Audio Grade Fuses
Aug 20, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #706 of 797
I am still thinking about the M1 because it has beautiful mid-tones and bass texture, but I am afraid as well of even more brightness.

Did you get sound brightening as a side effect after replacing the fuse?
This happened to me with the M1. The level of transparency increased to such an extent that bad recordings were sounding a bit harsh, but that was all it took to make my system fatiguing to listen to for more than 20 minutes. In the end, I solved the problem by removing the toe-in of my speakers. Previously, it was toed-in to point at my shoulders, now it is pointing straight in a near field setup. Even now, it occasionally tips over to harshness on poor recordings (which unfortunately mostly seem to be from 80s, 90s, and early 00s music).

I had tried the purple before the M1 and the purple was too lean in my system and less resolving.

Aug 20, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #707 of 797
I see that they bring quite a lot of fuse to the system but did the M1 and Purple brighten your sound?

I am asking because I put a HIFI Tuning Diamond Supreme3 copper fuse in my DAC and after 100h burn in, except wonderful sound effects, I also received a brightening of the sound, including humans voices. So I am not happy with replacing the fuse because the fuse adds what I would like to get and what I did not even think I could get before .... brighten my lovely music.
I read somewhere on the forum that the fuses brighten the music, but I did not expect it to such an extent.

I am still thinking about the M1 because it has beautiful mid-tones and bass texture, but I am afraid as well of even more brightness.

I don't have first hand experience with the HIFI tuning fuses, but certain fuses like QSA are just bright. Speaking to SR and Audio Magic fuses they all slightly brightened the sound for a few hundred hours before they settled. For the SR ones it takes about 250hrs.

The only non-QSA one that significantly brightened things in the end were the Master fuse. In my amp the Purple was heavy in midrange and bass, and not particularly bright, but maybe a little more crisp attack than the M1. Others have different experiences, but I would in no way characterize the Purple as bright, or the M1 for that matter.

It's funny because this week I actually added a second Master Fuse, this time to the Nordost QSource PSU going to my network switch. Not even directly in the audio path, but the change in sound has been amazing. The flip-side is that now my system goes right up to the edge of brightness (and sometimes crossed it), and some vocals are sibilant. I might have to replace the Master in my HM1 with a Purple to calm it down, but it also sounds so good. The resolution and soundstage are fantastic. I'm really hoping the treble mellows further with time because any move to another fuse will only lose resolution.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #708 of 797
Recently picked up a new preamp and started the process of upgrading it. Ended up going with Vcaps for the coupling capacitors, and a set of Mundorf MCap SUPREME EVO Alum Oil for the power capacitors.

Next up is fuses I have the purple fuses in Dac and amp so might go this route with the preamp it uses 2 fuses so debating on maybe trying out something different this time around. Has anyone tried the Hifi tuning supreme fuses?

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #709 of 797
a
Recently picked up a new preamp and started the process of upgrading it. Ended up going with Vcaps for the coupling capacitors, and a set of Mundorf MCap SUPREME EVO Alum Oil for the power capacitors.

Next up is fuses I have the purple fuses in Dac and amp so might go this route with the preamp it uses 2 fuses so debating on maybe trying out something different this time around. Has anyone tried the Hifi tuning supreme fuses?

I see that they bring quite a lot of fuse to the system but did the M1 and Purple brighten your sound?

I am asking because I put a HIFI Tuning Diamond Supreme3 copper fuse in my DAC and after 100h burn in, except wonderful sound effects, I also received a brightening of the sound, including humans voices. So I am not happy with replacing the fuse because the fuse adds what I would like to get and what I did not even think I could get before .... brighten my lovely music.
I read somewhere on the forum that the fuses brighten the music, but I did not expect it to such an extent.

I have recently purchased a HiFi Tuning Diamond Supreme 3 13 amp mains fuse. It doesn't come with any info, as such. I placed it in my mains fuse holder the way I normally place my SR Purple fuses - with the writing reading from left to right. I was starting to think - this just isn't for me , it's had over 400 hours run in (I'm using it in a Puritan Classic lead feeding my Puritan PSM 156) but it just doesn't sound quite right. Anyway switched the fuse in the opposite direction and bingo! sounds really good now. So if you haven't already done so try switching the fuse direction. If you still don't like it I guess its just not for you. Will now settle down to evaluating the Diamond Supremes character against my normal SR Purples to see which I prefer and in which part of my system. Will report back when I've finished.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #710 of 797
a

I have recently purchased a HiFi Tuning Diamond Supreme 3 13 amp mains fuse. It doesn't come with any info, as such. I placed it in my mains fuse holder the way I normally place my SR Purple fuses - with the writing reading from left to right. I was starting to think - this just isn't for me , it's had over 400 hours run in (I'm using it in a Puritan Classic lead feeding my Puritan PSM 156) but it just doesn't sound quite right. Anyway switched the fuse in the opposite direction and bingo! sounds really good now. So if you haven't already done so try switching the fuse direction. If you still don't like it I guess its just not for you. Will now settle down to evaluating the Diamond Supremes character against my normal SR Purples to see which I prefer and in which part of my system. Will report back when I've finished.
Thanks for posting a follow up since considering trying out the HiFi fuse instead of another purple this time and hearing it added brightness was making me reconsider it.

