Audio Grade Fuses
Mar 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #331 of 798
If fuses are audibly different, then the differences are measurable!
Notes:
a] This may require a skilled engineer with the correct equipment.
b] The opposite may not be true.
    Measurements may not always predict with humans will hear measured differences or how they may describe them.
c] This does not apply to transducers like microphones, headphones and loudspeakers.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #332 of 798
It should be noted that the very fact that much of the audio experience cannot be measured, and so much remains unknown, should be a signal flare that basic knowledge of electrical engineering only leads to very basic understanding of audio reproduction. For example, what are the measurements on fuse microphonic resonance? Capacitors are subject to that, and glass tubes right in the middle of the mains power -- aren't? 

Another example of "magic" little resistors -- the Bybee Purifiers. When I first heard about them I laughed them off. But I kept seeing them in reference setups in professional reviews, and even one reputable speaker manufacturer offered them as an upgrade stating "the largest improvement we've seen". They are basically little resistors you wire into place close to the transducers that are claimed to eliminate 1/f noise (think pink noise). Reading further into them, statements by the inventor betray the truth: in his research, conducting power through certain rare earth metals displayed the effect of filtering 1/f noise. Why this is? "No one knows". So, are the reviewers liars trying to push gear that they don't sell and don't advertise? Is everyone who has tried them a placebo-addled dummy? Maybe! But I won't know for sure until I try one. That's just how this hobby works! If you're an audiophile, that is.

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #333 of 798
If you can hear a difference large enough to have a preference, then it's rather easy to measure that difference.
Now with small Just Noticeable Difference (JNC) measurements are more challenging.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #334 of 798
Do you have a method and means of performing such tests?

I'd be interested in learning more about this.

JJ

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #335 of 798
If the difference is large enough to have a preference, the typical frequency response, noise and distortion tests will find most differences.
The tricky part is keeping all conditions the same as in the blind listening test part of the experiment.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #337 of 798
Does anyone here have experience with:
1) Adcom amps (especially 5500 & 555)
2) Magnepan speakers (especially 1.7 & 1.6 models)
3) the SQ of AMR fuses vs. any other hi-fi fuses (Are AMR fuses fairly close in SQ to the others or are they pretty far away?)

I'm just starting to formulate a plan.

Thanks,
Tim

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #338 of 798
Hi Tim, remember that the Thread Search function is your friend :xf_eek:)

From that, my summary is that

(1) Dunno
(2) Fuses matter for Magnepans
(3) AMRs are great value, but can be bettered by more expensive fuses.

I have personal experience of (3). I would say get an AMR to start with to see if you can tell the difference in the first place. If you can, then move onto better ones. If you can't, then you haven't lost much money.

Personally, my next fuse for any situation will be the SR Black, based on their alleged improvement over the Reds, which I think are significantly better than the AMRs, but no one can predict whether you'll notice the difference in your situation.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #339 of 798
YMMV, but I don't think that I will ever spend the money on a $$$ fuse.  On very rare occasion, my tube amp will take one out and having a $2 Radio Shack fuse allows me to not sweat it.

Now, if there was a $5 fuse that really was significantly better than the $2 number, maybe.  :)

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #340 of 798
Some fuses (the high priced spread) can come with a money back guarantee.

But I really doubt there are many returns that take advantage of this money back option.

JJ

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #342 of 798
OMG, this thread is still going!

OK, Big Pappa and I have tried almost all the fuses on the market beside the ones made newer than 2014. I just stopped trying other fuses. They all made improvement to my system, you name it: detail, dynamic, bass, air......yada yada...... If you looking for most dynamic, airy, and detail, Synergy Research fuses won hands down in my book. I did not care so much for hi-fi tuning fuses as they did not sound special compared to other fuses. Now, AMR Gold fuses stay in my system, not for their price but for their tonal balanced and naturalness, they did not "jack up" the tonal balanced of my system and provide improvement on everything evenly. They may added a little more body to music compare to other fuses. AMR Golds are not most detailed or have largest sound stage, but they sound organic, powerful, and like real music. On the other hand, Synergy Research fuses are technically superior but they sound fake.  

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #344 of 798
I had the SR Quantum SR 20. Audio fuses in general is system dependent, on the stages of your system progresses. For example, some will benefit more from SR fuse if they have moderate system than others relatively. SR fuse will help to wake-up a dull system. I had SR 20 in my WA-22 Mod Wright with GEC 6SA7G and McIntosh MA-6900 amp. SR fuse enlarged the soundstage and highlighted HF that made the image uneven. The larger sound stage and emphasized HF gave me sense of less body in music. I felt the image became not round but little bit of egg shaped. Bass got tighter but the decay was too fast. In sum, the SR fuse was a Hi-Fi fuse, no doubt, not a music fuse.

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #345 of 798
I've only briefly tried the SR-20 and was underwhelmed. The SR-Red though is great, and others have said that the Black is better. The highlighted HF you mentioned is definitely not a characteristic of the Red. I'd say the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back