Audio-Opus OPUS #11
Aug 25, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #31 of 229
Darn it, I just bought mine! Maybe I can refuse shipment...

The hype and the horror.
basshead.gif

I have tried most portable amp/dac on this site and the OPUS 11 and Mojo are the 2 keepers.
Opus for true portable (pocket..any pocket) and mojo for power and similar syrup thick sound which makes the iDSD, COZOY, sound a bit thin/transparent.

Unless you have a LG G3
wink.gif

**audio comments are based on Dark Side of the Moon tracks**

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #34 of 229
Via mail, they offered to cover shipping but did deduct that amount from the refund. I would make a bigger deal out of it, but if it works for everyone else, might as well just sell it and everyone's happy.

I used to flip, after all that's what is "right". But now it's easier to go for practical.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #36 of 229
I have the OPUS #11, but can't seem to get it to work with my LG G3.

I'm going to put up a listing for it tomorrow, but for anyone who's looking, I'm willing to let it go for $150 to people in CONUS. Practically new as I haven't been able to use it, pretty much been sitting in the box. 

I'm using mine primarily with my LG G3 without any problems whatsoever so something weird is definitely going on here. I know different carriers can sometimes be enough for a phone to work or not with a dac.

Anyway it may very well work for someone else with a G3 is what I'm trying to say. I've got a European G3.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #37 of 229
What makes this tricky is that it's possible every unit is like this - and then its my phone thats faulty, not the product. I know there's a chance that it wont work for others, and if that happens, I have a plan laid out for a refund - I have things I can use to force a refund, though I'd rather not.

But yeah, on it.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #38 of 229
I'm using mine primarily with my LG G3 without any problems whatsoever so something weird is definitely going on here. I know different carriers can sometimes be enough for a phone to work or not with a dac.

Anyway it may very well work for someone else with a G3 is what I'm trying to say. I've got a European G3.

I envy you. I have US Cellular, by far the least popular of the bunch, so yeah. It's interesting though that this is the first one that doesnt work with my phone.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #39 of 229
@Hawaiibadboy  Real talk, how does the opus sound compared to iDSD and Mojo? Price notwithstanding ofc. Damn Peter has been sweet talking me about the opus and I think I might spring for one eventually lol. Is there  #12 coming out anytime soon? 

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #40 of 229
Not sure if I'm setting myself up for high expectations as I still haven't done much audio reviews, I mostly just do this for my own enjoyment. However, I have a LH Labs Geekout V2A, AudioQuest Dragonfly Black, and out of curiosity just ordered the Dragonfly Red; finally, I also have @avitron142's Opus #11 on the way. I suppose I can try to do a comparison as well but not fully confident I'm qualified lol.

So far, between the GOV2A and DFB, it seems the GOV2A is more precise and would be great for music professionals, well-recorded audio, and classical music. The DFB has a certain smoothness and richness to it, that's so forgiving of streaming or playback of compressed music. It's great to listen to for hours as it's very non-fatiguing, "analog" and musical sounding. Doesn't have much soundstage depth but it has width. Treble sensitive folks will also enjoy it.

The GOV2A definitely has more power/drive/grip, resolve, extension, and depth. More control over the bass as it's also tighter. However, on Spotify streaming (even at extreme setting), it can be somewhat fatiguing after a while. It sounds great for well recorded tracks. For the normal consumer, I would definitely recommend the DFB for this. My fiancee thought my iPhone/DFB setup sounded almost as good as my desktop setup (LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity/LPS4 with modded HE-400S in balanced) on streaming/mp3's.

I'll try to do an overall comparison later when I get the others. Prolly not as qualified but tagging @peter123 since he's doing his own comparison of $250 amp/dacs too; curious how our impressions will compare. Not even sure if this is the right place to post this, so let me know if I should move it!

