Audio Grade Fuses
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #361 of 811
Since downsizng (in quantity, not quality), I now only have a single fuse in my hifi system - for a high quality 3-rail power supply that powers 3 digital components.
So with just one fuse to upgrade, I treated myself to an SR Blue. It was a big improvement over stock - I'd have to spend several times more to get an equivalent SQ boost from, say, a power cord.

I haven't compared the Blue to any other audiophile fuse, and have no inclination to do so.

PS. I found the Blue was directional, just like the Reds I used to have. This sort of thing drives Sound Scientists mad - but I don't care :)

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #362 of 811
Since downsizng (in quantity, not quality), I now only have a single fuse in my hifi system - for a high quality 3-rail power supply that powers 3 digital components.
So with just one fuse to upgrade, I treated myself to an SR Blue. It was a big improvement over stock - I'd have to spend several times more to get an equivalent SQ boost from, say, a power cord.

I haven't compared the Blue to any other audiophile fuse, and have no inclination to do so.

PS. I found the Blue was directional, just like the Reds I used to have. This sort of thing drives Sound Scientists mad - but I don't care :)
Feel you there. I'm about to purchase a few blues an a receptacle or two to keep the rig singing

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #363 of 811
The directionality of fuses is a curious observation, one that those who don't really understand the scientific method will probably never explore themselves.
Which is really at the heart of the empirical method itself.

Some just pay attention to the declared results of others, as the 'proof', just because a number or test says so.

And there are other similar behavioral 'quirks' to some of the gear we use, all of which should beg for further investigation rather than wholesale belief or it's polar opposite, without much if any corroboration nor validation.

And there is a reason why the SS aficionados have their own soapbox, WAY Over there –>…

And I too use the blacks as $150 each, for a fuse, a fuse that is designed to be expendable, just seems like price gouging to me.
I mean I'm used to 39¢ for a fuse…

JJ

Sep 14, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #364 of 811
I use the Synergistic Research Blue fuse and have found it to make a significant improvement in my headphone system. The sonic improvement is worth the price. And since it comes with a 30 day return policy it is a fun experiment to do. Order one - put it in- decide if the improved sound is worth the price - keep it or send it back. The fuse will sound better at one day, three days, and then reach final sound at 10 days. That still gives you 20 days more to decide to keep or return. More fun than tube rolling, cable rolling, or headphone swapping.
David Pritchard
575-644-1462

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #365 of 811
Yesterday on a whim I decided to change the orientation of the SR Blue in my dac. When I fitted it originally I had it with the writing running with the flow of current, left to right so to speak. With the fuse the opposite way around I noticed the sound to be more forward and slightly aggressive. Today I put the fuse back into it's original orientation and the sound has stepped back and is smoother and airier. I have to say the differences are very slight but still noticeable.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #366 of 811
I have found that dacs and similar equipment that draws, not just low current, but the current draw doesn't vary all that much due to output load changes, will be 'affected' by fuse reversal the least.
Power amps, and other gear that pulls higher current, seem to demonstrate greater changes using this fuse reversal 'trick'.

It plays into my research on the current delivery capabilities of the ac power itself.
And to me what this fuse reversal situation implies is that fuses have a 'diode' effect at least in terms of being able to quickly let current pass thru.
IOW they are allowing current and voltage to get into the gear differently based upon orientation, which is what a diode does.

I have seen this behavior in the field with wires and cables.
Don't ask me to explain nor offer a reason for this, because it makes no sense and thankfully is exceedingly rare.

But with fuses it's repeatable and while I haven't experimented with 'regular' fuses (of the 39¢ variety), some were saying it applies to them as well.
So if this is a 'common' issue, it could be a free tweak for better SQ, if the fuse is in 'backwards', as those of us who have played around with this, already know.

JJ

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #368 of 811
Have you compared your AMR's with any of the synergistic fuses?
Just curious.

JJ

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #370 of 811
Have you compared your AMR's with any of the synergistic fuses?

A long time ago, I started with the AMR, then tried HFTuning Supreme, then SR Red.

The AMRs were great value for money, and I enthused about them at the time, but the Reds were significatly better to my ears (and also better than HFT), so worth it if you can stomach the higher cost.
Nevertheless, the AMRs are a relatively low cost way of checking if you can hear fuse differences at all - especially if you're looking for a warmer presentation.

There was then a long gap, with considerable equipment change, to get to my current SR Blue - so I can't comment on how that compares to those earlier ones.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #371 of 811
Thanks for that run down.
When I first started trying different fuses it rather quickly became apparent that the SR 'plain' (1st gen) fuses were a cut above the rest (at that time) in all of the SQ attributes I use to measure 'Better'.
And the reds and blacks, each took additional steps up as well.

And I can imagine that depending upon the gear and experience, that it can be a revelation just to hear ANY improvement with a step up from a 39¢ fuse.
That something so innocuous as a simple fuse, could make much, if any real SQ improvement, let alone what is actually perceived, can be an eye opener to be sure.

I figure fuses are like gateway drugs, they seem so innocent and so easily controlled…
But once the hook has set it's all down hill from there… hahahahahahahahahahahaa…

JJ :ksc75smile:

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #372 of 811
Sep 18, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #374 of 811
SR makes 2 amp Blue fuses in all 4 categories (small and large, slow and fast blow) so I don't understand…

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back