Audio newbie needing help with amps!
Jul 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bzdsftw

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! My setup is as follows : flac files > essence stx > hd600. I'm currently wanting to up my audio setup. I have $350USD and can either invest in another pair of headphones (mad dogs) or improving my amp setup. What do you guys recommend? I'm quite clueless when it comes to computer audio. I'm not sure how to connect a dac and an amp to the sound card etc. Please educate me :) thanks very much

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Hello everyone! My setup is as follows : FLAC files > Essence STX > HD600. I'm currently wanting to up my audio setup. I have $350USD and can either invest in another pair of headphones (mad dogs) or improving my amp setup. What do you guys recommend? I'm quite clueless when it comes to computer audio. I'm not sure how to connect a DAC and an amp to the sound card etc. Please educate me :) thanks very much

You can connect an external headphone amplifier to the RCA jacks on the Essence STX and also to the front panel headphone jack.
The STX can not send headphone surround sound thru the RCA outputs, just stereo (2-channel type) audio.

You can connect an external DAC to the S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output on the STX.
(assuming you would also connect an external head amp. to the external DAC or an all in one external DAC/Amp)
The STX can send Headphone Surround Sound thru the S/PDIF output.

The STX comes with what would be considered a fairly good DAC chip (PCM1792A).
I'm fairly happy with the head amp. in my STX.

I would say to spend the cash on the Mad Dogs.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the input. just one more question..would the mad dogs be a nice improvement over the hd600?

My best guess(?) is the Mad dogs would offer a different sound, not sure if it would be an improvement.

Try asking about the Mad Dogs on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back