--

Got the DFR yesterday. My fiancee would say it's about 30% better and can hear it right away, but for her regarding the price/performance she would take the black. The red definitely has a more solid sound image compared to the black, which makes it sound like it has more depth and 3d. The red has more resolution and dynamic contrast, meaning separation and layering is better with a darker background, which in all sounds more refined. If a person were to use this for a variety of ways like hooking up to a larger desktop system, full size headphones or speakers, I would choose the Red. For IEM's, it's funny I find I have to push the volume higher for the red instead of the lower powered black. As most people notice, black has a looser bottom end making it sound warmer, while the red is more controlled so it sounds a bit leaner, but vocals come sounding more forward. With the black, I hear more pronunciation of the beats and instruments so the vocals are bit less forward. Perhaps that's why I feel I have to push the red up compared to the black. Both DFB and DFR have great tonality, and along with the AQ Nighthawk they all seem tuned to provide spatial information by upping the pronunciation around the left/right edges of the sound field. They also round off the treble so it never displays harshness and remains very smooth. Due to these characteristics, neither are as reference sounding as the LH products but not everyone enjoys reference all the time. Especially on the go I find myself enjoying a bit of guilty pleasure of extra low end and coloration to add that vividness and soundtrack to life. I'm not going to lie, I like pictures that look better than real life with very blue skies and really green grass/trees, makes real life seem dull. For hip hop, top 40, and fun tracks the black is definitely more fun sounding and makes you bob your head like a car with a sub, while the red sounds comparatively more reference so it's better if you're trying to figure out what the lyricist is talking about or how the song is produced, rather than saying ef it and dancing around like an iPod commercial -- hence I would still recommend the black to normal consumers (unless using harder to drive full sized headphones).

--

Got the Opus#11 and I would put it about with the DFR. The soundstage is more dense and rich, but also more narrow than DFB/DFR (I hear this is also a trait of the Mojo, so maybe that was Opus' design target). The Opus#11 is more detailed, controlled and tight than the DFB. Personal preference at this point but I enjoy the wider soundstage and tone of the dragonflys; maybe that minimum phase filter really does something.

Going back to the GOV2A, it has more space, depth (so many more layers), and precision (tone, neutrality, speed) than all the others. Whereas the others try to make music sound prettier, the GOV2A tells it like it is i.e. reference sounding.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #41 of 229
@Hawaiibadboy
  Real talk, how does the opus sound compared to iDSD and Mojo? Price notwithstanding ofc. Damn Peter has been sweet talking me about the opus and I think I might spring for one eventually lol. Is there  #12 coming out anytime soon? 

The #12 won't be portable in the same way. Haven't read the specs but just from the pictures there's no way it'll be as small as the #11.

Fwiw I've got the V2+ Infinity and micro iDSDamong others in front of the #11 in the review line yet the only thing I'm listening to is the smallest and cheapest of them all lol

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #42 of 229
The #12 won't be portable in the same way. Haven't read the specs but just from the pictures there's no way it'll be as small as the #11.

Fwiw I've got the V2+ Infinity and micro iDSDamong others in front of the #11 in the review line yet the only thing I'm listening to is the smallest and cheapest of them all lol

It looks like a Creative portable amp/dac and the ports look suited for PC as the 11 is all on one side and thin enough to serve a very important purpose which is be truly portable.

I suppose I can try to do a comparison as well but not fully confident I'm qualified lol.

There is no qualified. No courses, no standardized methods. Just well structured informative opinions. I use Pink Floyd's "On the Run" because of brilliant mastering and lots of master layers and panning. Context ( what song and IEM/cans ) and that's it. The rest besides tech is pure opinion. Enjoy the giving of yours.

@Hawaiibadboy  Real talk, how does the opus sound compared to iDSD and Mojo? Price notwithstanding ofc. Damn Peter has been sweet talking me about the opus and I think I might spring for one eventually lol. Is there  #12 coming out anytime soon? 

Using Neutron and the Sony ma900 and Sony EX1000 they share a thick playback which is like lots of the mastered  layers being made available via detail.  I switched back from iDSD because it is very clinical which is less important than a lush musical sound which apparently for me is very important. I swore off the Mojo. But the OPUS is the same sound no caveats. My simple human brain and tested normal hearing cannot with Pink Floyd...hear the diff.

The OPUS gets all my time now (Summer/IEM) When the cooler weather comes and it's coming the over ears will come out more and the Mojo is the OPUS on roids with it's great power stage so i will listen to it more.
I have to disclose once again that I rolled my eyes, laughed and left a dumb comment under a review that i later deleted because a plastic dap with a screen res of the FiiO X5 but bigger (opus less res) and plastic just made me scoff and i heard it and was happy I am owning a Note 4. This #11 came with the hopes that a dac/amp/w/battery had finally hit the sweet spot but really didn't think so.

