or Mac only compatibility is a show stopper for me. Are there any plans for Linux compatibility ?

Lack of wi-fi compatibility for the Via application (which provides the ability to stream sound from a PC connected to the network, and looks fantastic on paper) is also a limiting factor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sms marketing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back