Audio Grade Fuses
Jul 10, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #466 of 798
Used Synergistic SR20 when they first came out maybe 10 years ago, anyway, it was a long time ago, the fuse changed the image shape and sound stage too much, the music flow was not natural.

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #467 of 798
Used Synergistic SR20 when they first came out maybe 10 years ago, anyway, it was a long time ago, the fuse changed the image shape and sound stage too much, the music flow was not natural.
Based on limited experience a long time ago, I wouldn't bother with the SR20. I think SR Red is the minimum start point to get a worthwhile improvement, and each higher colour is better, with Purple being best. Yes they're expensive for the apparent material content, but it is what it is.

Sometimes suppliers give discounts on certain colours, eg futureshop currently has the Black at less than the Red. To find suppliers local to your country, try googling, for example, "Synergistic Red fuse UK"

EDIT: The lowest two QSA colours are reasonably priced (for an audiophile fuse!) and have got some good reviews.
I haven't tried any yet, but on reflection, this is where I'd go if wanted to stay below £100 for a fuse.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #468 of 798
Thanks for the quick responses, guess I need to read up more before deciding on making a change to a different fuse. It took me awhile to find tubes and cables for system that worked.

So basically it’s not till you get up in the $100 range that you begin to see worthwhile SQ changes? If anyone has any fuse there no longer using and looking to sell please msg me.
It’s for a ares ii. The stock fuse is a slow blow 2A 5x20mm fuse 250v picture below. Thanks.
81542246-8091-4159-A4E4-A756592523DC.png

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #469 of 798
Thanks for the quick responses, guess I need to read up more before deciding on making a change to a different fuse. It took me awhile to find tubes and cables for system that worked.

So basically it’s not till you get up in the $100 range that you begin to see worthwhile SQ changes? If anyone has any fuse there no longer using and looking to sell please msg me.
It’s for a ares ii. The stock fuse is a slow blow 2A 5x20mm fuse 250v picture below. Thanks.
There are several low cost (as in ≈$20+) fuses available.
And it depends upon their effectiveness as to whether they will provide any satisfactory results, which is something only you can decide.

Put another way, YES this is another rabbit hole that you can jump into, or not, much like tubes and cables etc.

And fuses, especially, have improved substantially over the years and most of the 'good ones' do have a money back guarantee for the cost of the fuse (but not return shipping).
This makes it easier to experiment, but not entirely painless.

Also remember that all fuses can be/are 'polarized' and it would appear even the cheap stock ¢25 ones can sound better in one direction vs the other.
This 'trait' seems to be even more pronounced with the expensive fuses.

Do some research from the various after market vendors and compare prices, but if the budget allows a SR red/blue/black fuse while jumping over the $20+ low cost offerings it will usually be an eye opener, and save several intermediate steps.

Just say'n is all.

JJ

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #470 of 798

https://acmeaudiolabs.com/products

I have not tried it myself but Acme audio makes some inexpensive fuses, if your goal to try something out to see what the difference is.

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #471 of 798
Thanks for the help found a great deal on a SR blue. Worse case is there no differences and I will return it. Hopefully there be some improvements, I figure only way to tell is to test it with my system.

Jul 11, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #472 of 798
Sr Blue are very, very good. Impossible that you ear nothing, but some real (GREAT) improvement(s).

So it was the case with my system (see my signature).

But... No magic. It is like a revelator : if there are some problems...

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #473 of 798
In the Gustard X26 pro (U18 as well) thread most who changed the fuse prefer the SR Purple.
Funny enough I can't remember anyone in the Ferrum thread even mentioning changing their Hypsos fuse... Isn't the Oor's fuse not changeable?
The Devices I'm thinking about tweaking...
Anyone experience with these devices in here?
Yes, I have in my Hypsos as well as others. US ones are only single. EU I believe take 2.

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #474 of 798
Sr Blue are very, very good. Impossible that you ear nothing, but some real (GREAT) improvement(s).

So it was the case with my system (see my signature).

But... No magic. It is like a revelator : if there are some problems...

Wow you have some nice gear! mine’s not that nice but still I’m so looking forward to seeing what the blue will add to it.

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #475 of 798
Yes, I have in my Hypsos as well as others. US ones are only single. EU I believe take 2.
On page 15 it shows 2 fuses but the one inside the enclosure is specified as spare fuse...
Which one do you use now?