Anyone use or try out the Telos Audio Design Quantum x2 Fuse? Been eyeing a new rectifier tube on eBay and seller had one I was considering in the deal trying work out with him.

The new preamp has a build in fuse in power receptacle area and one on the inside of amp. Not sure what fuse would be better to upgrade first.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #711 of 797
Early July I was fortunate enough to purchase a pre-owned 6 month old Holo Audio Red (which are out of stock for some time now) w/SR Purple fuse and minimal use from a fellow member here on Head-Fi to go with my newly purchased Holo Spring3 KTE. I was having issues with connecting the Red as a streamer which was ALL my fault - not the Red. Decided to remove/Install the fuse as a last resort before finally addressing the issue with the seller over the phone (thanks again @mr_derrick). I didn't take notice of the fuse direction, so I placed it back in with the writing on the fuse label facing downwards.

Being my upstream gear is all new, I knew it'd be some time before I'd hear improvements from burn-in and there was a haze to the music which I attributed to the insufficient burn-in. Pretty much since I received my new Spring/Red I haven't been enjoying my music due to this haze which wasn't lifting the slightest bit. To be quite honest - I was extremely bored and disgusted with what I was hearing and prior I've owned the original Spring KTE and uR for 5+yrs so I know what I should've been hearing - or very close to it even without sufficient burn-in.

Did some research on the SR site last and read their fuses are directional which I wasn't;t aware of being I've never dabbled with fuses before. I removed the fuse this afternoon and placed it in the tray the opposite way with the fuse label facing upwards. Couldn't wait to listen tonight and much too my surprise there is a night & day difference! No haze whatsoever. Nothing but clean, dynamic engaging clean energy. Absolutely enjoying what I'm hearing 100% now.

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #712 of 797
Just a quick follow up on my experiences with the HiFi Tuning Diamond Supreme 3 13 amp mains fuse.

Firstly, I have to say that at £150 (UK prices) it is certainly competitive, in terms of its overall level of performance, with the SR fuses I am familiar with: SR Orange (£155) and SR Purple (£190).

I found it quite difficult to get an exact handle on the 'Diamond' fuses SQ because I don't think that in my system it mixed and matched that well with my SR Purples. I guess it will need a professional reviewer who has more experience with reviewing fuses than me.

For what its worth I would say that compared to the SR fuses the HiFi Tuning Diamond Supreme 3 aspires to a more neutral balance - its not as rich and full bodied as the SR Purples but it definitely isn't thin. It's very clear, detailed and spacious. Dynamics and speed are excellent and it does sound 'musical'. Ultimately though I prefer the easy, more full bodied musicality of the SR Purples - in my set up. For those of you who use or used to use moving coil cartridges the Diamond is like a very good Ortofon while the Purple is more like a Koetsu!

I suspect this fuse will appeal to those who find the SR Purples too rich sounding. I also suspect it might show off its qualities better in a system with all 'Diamond' fuses.

Anyone who is thinking of buying one: although it doesn't say so on the box these fuses are directional so don't forget to try it both ways!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #713 of 797
Debating between Synergistic research orange or hifi tuning supreme fuses in a tube preamp. Any thoughts on what would sound better. This is the first fuse upgrade thats on the board instead of installed in the plug section. Currently using the Telos Audio Design Quantum x2 Fuse in the plug section. Dac and amp have purple fuse.

IMG_1051.jpeg

Sep 6, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #715 of 797
You are better of getting the best and most transparent fuse, rather than voicing the system with a fuse.
This way it will reveal what component/cable you need to get next.
So between the Synergistic research orange or hifi tuning supreme fuses what one fits the bill the better?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #716 of 797
So between the Synergistic research orange or hifi tuning supreme fuses what one fits the bill the better?
No point going the Orange route. Purple fuses are slightly more expensive but WAY better. Deeper and more powerful bass, fuller midrange, more extended highs. Just higher resolution and more balanced sound overall.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #717 of 797
It's funny because this week I actually added a second Master Fuse, this time to the Nordost QSource PSU going to my network switch. Not even directly in the audio path, but the change in sound has been amazing. The flip-side is that now my system goes right up to the edge of brightness (and sometimes crossed it), and some vocals are sibilant. I might have to replace the Master in my HM1 with a Purple to calm it down, but it also sounds so good. The resolution and soundstage are fantastic. I'm really hoping the treble mellows further with time because any move to another fuse will only lose resolution.
I wouldn't call Master "bright". In my setup it makes sound...."harder"? I don't know how to explain it. It's like you can feel the textures, they are a lot more defined and there's noticeably more energy. However, one Master fuse was enough , I tried to add more and it was an overkill. Granted , I didn't give them enough time to settle in. I guess, I'll give them a second chance a little later.

Sep 20, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #718 of 797
I just added a Master into my server a few minutes ago, replacing a purple. My system wasn't edgy or harsh at all before, so I'm not worried about going too far into the overly-analytical direction, though I can see it being a possible issue for others. Images are definitely more in-the-room tangible, and resolution is definitely kicked up a notch or two. It's a bit like an HDR image. I was tentative making the purchase since I already liked my system balance, but I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back