Audio issue
Jul 26, 2019 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CompGamer

New Head-Fier
Hello again all,

So for some reason the right ear cup in my Sennheiser HD 700's has been producing very low volume. (I have to go into the EQ and set the left channel balance to 25% to match the sound.)

This issue also persists if I use audio from Xbox or Pc. I beleive the issue is with my Amp and ill explain why.

1. If i pull the input cables out of my Sennheisers and switch the earcups the problem flips sides(The right channel remains quite no matter which side of headphone its plugged into)

2. I bought a new cable from my headphone to my amp and same problem persists.

3. If I flip the right and Left channels that come out of the dac into the amp, the right channel still stays quite.

I have a Darkvoice 336se and its only 16months old.

Could it be the tubes or what? Thanks all

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 11
Definitely can be a tube.

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Probably dirty pins. Take some fine sandpaper and try to gently clean the pins of grime. Each time my tubes produce a hum,this method always fixes it.

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 11
got some 400 grit and cleaned them off nice but still, not quite as loud but they are still humming. Will that go away after some burn in time?

No idea man,ive never not had the sandpaper method not work. Perhaps try some Deoxit,but make sure you read how to use it correctly. Def let it dry completely before re-inserting it back into the amp.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 11
No idea man,ive never not had the sandpaper method not work. Perhaps try some Deoxit,but make sure you read how to use it correctly. Def let it dry completely before re-inserting it back into the amp.
Alright, so i used some 400 grit sandpaper, let it sit in deoxit for a couple hours and re-inserted and still a hum/buzz.

Something weird i discovered, if im listening to music and i shut off the Darkvoice, the hum instantly goes away and the music is crystal clear for about 10 seconds until the charge in the amp is depleted. Then if i turn it back on i get crystal clear sounds for about 10 seconds until the tube heats back up and the buzz/hum is back.

My current tube that is humming is a :
ELECTRO-HARMONIX 6SN7 GOLD

Previously I had the stock tube which sounded fine until my right channel died...

I also tried rolling with a Ken-Rad and has same issue so i returned it (thought it was bad because it was from WW2)

Why is the only 6sn7 tube that doesn't sound awful the dumb stock tube...

I just bought a Huguang Treasure CV181Z tube, i swear to god if that doesn't sounds decent, I'm throwing this thing out the window and going solid state.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Hmmm...If the hum diminished after using sandpaper im guessing its a grime issue,but soaking in Deoxit shouldve fixed the issues.

You may want to ask in these threads for more suggestions.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-6sn7-identification-guide.209782/page-12#post-15077189

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/6sn7-tube-addicts.479031/page-411#post-14144804

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii.348833/page-149

I get your frustration. Solid state is much simpler to use...but when you hear a good tube amp,its hard to go back to SS. Good luck man.

Jul 30, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 11
Alright, so i used some 400 grit sandpaper, let it sit in deoxit for a couple hours and re-inserted and still a hum/buzz.

Something weird i discovered, if im listening to music and i shut off the Darkvoice, the hum instantly goes away and the music is crystal clear for about 10 seconds until the charge in the amp is depleted. Then if i turn it back on i get crystal clear sounds for about 10 seconds until the tube heats back up and the buzz/hum is back.

My current tube that is humming is a :
ELECTRO-HARMONIX 6SN7 GOLD

Previously I had the stock tube which sounded fine until my right channel died...

I also tried rolling with a Ken-Rad and has same issue so i returned it (thought it was bad because it was from WW2)

Why is the only 6sn7 tube that doesn't sound awful the dumb stock tube...

I just bought a Huguang Treasure CV181Z tube, i swear to god if that doesn't sounds decent, I'm throwing this thing out the window and going solid state.
It sounds like a bad power supply, not the tubes. You may have had a capacitor go bad in the power supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back