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #476 of 798
On page 15 it shows 2 fuses but the one inside the enclosure is specified as spare fuse...
Which one do you use now?
The spare is just a spare stock one. I just left it there alone. Replaced the actual one with the purple.

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #477 of 798
I received the SR blue fuse today, after trying it in both direction I decided that one way did sound more detailed decided to use it in that position.

After listen to couple hours of music I knew there was something to the claims of a fuse improving sound.
Music had more of a crispness and was more accurate in sound. My best way to describe it is the difference you hear going from a lower bitrate mp3 to a flac recording.

Small details that normally where lost came became noticeable. The music is more dynamic and had more resolution to it. Sound had more a musical quality and felt it improved on texture and PRaT compared to stock fuse.
The ares ii already has a great soundstage this fuse still offered improvements, making it sound even more spacious.
In my mind the matter was settled with this fuse, I feel it’s a worthwhile upgrade in my system.
I had my doubts about the purchasing this item, but I find it’s already added improvement. Looking forward to hearing it once it’s fully burned in.

I’m sure others will say the improvements I hear are due to the placebo effect or whatever. My response is it sound better to me and that’s all that matters when it comes my enjoyment of music.
These fuse have a 30 day no question asked return policy. Basically you have nothing to loss by trying one and deciding on your own of it’s offers value or not in your system. I bought mine from Chris over at VH Audio. They have sale going on for Synergistic

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #478 of 798
I received the SR blue fuse today, after trying it in both direction I decided that one way did sound more detailed decided to use it in that position.
snip
I had my doubts about the purchasing this item, but I find it’s already added improvement. Looking forward to hearing it once it’s fully burned in.

I’m sure others will say the improvements I hear are due to the placebo effect or whatever. My response is it sound better to me and that’s all that matters when it comes my enjoyment of music.
snip
It has been my experience that those who claim "placebo effect" either don't have sufficiently resolving systems, can't hear these sorts of fine details in the 1st place, or have never jumped down this rabbit hole with sufficient depth in order to know one way or the other.

And of course there are those who need measurements to know what is real in terms of SQ improvements and don't believe in their own ability to hear in the first place.

I ignore those who make such claims as irrelevant sources of any kind of useful information.

But then that's just me…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #479 of 798
It has been my experience that those who claim "placebo effect" either don't have sufficiently resolving systems, can't hear these sorts of fine details in the 1st place, or have never jumped down this rabbit hole with sufficient depth in order to know one way or the other.

And of course there are those who need measurements to know what is real in terms of SQ improvements and don't believe in their own ability to hear in the first place.

I ignore those who make such claims as irrelevant sources of any kind of useful information.

But then that's just me…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Had more time to listen and convinced there making a worthwhile improvement in my system. I asked the maker of my dac what directions electricity flowed and turned out the same way I heard that the fuss sound the best.
There so much involved in the human hearing to say our current measurement machines can detect everything is something I feel is naïve in thinking.
Anyways last thing want to do is argue this with people. Find many people will tell you wrong but won’t test it out themself. In less you try out something you truly never know if there something there or not.

Jul 16, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #480 of 798

After listen to couple hours of music I knew there was something to the claims of a fuse improving sound.
Music had more of a crispness and was more accurate in sound. My best way to describe it is the difference you hear going from a lower bitrate mp3 to a flac recording.

Small details that normally where lost came became noticeable. The music is more dynamic and had more resolution to it. Sound had more a musical quality and felt it improved on texture and PRaT compared to stock fuse.
The ares ii already has a great soundstage this fuse still offered improvements, making it sound even more spacious.
In my mind the matter was settled with this fuse, I feel it’s a worthwhile upgrade in my system.

These fuse have a 30 day no question asked return policy. Basically you have nothing to loss by trying one and deciding on your own of it’s offers value or not in your system. I bought mine from Chris over at VH Audio. They have sale going on for Synergistic Research's fuse’s that I took advantage of.

Will report back after they been burned in. I’m also going have partner switch the fuse’s randomly to:see if I notice the difference in sound.
If the fuse is installed in a wrong direction, the sound will be odd. If the fuse's direction is not marked like Hi Fi Tuning, the general rule is look at/face the name and lettering, the direction is from left to right.

Attachments

• 63d0d54772dea8067184b6be17cf1a83dd249f8a.jpeg
    63d0d54772dea8067184b6be17cf1a83dd249f8a.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 01.05.47.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 01.05.47.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Fuse_Direction.jpg
    Fuse_Direction.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back