Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread
Dec 6, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 646
Peter,

I done a LOT tweaking on XP and get some pretty good sound out of it, currently I only have 10 processes running when playing music, the whole registry (software, security etc ..) has been cut into under 1MB, the whole Windows installation size is around 200MB

However, now I think Puppy Linux with MPD sound even better then a highly tweaked XP (what a pity ... but I learn a lot)

Anyway, under Win7 / Foobar, VIA ASIO sound much better than ASIO4ALL, details:

ASIO4ALL: the most digital and distort sounding, not worth a try
VIA ASIO: the most analog sound, smooth, full and orangic
KS: Very balance, clean, dynamic is very good, but still has just a bit of digital sounding
WASAPI: Crispy and detail, but somehow the sound is quite boring

Between VIA ASIO and KS, it is a hard choice, but since KS is running at 32 bits and VIA ASIO on 16 bits, it is still not a fair comparison. (I choose VIA ASIO after all)

Also KS give me random IO error, and hung up Foobar during my 7/24 DAC burn in period

All latency are set to 256ms, anything lower sound harsh to my ear, although no click-and-pop sound even at 50ms

Some extra info:
- Win7 with CMP sound much fuller, sound has more weight, esp. bass
- Win7 with Fidelizer has not much difference to my ears
- Difference to my previous DAC, Ref 5.32 sound best at default CPU clock and voltage, under clock or reduce voltage will make it sound dull, I guess slightly over clock / voltage will sound even better
- I did not compare FW 3 and 4, not enough time ...

About Linux:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=662902

I use the above Puppy Linux with MPD, Puppy is the Linux distribution which has been highly chop off to include only stuff related to audio. MPD is the actual music player run under Linux

There is NO driver need to be installed, the whole Puppy/MPD can install in the USB stick and update BIOS to boot from that USB stick, after boot, the USB stick can detach as the whole OS has loaded into RAM

I highly recommend you guys give it a try

Thanks

Thanks

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #17 of 646
Thanks koonyu.  I'm going to try and install Linux on my system, maybe over the coming holidays.

It would be great to get some feedback from people on their preferences for either:
(1) Firmware #3 with Driver V1.1
(2) Firmware #4 with Driver V1.21

I have not completed my listening tests as it takes time, you need to live with equipment for awhile to appreciate it. 

So far what I think is:

I loved V1.1; it was lush and detailed, very enjoyable to listen to.  Good recordings and great recordings both sounded really musical.  No ear fatigue. 

V1.21 is much more detailed and the bass is way more tight.  Initially it sounds better right away.  Especially the bass
o KS and VIA ASIO sound the best.  Great recordings have no ear fatigue, but with good recordings it can be a bit fatiguing for me with the higher frequencies.  Maybe it is just because the music is so much more detailed and revealing?
o Great jazz recordings sound more real, lifelike, accurate but  I do miss the warm sound from V1.1.

So I'm going to reinstall V1.1 (with Firmware #3) soon and listen to that some more.  It may not be so detailed as V1.21, but I can listen to V1.1 louder and it sounds more musical.  It is more enjoyable in many ways, but I think I might miss the bass with  V1.21.

It only takes a few minutes to switch Firmware and Driver.  If others can try and listen to both setups and post also, that would be great.

EDIT - please see this post for an update:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread/285#post_9005046

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 646
joune, what do you mean exactly when you write: "All latency are set to 256ms, anything lower sound harsh to my ear, although no click-and-pop sound even at 50ms"

I'm an ASIO newbie and was wondering which settings are these exactly? 

I see in ASIO4ALL there is the Latency Compensation settings in the configuration.  Are these the settings you are talking about.

And where would I set this for VIA ASIO.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #19 of 646
New USB-32 driver for test purpose has been released.

For Firmware #4 [and #1] Driver V1.22 is available for download and test from the Audio-gd website.

VIA ASIO now supports 32 bit.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 646
There is more stuff for USB-32 going on in the NFB 11.32 thread.

Don't miss out on the action:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread/255

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #22 of 646
Has anyone got this working with VIA ASIO and Windows 8 ?

(I have the DI) Can get WASAPI, KS and ASIO4ALL OK but VIA ASIO plays with no sound and control panel will not open

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #23 of 646
Recieved my NFB 15.32 today. When I use ASIO: directKS ASIO, there are strange sounds when changing songs. Also I dont know how to do it to play normal "windows" sounds, like video from youtube, with ASIO that does not work, I need to swich to DS: Audio-gd in foobar to play games etc.. :frowning2: any help pls?

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #27 of 646
on my PC I can run on WASAPI or Asio using the lowest buffer values without any drop outs.  EVEN when I am playing a game(muted of course )  So I guess its very much dependent.

My only issue with USB32 is how finicky it is with USB controllers, especially USB 3.0 which have no issue handling any other 1.1/2.0 devices I own.  Makes installing it the first time a chore.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #29 of 646
Posted by Kingwa (http://www.head-fi.org/t/500369/audio-gd-digital-interface/3630#post_9303308)

Quote:
Hi all, we are cooperating with VIA engineers to test with USB3.0 and WIN8. They report that they have tested on some PCs and do not have not any problems yet.
If you have experienced an issue with USB3.0 or Win8, please send a report to us, audio-gd@126.com
The email title: Report of USB3.0 (or Win8)
Include the below information:
1. Computer model (brand, CPU, memory)
2. USB type (2.0 or 3.0)
3. Operating system (Win7, Win8, or other) (32 or 64bit)
4. The issues you are having.

If you are using a tablet computer, please connect the device to the rear USB port. The front USB ports usually have the worst performance and may not work well.

If you have issue on Linux, please send email and tell us the Linux gear model and the Linux version as we like to buy the same model to test with. The VIA engineers informed us that the VIA chip only supports Linux on X86 chipsets and not on ARM chipsets.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back