AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Sep 10, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,786 of 3,694
I'm not talking about Dante, but AES-67.
If it's widely adopted you can be sure people like X-MOS will have a dedicated chip for it that doesn't take so much space...

AES67 is just an INTEROPERABILITY protocol. It is not a fulll AOIP implementation. So it allows two devices that use different brand-specific AOIP protocols to communicate with each other.

For us consumer audiophiles there only two AOIP protocols that have any use, that is DANTE and RAVENNA.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,787 of 3,694
... The upcoming Mivera Audio Superstream Pro (will implement Ravenna AOIP) should allow that comparison.

I don't know if there will be any comparing with Mivera Audio.
Mivera Audio is going to be a 100% closed brand system. The PureStream Pro DAC will require the SuperStream Pro Ravenna streamer to get its signal from and the wordclock frequency used in that communication will very likely be a non-standard frequency, depending on the best quality crystals they can find. mike was talking about a 33.1MHz crystal.

Afaiu to use the Mivera Audio Pro components everything needs to be Mivera Audio. It is not an open topology, you will not even be able to use your own NAS, all music will have to be transfered onto an internal hard disc of the streamer/server.

I stopped following this brand, I don't like 100% closed systems that are 'the best design possible', ............. according to the designer. :rolleyes:

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,788 of 3,694
I don't know if there will be any comparing with Mivera Audio.
Mivera Audio is going to be a 100% closed brand system. The PureStream Pro DAC will require the SuperStream Pro Ravenna streamer to get its signal from and the wordclock frequency used in that communication will very likely be a non-standard frequency, depending on the best quality crystals they can find. mike was talking about a 33.1MHz crystal.

Afaiu to use the Mivera Audio Pro components everything needs to be Mivera Audio. It is not an open topology, you will not even be able to use your own NAS, all music will have to be transfered onto an internal hard disc of the streamer/server.

I stopped following this brand, I don't like 100% closed systems that are 'the best design possible', ............. according to the designer. :rolleyes:
Thanks for info, too bad. I don't like closed end systems as well.

I've been lobbying BURL to include a AES output on their DAC. This could make it, once modded, a very universal totl audio multitool. A stand alone does it all AOIP box, a AOIP DDC like the RN3 and RN16, a DAC that accepts a AES/SPDIF input. All poweered by a high quality LPS.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,789 of 3,694
Thanks for info, too bad. I don't like closed end systems as well.

I've been lobbying BURL to include a AES output on their DAC. This could make it, once modded, a very universal totl audio multitool. A stand alone does it all AOIP box, a AOIP DDC like the RN3 and RN16, a DAC that accepts a AES/SPDIF input. All poweered by a high quality LPS.

That makes an interesting multi-tool.

W.r.t. the issue of bridging the signal levels, I think I might contact Rothwell (maker of the attenuators) directly to see what they would recommend and perhaps they can make a more superior quality attenuator.
Rothwell do custom made attenuators and because the Burl B2 requires pin-3 to be floated when converting to single ended (instead of connected to shield/ground as normal converters do), a custom made attenuator has to be made anyhow, so maybe they can do an upgraded one.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,790 of 3,694
  Okay... the madness continues!
I have had a Rednet 3 for awhile now (love the sound quality). The posts here about external clocking piqued my interests, so today the UPS lady brought my latest box to add to my growing list of "audio devices". 
devil_face.gif
 My name is cursto, and I am an addict. 
eek.gif

I am now running a Rosendahl Nanosyncs master clock into an Antelope Audio Isocrone DA (removes jitter and reclocks word clock signal and distributes it to other digital boxes) via BNC 75ohm cable. The Antelope is going into my Rednet 3 and a separate cable carries the identical word clock signal from the Antelope into my DAC via word clock in connector. 
Yes, folks,,,  I have completely gone off the deep end! Bonkers, nut job, wacko audiophile crazy.

BUT... the sound I am getting from my computer!!!    When I got everything hooked up and turned my system on this afternoon, HOLY SHEET. 
I have heard for years that one does not need an external master clock for digital, it will only degrade the sound quality, better off clocking internally from your converters, it is only a perceived improvement yada yada yada. So I was skeptical, but took the plunge. If anyone tells you that external clocking does not make your system sound better, well they have not witnessed the sounds emanating from my laptop.