Aaaaand now I eat humble pie with a smile. Tastes good.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #43 of 229

It looks like a Creative portable amp/dac and the ports look suited for PC as the 11 is all on one side and thin enough to serve a very important purpose which is be truly portable.

There is no qualified. No courses, no standardized methods. Just well structured informative opinions. I use Pink Floyd's "On the Run" because of brilliant mastering and lots of master layers and panning. Context ( what song and IEM/cans ) and that's it. The rest besides tech is pure opinion. Enjoy the giving of yours.

Using Neutron and the Sony ma900 and Sony EX1000 they share a thick playback which is like lots of the mastered  layers being made available via detail.  I switched back from iDSD because it is very clinical which is less important than a lush musical sound which apparently for me is very important. I swore off the Mojo. But the OPUS is the same sound no caveats. My simple human brain and tested normal hearing cannot with Pink Floyd...hear the diff.

The OPUS gets all my time now (Summer/IEM) When the cooler weather comes and it's coming the over ears will come out more and the Mojo is the OPUS on roids with it's great power stage so i will listen to it more.
I have to disclose once again that I rolled my eyes, laughed and left a dumb comment under a review that i later deleted because a plastic dap with a screen res of the FiiO X5 but bigger (opus less res) and plastic just made me scoff and i heard it and was happy I am owning a Note 4. This #11 came with the hopes that a dac/amp/w/battery had finally hit the sweet spot but really didn't think so.

Aaaaand now I eat humble pie with a smile. Tastes good.

I have to preface this post by saying that out of everyone on this site, you (and your reviews) and Peter have been the worst in terms of getting me to spend my money on gears I definitely don't need. Did I really need to buy the MA900? Certainly not! but then I made the mistake of watching your video review of it haha. Hate you both :wink: jk

I will go back and check in the thread as I have most likely missed it, but have they released final specs and or renders? Maybe they will exist side by side rather be an upgrade? Desktop vs portable application for the same quality?

And yes I fully agree, anyone can review items, provided you can articulate your thoughts well, so people get an idea of what the thing sounds like (which is quite hard even at the best of times). Its funny because I am going in the same direction since tasting the Mojo. If the opus 11 is close to that..... darn it Chris you had to go and say that didn't you? Sigh whatever not like I needed the extra cash anyway lol. Is hifiheadphones.co.uk the only place to get it at the moment?

Anyways If I were to purchase it, I would mainly use it with my laptop, I doubt it will work with my BlackBerry Z30 (FiiO E17K is the only dac that worked with it). But if the 12 is around the corner I dont mind waiting around to see what they decide to do with that.

Its all good, take a big man to admit when they were wrong :wink: this opus 11 seems to have come out of left field, I knew nothing about it until Peter started telling me about it. Excited to see what else Opus has cooking.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #44 of 229

I love my ma900 like a fat kid loves McDonalds but takes the double quarter pounder home so he can add more cheese and put mayo on it ( can't do that at the McD without getting strange looks)..mmmmm..mmmmmm good stuff!

For a PC? I withdraw all my OPUS statements
biggrin.gif

I honestly am strictly Note 4>>amp/dac. As an android user and with a compare to Mojo with the same droid source I am super happy but sources matter so ....

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #45 of 229

I love my ma900 like a fat kid loves McDonalds but takes the double quarter pounder home so he can add more cheese and put mayo on it ( can't do that at the McD without getting strange looks)..mmmmm..mmmmmm good stuff!

For a PC? I withdraw all my OPUS statements
biggrin.gif

I honestly am strictly Note 4>>amp/dac. As an android user and with a compare to Mojo with the same droid source I am super happy but sources matter so ....

Haha right with ya there broski, I love my Ma900 to death. The only headphone in my collection that I would buy a replacement unit for, in a heartbeat regardless of cost. I do have to get me some of those cool looking pads tho, you wouldn't happen to have any extras would ya? 
biggrin.gif

Fair enough, I do agree that sources matter. For example I heard a clear difference when using my laptop as as source for my FiiO E17, versus something like my Phone. Even though they are both using the E17K as a dac, they definitely sounded different but I digress. 

I will be moving on to an apple or android device relatively soon so I will be in that boat soon enough! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back