Audio-Opus OPUS #11

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by hawaiibadboy, Aug 3, 2016.
  1. Hawaiibadboy Contributor
    Who is advising you??

This thing is warm. Analogue(ish). If someone is telling you the #11 is sharp they have never heard it

peter123 likes this.
  2. bencherian
    Oh ok... I thot it will be sharp since ESS Sabre ES9018K2M is inside.

How about Schiit Fulla 2 with AKM AK4490 D/A converter, coupled with an Alps RK09 potentiometer, high-quality filter and amp stages from Texas Instruments . Have you used it ?

3. Hawaiibadboy Contributor
    No I haven't

The Calyx-M also has an ESS chip and it is warm and lush with detail. The DAC coloration on sound is very very overstated by reviewers and parroted by others.
    i think the #11 is the warmest item made by OPUS. This is still one of the best amp/dac portables on the market. I thought that end of the market would take off this year but it has not. Leaving this to be still...one of the best options available IMO

bencherian and peter123 like this.
  4. s4tch
    xduoo xd-05 is certainly a warm sounding one. also, the amp section might be tuned by replacing the opa in case you need a slightly different signature.

bencherian likes this.
  5. s4tch
    as @Hawaiibadboy said, dac coloration is overrated. sound signature is mostly decided by the amp section. i haven't heard the opus #11 unfortunately, but i listened to an oppo ha-2 lately (sabre based dac, too), and with my warm iem's (akg n40) and headphones (nad hp50), it's natural, dynamic, detailed, without the slightest touch of harshness.

bencherian likes this.
  6. peter123
    ^^This! Couldn't agree more.

7. bencherian
    Means you too agree that it is warm sounding signature ? How does it fare against Schiit Fulla 2 and Ultrasone Naos ? Please reply

8. peter123
    Yes, it's a lush, smooth and liquid sounding device. Unfortunately I've never heard any of your other options.

What's your source for the #11 being bright?

9. bencherian
    I didn't use opus 11 but ess sabre used in that seen in G6 quad dac. It's bright and sharp trebles with SOUNDMAGIC E80C.

That "SABRE GLARE" i hate cos it hurts my ear and plus soundmagic E80C got sharp treble all those hurted my ears more

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  10. bencherian
    Am going for a 200 dollar headphones which needs to be Warm sounding.
    I know Sonys are warm sounding but many says it lacks details.
    Can you or anyone help me with some good warm sounding headphones ?

11. s4tch
    i can only repeat myself: a dac chip won't be decisive for the sound of a device. you can't judge hifi devices by their spec sheets.

as for sub-$200, warm sounding headphones, my first suggestion is always the nad viso hp50. they are on the warm side of neutral, smooth and easy to drive.

12. bencherian
    Any other headphones ? Nad is not available here and also shipping not possible.
    How about Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohms version ? How does it sound ? I have an inbuilt dac for now with my Lg G6 mobile

13. s4tch
    where's that 'here'? many sellers offer worldwide shipping.

beyer's are usually v-shaped, with a characteristic spike at the treble. i wouldn't call them warm. also, what's your budget? anyway, you should start here and post a thread, i prefer not to derail the opus #11 thread anymore.

14. bencherian
    India actually... Thanks for your efforts on opus#11 . appreciate that

15. bencherian
    What are the headphones or earphones that you used with it ?