What struck me immediately was the solidity and placement of images. The combination of clocking I got going on digs DEEP into the recording and brings forth stuff I did not know was there. Cymbals are exquisite!  Not painful to listen to like early digital. The reverb trails blow my mind. And the bass. I did not know my monitors were capable of producing that tight satisfying low frequency. I'll stop here before I start to sound like one of those writers for audio publications that tell you $50,000 turntables and $12,000 speaker cables are necessary for audio nirvana.

But, trust me on this. I have been playing around with stereo components for over 30 years and I dare not speak a dollar figure that I have spent chasing the proverbial "you are there" audio presentation in your listening room. I have NEVER heard audio this incredible coming from a pair of stereo monitors.
blink.gif
  Gobsmacked!

Welcome to the Asylum - my Avatar was chosen for a good reason.

I would try the DA as a AES/SPDIF reclocker after the REDNET (and maybe as Wclock input as well), it may very well be superior to the Mutec as a AES/SPDIF reclocker.  Many positive reviews on CA as a reclocker.  The Rosendahl should suffice on it's own as a Wclock in  - 12ps jitter is pretty good.  Is that an OXCO crystal inside?

Are you using the DB25 to AES output on the Rednet 3?  Give that a try if not.

Since I've sold my Rednet 3 I have a custom made DB25 ot AES cable available - was going to list it in the classifieds.  PM me for details - it not the prettiest cable on the block - but is sure sounded good.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,791 of 3,694
  Okay... the madness continues!
I have had a Rednet 3 for awhile now (love the sound quality). The posts here about external clocking piqued my interests, so today the UPS lady brought my latest box to add to my growing list of "audio devices".  
devil_face.gif
My name is cursto, and I am an addict. 
eek.gif

....But, trust me on this. I have been playing around with stereo components for over 30 years and I dare not speak a dollar figure that I have spent chasing the proverbial "you are there" audio presentation in your listening room. I have NEVER heard audio this incredible coming from a pair of stereo monitors.
blink.gif
  Gobsmacked!

Hi Cursto.

My name is mourip(Paul) and I am an addict... so I cannot help you.

I have the same experience from a similar setup. I am also in the same place in that I am hesitant to describe the improvements as I am afraid that I will lose credibility. I believe that Rob has experience with this also :)

I have a D16 to Mutec MC3+ USB, both word clocked by an Antelope LiveClock. I use fiber between the D16 and the PC. I have not tried a master clock yet as I am waiting for the wound to heal on my Visa card. I made the mistake last week of adding up how much I had invested between my PC and my DAC. It was not pretty but I would do it again...

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,792 of 3,694
Yes, I am sending digital using a solid silver AES/EBU cable going from db25 connector on Rednet to db25 connector on D/A converter.

This is a pic of my control tower, errrrr  listening room last night. 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #1,793 of 3,694
  Yes, I am sending digital using a solid silver AES/EBU cable going from db25 connector on Rednet to db25 connector on D/A converter.

This is a pic of my control tower, errrrr  listening room last night. 
evil_smiley.gif

So many pretty lights!  They were to much for me (the Mutec is especially colorful with four different LED colors - I actually taped over most of them.  Just so wifey didn't get to courious.

You know how the ladies are attracted to Bling.

Good deal on the DB25>AES - I'll post up on the classifieds.  Have an Oyaide silver BNC for Wclock connections available as well.

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,794 of 3,694

So many pretty lights!  They were to much for me (the Mutec is especially colorful with four different LED colors - I actually taped over most of them.  Just so wifey didn't get to courious.

You know how the ladies are attracted to Bling.

Good deal on the DB25>AES - I'll post up on the classifieds.  Have an Oyaide silver BNC for Wclock connections available as well.

You can turn off all the lights on the Mutec except "Power" and "Lock". Hold the menu and select buttons down at the same time.

Front Panel lock out + LED shut down
When pressing both front panel keys together at one time, all LEDs will shut down except the »POWER« and »LOCK« LEDs.
Additionally, the functions of both keys are also blocked to prevent unauthorized operation, which is important during e.g. live
events.
During that state of operation, pressing only one of both keys let every appropriate LED light according the device‘s settings as
long as the key is pressed. Thus, you can check easily the device‘s settings without unlocking the device finally.
To reactivate the keys and the LEDs, please press both keys for apperox. four seconds until all LEDs light again.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,796 of 3,694
Question.

So I have JRMC set to upsample everything using SoX to 192K, my Antelope wordclock set to 192K, and Rednet Control set to 192K. Excellent sound. Best I have had in my home. Killer.

