Audio Grade Fuses
Sep 3, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #496 of 798
I'm using SR Purple on the Hypsos. I checked with support and they didn't give me a definitive answer but he thinks this the flow direction for the fuse. My understanding for the SR Purple they go left to right S and end at R. Does this seem like the correct orientation. I don't want to go off my ear. Too much time in between to do a proper A/B.

The direction in the pic/drawing above is backward

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 00.48.43.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 00.48.43.png
    697.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #499 of 798
Like this:
Hmmm I see. Yeah Ferrum support was unsure and that my way was correct. I think they don’t believe fuses are directional. I’m going to have to A/B them. Are the differences very obvious?

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #500 of 798
Another way to perceive 'proper' fuse orientation is to think of the ac power as entering into the device with the fuse 'in line' with this flow.
So I orient the fuse so that this flow into the device follows the text on the fuse.
IOW as I read the text from left to right, that is the 'proper' direction of the flow of energy thru the fuse and into the device.

So with the fuse removed (and the ac power cable removed), I use a DVM to determine which pin of the IEC connection is directly connected to which of the two fuse holder pins, and that is the source of flow into the device, so the text on the fuse, as read, starts with that fuse holder pin.

Easy-peasy…

JJ

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #501 of 798
Hmmm I see. Yeah Ferrum support was unsure and that my way was correct. I think they don’t believe fuses are directional. I’m going to have to A/B them. Are the differences very obvious?
Depending upon the system it can be obvious right from the start. However after 1-2hrs of operation (listening to music) it should be very apparent which direction is 'right'.

JJ

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #502 of 798

Ferrum support was smoking something, it is their fault to choose such odd ball socket. It is NOT the fuse sound REALLY bad then backward, they sound little artificial, awkward (unnatural), and MAY gain some dynamic and have wider soundstage when backward, yeah it is funny.

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #503 of 798
Another way to perceive 'proper' fuse orientation is to think of the ac power as entering into the device with the fuse 'in line' with this flow.
So I orient the fuse so that this flow into the device follows the text on the fuse.
IOW as I read the text from left to right, that is the 'proper' direction of the flow of energy thru the fuse and into the device.

So with the fuse removed (and the ac power cable removed), I use a DVM to determine which pin of the IEC connection is directly connected to which of the two fuse holder pins, and that is the source of flow into the device, so the text on the fuse, as read, starts with that fuse holder pin.

Easy-peasy…

JJ
This sounds like the best way. I’ll buy a DVM to double check the correct orientation. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #504 of 798

Easy-peasy…

JJ
Looking to get a cheaper DVM from Amazon. Any suggestions?

Also any tips on how to operate? Thanks

Sep 4, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #505 of 798
You should be able to find a ≈$10-20 dvm from a whole bunch of sources, for example…
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=digital voltage meter

All you really need it for, in this case, is the continuity/resistance check function.

As for operation, one set of pins should read at or very near 0.0 Ω's while others should read higher, or as 'open' (infinite).
So use the set of pins with the lowest reading.
Just make sure that the device is unplugged from the ac wall socket BEFORE you start poking around with your DVM probes.

JJ

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #506 of 798
With the Sr fuses, it's obvious.

With other fuses, I just don't know. 😔

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #507 of 798

Easy-peasy…

JJ
So have you changed the fuse in a Hypsos? Measured it?
If yes, does the measurement agee with proposed Direction? Top=left, Bottom=right, meaning S on top R at the Bottom? Thanks!

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #508 of 798
So these guys have "mid Level" fuses for £620 and they put an arrow on them. In every other post people argue if fuses are directional or not...
easy peasy, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-05-21-14-44-358_com.brave.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-05-21-14-44-358_com.brave.browser.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #509 of 798
So these guys have "mid Level" fuses for £620 and they put an arrow on them. In every other post people argue if fuses are directional or not...
easy peasy, right?
The prices are totally crazy.

The most pricey must be about 9000 dollars.... 💵😂

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #510 of 798
easy peasy, right?
SR Purple are $200. I’m fine with this price. No arrow needed. They go from left to right. S to R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back