Audio Note Kit DAC 5.1 signature - NOS R-2R
May 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #16 of 38
SPDIF optical is the least likely to be poorly implemented because there is really only one way to make, and theoretically it provides the cleanest signal among other digital means. Optical out from entry level DAC with reputable name  such as HiFi-M8 is more that capable to match my M11's USB implementation. I'm using my D100 MK2 with coaxial and with optical as well; no complains so far. I'm waiting my Audio Note DAC 4.1 build, planning to use it with optical option for sure. 

May 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #17 of 38
Possibly.  I suppose.  I'm not really sure to be honest.  The DAC does not have optical input, however.  The USB board takes USB in and outputs SPDIF over coax and optical - it's not an input.

Really, the only options with this DAC are Coax, AES/EBU or USB.  

Congrats on your 4.1!!  If it is anything like the 5.1 you are in for a real treat!!

May 18, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 38
  SPDIF optical is the least likely to be poorly implemented because there is really only one way to make, and theoretically it provides the cleanest signal among other digital means. Optical out from entry level DAC with reputable name  such as HiFi-M8 is more that capable to match my M11's USB implementation. I'm using my D100 MK2 with coaxial and with optical as well; no complains so far. I'm waiting my Audio Note DAC 4.1 build, planning to use it with optical option for sure. 

The best way to get the max SQ out of the AN DACs (inc the UK models) is max out on the USB / SPDIF conversion. The Off-ramp 5, M2Tech EVO stack or the Berkley Alpha USB are the best units at the moment IMO.

The TotalDAC use the Amanero USB board as does Lampizator (in some of the models) 
http://amanero.com

But for USB IMO it is best to have an external conversion and clock and feed the DAC a lower noise and data correct signal.

May 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 38
@bigfatpaulie Thanks. My build will come with TOSLINK / USB input card as I requested, at least that what I've been promised by Brain.

@astrostar59 You are absolutely right. I use hiFace 2, though not high end stuff, but it performed perfectly well when combined with Schiit Wyrd. Also, iFi Micro iDSD s/pdif coaxial output is really a good performer. A lot of great solutions out there one can use to optimize the use of USB-less dacs. 

May 19, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 38
  The best way to get the max SQ out of the AN DACs (inc the UK models) is max out on the USB / SPDIF conversion. The Off-ramp 5, M2Tech EVO stack or the Berkley Alpha USB are the best units at the moment IMO.

The TotalDAC use the Amanero USB board as does Lampizator (in some of the models) 
http://amanero.com

But for USB IMO it is best to have an external conversion and clock and feed the DAC a lower noise and data correct signal.

I use an M2Tech HiFace USB/SPDIF converter and silver coax digital cable from Moon Audio with my DAC4.1 - sounds really good. Any other USB/SPDIF converters i should check out which is a noticeable step up from my present one?

May 19, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #21 of 38

I use an M2Tech HiFace USB/SPDIF converter and silver coax digital cable from Moon Audio with my DAC4.1 - sounds really good. Any other USB/SPDIF converters i should check out which is a noticeable step up from my present one?

The M2Tech EVO is better and with the external clock much better. Power it with a linear 12V supply and better still.

I love the sound, but hate the 3 boxes and the manual sample rate selection.

But it is worth the hassle to get the sound that good, miles better than CDPs I have used. 

The Berkeley Alpha is as good apparently and is in one box, though again that would benefit from clean mains as well.

May 19, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #22 of 38
  The M2Tech EVO is better and with the external clock much better. Power it with a linear 12V supply and better still.

I love the sound, but hate the 3 boxes and the manual sample rate selection.

But it is worth the hassle to get the sound that good, miles better than CDPs I have used. 

The Berkeley Alpha is as good apparently and is in one box, though again that would benefit from clean mains as well.

Thanks for the advice, Julian. Manual sample rate selection can become quite a chore unless I'm streaming SPotify 320kbps or playing CDs where i presume sample rates remain the same no matter which track is playing?

May 19, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #23 of 38

Thanks for the advice, Julian. Manual sample rate selection can become quite a chore unless I'm streaming SPotify 320kbps or playing CDs where i presume sample rates remain the same no matter which track is playing?

Using an R-2R DAC I would keep (force) the sampling rate to stay native i.e. RedBook stay on 44.1. It will sound better. You on a PC?

I use Audirvana+ and it sounds great.

Going back to the power supply subject, IMO once you get a system hooked up, the rest of the bits can and do make a big difference. When I got the PS Audio P10 it upgraded all my components right there, clean power, blacker background, less hash. More bass depth as well. Basically I get the 2 in the morning sound all day now.

I also recommend the TotalDAC USB cable for that last bit of filtering. It smooth the treble that last bit but with no loss of detail or transparency.

I have been bouncing off the walls the last few weeks wondering if my tweaked up Audio Note DAC 4.1 is old news against the TotalDAC or Lampi units. I also looked at MSB gear. But I am coming to thinking even though the AN DACs are an old design and stood still for 8 years, they still sound magical. It is the pure tubed design and Redbook only that makes them so good IMO. If I looked to move on I would go TotalDAC Dual, but without hearing one first it is too risky.

I am NOT interested in the 'detail' wars of MSB / dCS. That is going back to the sterile and unrealistic sound of many DS DACs IMO.

May 19, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #24 of 38
I'm on Mac and to my ears the tunes sound superior than those from a PC. As it is I'm very happy with my AN4.1 Dac and since I don't have hi res files and don't intend to acquire them in future, I'm happy with a multi bit Dac. Like you I'm not into all that detail/plankton scavenging but more into the enjoyment of the music itself.