So now I want to enable "sample rate following" using the new software and firmware for Dante Controller and the D16 which I have loaded.

I set JMRC to leave everything at it's native rate, I set Dante Controller to sample rate follow and music plays. The jury is out on the quality but in experimenting it seems like if I set 44.1 to 176 it sounds the best of all. 

Great ...except for one thing. The Antelope can only be set to one rate at a time and so does not follow.

So I am confused. What is actually happening in my system by leaving the Antelope at 192K. My Yggy clicks and the lights change as different sample rates are played so sample rate following is actually working...but how when the Antelope does not follow?

I am fine with the SQ fixed at 192K but I am so curious about how this is working...

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,797 of 3,694
Curious-- has anyone listened to the analog output of the RN1 or A8R in comparison with RN3/D16AES + Mutec + Antelope + some solid state known neutral sounding pro/audiophile DAC?

RN1 / A8R analog output would not require 3 additional external boxes....

Am curious about the quality of the sound coming straight from the RN1 and A8R - would require DB25 to XLR snake.

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,798 of 3,694
Curious-- has anyone listened to the analog output of the RN1 or A8R in comparison with RN3/D16AES + Mutec + Antelope + some solid state known neutral sounding pro/audiophile DAC?

RN1 / A8R analog output would not require 3 additional external boxes....

Am curious about the quality of the sound coming straight from the RN1 and A8R - would require DB25 to XLR snake.

Buy one of each and let us know!! 
k701smile.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,799 of 3,694
After 3 weeks burn-in the Rednet 16R and Mutec MC3 + USB truly devastates my old USB chain (Berkeley usb converter, 0.8 Curious/Regen+JS-2+/Curious link/3 x Jitterbugs). I compared the two again this weekend and it took 30 seconds-ish to comfirm I did the right thing getting the Rednet and Mutec. The speed of the transients is much faster, the USB chain sounded muffled and slow compared to the Rednet 16R/Mutec.

I use a Synergistic Reasearch Tungsten/Cobber AC cable on my Mutec and an old gen Nordost on my Rednet. The Mutec responds better to the AC cable than the Rednet. I have both placed on a S.R. Tranquility Basic platform and the Mutec is connected to a S.R. Grounding Block with HD usb cable. The result is lower noise and better dynamic contrast. 

I also use FMCs with the Rednet end connected to my JS-2 and a 1 foot Blue Jeans 6a ethernet to the Rednet.

My AES cables are Shunyata Anaconda 1.5 meter and a Straight Wire InfoLink 1.5 meter. Both will be replaced with S.R. Atmosphere Level 3 AES 1.5 meters next week or so.

The sound is so good now, I have been playing music 6 hours straight today :).

The bass boom I experienced earlier is completely gone. The burn-in time (and the Blue Jeans 6a cable) helped a lot I think.

Tommy

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,800 of 3,694
  After 3 weeks burn-in the Rednet 16R and Mutec MC3 + USB truly devastates my old USB chain (Berkeley usb converter, 0.8 Curious/Regen+JS-2+/Curious link/3 x Jitterbugs). I compared the two again this weekend and it took 30 seconds-ish to comfirm I did the right thing getting the Rednet and Mutec. The speed of the transients is much faster, the USB chain sounded muffled and slow compared to the Rednet 16R/Mutec.

I use a Synergistic Reasearch Tungsten/Cobber AC cable on my Mutec and an old gen Nordost on my Rednet. The Mutec responds better to the AC cable than the Rednet. I have both placed on a S.R. Tranquility Basic platform and the Mutec is connected to a S.R. Grounding Block with HD usb cable. The result is lower noise and better dynamic contrast. 

I also use FMCs with the Rednet end connected to my JS-2 and a 1 foot Blue Jeans 6a ethernet to the Rednet.

My AES cables are Shunyata Anaconda 1.5 meter and a Straight Wire InfoLink 1.5 meter. Both will be replaced with S.R. Atmosphere Level 3 AES 1.5 meters next week or so.

The sound is so good now, I have been playing music 6 hours straight today :).

The bass boom I experienced earlier is completely gone. The burn-in time (and the Blue Jeans 6a cable) helped a lot I think.

Tommy

Nice Report - you pretty much had a sota USB before so this is a major win for AOIP.

Too bad the RN and Mutec don't take a DC inout - the JC-2 would be a great LPS to power them.

I found the AES/SPDIF digital cable very important in getting the best SQ

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back