I'm keen to try out different cables/accessories to improve sound but without avenues to try them first, I am very, very careful not to buy into any hype. I was keen on the Ps audio power plant but I read a review that it may smoothen out the sound such that it may not be suitable for certain genres like metal which needs the aggressiveness and distortion to sound 'metal'. Hence I've not invested in any power conditioning equipment as yet. The Shunyata typhon/triton set up entices me but the price holds me back a mile. Add to that the cost of accompanying Shunyata cables and I can kiss it goodbye.

Totaldac sounds interesting but again out of my budget. Perhaps a used Aqua LaScala will be my next upgrade or even the Metrum Pavane. I'm also keeping an eye on the Yggdrasil which is well within my budget.

May 19, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #25 of 38
I'm on Mac and to my ears the tunes sound superior than those from a PC. As it is I'm very happy with my AN4.1 Dac and since I don't have hi res files and don't intend to acquire them in future, I'm happy with a multi bit Dac. Like you I'm not into all that detail/plankton scavenging but more into the enjoyment of the music itself.

I'm keen to try out different cables/accessories to improve sound but without avenues to try them first, I am very, very careful not to buy into any hype. I was keen on the Ps audio power plant but I read a review that it may smoothen out the sound such that it may not be suitable for certain genres like metal which needs the aggressiveness and distortion to sound 'metal'. Hence I've not invested in any power conditioning equipment as yet. The Shunyata typhon/triton set up entices me but the price holds me back a mile. Add to that the cost of accompanying Shunyata cables and I can kiss it goodbye.

Totaldac sounds interesting but again out of my budget. Perhaps a used Aqua LaScala will be my next upgrade or even the Metrum Pavane. I'm also keeping an eye on the Yggdrasil which is well within my budget.

Hi Rossliew
I agree the Mac can sound great and is easier to get there. A custom stream PC based can beat a tricked up Mac Mini but not by much and it needs to be really well put together. I think it is splitting hairs. IMO the best sound on a Mac is using a Mac Mini with SSD, a linear power supply to feed it pure 12V DC and fit the Uptone Audio MMK kit. Once I did that it was amazing the SQ I was getting, way better than CD spinning.

Yes, I am only interested in RedBook and believe there is a lot that can be improved in 44.1 without going to crazy format wars. I did the Lampi GG may sound amazing on DSD but whats the point if you only have 10 albums on that format and 550 on RedBook? I know a guy who has the GG and it is average on RedBook PCM.

I would say the Metrum Pavana won't be a step above the Audio Note DACs TBH. Your DAC 4.1 can be tweaked up for little money and make it a bar DAC 5 Special in performance. I spent about 2K and got the 496 I/Vs from a DAC 5, Duelund caps on the output and PS coupling position, and a genuine digital PCB from an AN UK DAC 4/5.

May 19, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #26 of 38

I would say the Metrum Pavana won't be a step above the Audio Note DACs TBH. Your DAC 4.1 can be tweaked up for little money and make it a bar DAC 5 Special in performance. I spent about 2K and got the 496 I/Vs from a DAC 5, Duelund caps on the output and PS coupling position, and a genuine digital PCB from an AN UK DAC 4/5.

Do you mind sharing the parts number/name for the I/Vs, caps, PS and PCB? I would very much like to mod my 4.1 in the near future :) 

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #27 of 38
Thank you so much for the detailed journey congrads on your accomplishment. I have never heard the "AKN DAC 5.1" but feel that it has full potential. How is the unit after a month absent without update. I might want to go this direction and join your journey. Please advise a little more on sound and after a month ownership to your master built treasure, was it worth it. Is there a break-in period to sound best and if so what improvements can you share!

Enjoy music!

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #28 of 38
  Thank you so much for the detailed journey congrads on your accomplishment. I have never heard the "AKN DAC 5.1" but feel that it has full potential. How is the unit after a month absent without update. I might want to go this direction and join your journey. Please advise a little more on sound and after a month ownership to your master built treasure, was it worth it. Is there a break-in period to sound best and if so what improvements can you share!

Enjoy music!

The unit is excellent and well deserves its reputation as a top-shelf DAC.  There was a burn in period (to my ears) - I don't know if that was from the components themselves, the tubes or (more likely) both.  I would arbitrary guess break-in to be around 100 hours or so.

What specifically were you looking to know about the DAC as far as sound goes?  What do you have now, what else are you considering?

I think the ANK is a very good value - I it is a lot of money but what you get VS spending the same on a pre-made is excellent.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #29 of 38

The unit is excellent and well deserves its reputation as a top-shelf DAC.  There was a burn in period (to my ears) - I don't know if that was from the components themselves, the tubes or (more likely) both.  I would arbitrary guess break-in to be around 100 hours or so.

What specifically were you looking to know about the DAC as far as sound goes?  What do you have now, what else are you considering?

I think the ANK is a very good value - I it is a lot of money but what you get VS spending the same on a pre-made is excellent.

Thank you for the reply. I have determined that yes the unit clone of the real Audio Note has all the making of a great musical unit. I had the opportunity to chat with Brian very knowledgeable and helpful individual. As far as sound I would assume it is lust and warm? I have a AMR DP-777SE that delivers a natural and organic presentation that works well my Woo WA5 speaker out to my Emerald Physics CS 3.0 MKII quite nicely being that they are 97db efficient.  I agree that you are getting allot of well thought out equipment for the money. I am also looking at the Lampizator. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #30 of 38
It's not as 'lush' as one might expect.  It's actually pretty clean sounding DAC.  I had a Lampi level 4 gen 4 and THAT was lush...  Like the forest moon of Endor...  That was a DAC that I really liked, just not all the time.  It would make a good second DAC.

The 5.1 is more smooth than lush (if that makes any sense).  It is a smooth sounding DAC but not overly warm or dense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back