Audio-gd Roc Balanced HP Amp/Pre Amp
Jul 28, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #32 of 85
ERS paper is hurty on hands. Owwww

Sorry, I get one off topic post per month. That was it.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #33 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that's mighty generous of you to offer.....the OP should be thrilled with this news.
ksc75smile.gif

Peete.

haha great comeback...
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #34 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it has a higher transistor count, it's balanced, and it doesn't use op amps. That's at least a possible indication of higher sound quality. If I'm not happy with it, it will hit the for-sale forum. If it's an obvious improvement over the M3 then the M3 will be sold right away. I do need to switch to a balanced DAC, who wants to trade me for a Havana with WE tube....

More transistors and the lack of opamps does not make a better amp. Consider amps as simple as a SOL or discrete buffers such as JISBOS or Szekeres. They are discrete and do not use opamps, doesn't meant they sound better than an M3. CKK-III and Dynalo also are discrete amps that have a MUCH higher transistor count than M3 and I don't necessarily say they're better amps either.

Oh, and yes, you do want a balanced DAC
very_evil_smiley.gif

As for your post of Balanced Beta22 for $900; it's possible, with some planning, likely single chassis with doing your own casework, it's definitely possible.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #35 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha great comeback...
wink.gif

I'm glad you saw the harmless humor in it
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #37 of 85
Right, well I'm going to be careful not to pre-assume much about the Roc except that Audio-Gd is a reputable company. My M3 blows me away with its awesomeness, I just am always looking for the next step. Don't think I won't ditch the Roc if it isn't good...I will try to give everyone a nice review with lots of pix & all when it comes.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #38 of 85
I'm this close to paying the difference and going Phoenix. What to do...

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #40 of 85
F my life, I upgraded to Phoenix. I'm a believer in dual power supply action. The bonus features are great. Owning an amp that isn't half the cost of my future Ref 1 is nice. I don't want a quasi balanced amp. Oh, and it'll ship a few days sooner.

I'm sure some other sacrificial lamb will go for the Roc. I doubt it'll sound vastly different or much worse, but again...I don't want to get upgraditis.

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #41 of 85
What's your customized Ref 1 all about? If I got one, I'd have him put optical on mine. Optical's the suck but I don't like the idea of not ever being able to directly connect my computer. I really need USB since I have a nice USB cable now. Sure BNC is the best but I don't want things running through a convertor that I have to pay money for. I guess I should buy a PC sound card with coax, that'd be the ticket. Use that for all of my Mp3/flac and never look back.

Perhaps the new dac9mk3 with the ref3 upsampler/convertor box (that isn't released yet) will be the best plan. That way you aren't using dual DSP-1s.

Kingwa, listen to me.
Ref 1. Put an optical port on it. Put a USB board on it, the best you can muster. I know it doesn't fit, but you can do it. Charge the same price. Then, add a screen with a marquis that says "I'm awesome" because you would be.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #42 of 85
You can customize your Ref1 to add optical SPDIF. You would need a selector/switch in that case which in further degrade the sound.

The question is, which route compromises the sound less?

1) Optical out -> Converter -> BNC -> REF1 OR
2) Optical Out -> REF1 with selector/switch.

Kingwa insisted on having no Optical in and it'll degrade the quality. He also do not like the idea of adding input selector to RE1.

I thought about this a lot, and I decided to go with route 1 simply because I might be able to buy or upgrade my source (sound card or whatever) in the future which could provide the direct connection to RE1. In that case, I am not compromising the great RE1 in any way. However, if I opt to go with optical input now, I will have to make some compromise now that I can't undo.

But then, it's your decision after all.

Quote:

What's your customized Ref 1 all about? If I got one, I'd have him put optical on mine. Optical's the suck but I don't like the idea of not ever being able to directly connect my computer. I really need USB since I have a nice USB cable now. Sure BNC is the best but I don't want things running through a convertor that I have to pay money for. I guess I should buy a PC sound card with coax, that'd be the ticket. Use that for all of my Mp3/flac and never look back.

Perhaps the new dac9mk3 with the ref3 upsampler/convertor box (that isn't released yet) will be the best plan. That way you aren't using dual DSP-1s.

Kingwa, listen to me.
Ref 1. Put an optical port on it. Put a USB board on it, the best you can muster. I know it doesn't fit, but you can do it. Charge the same price. Then, add a screen with a marquis that says "I'm awesome" because you would be.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #43 of 85
Kingwa's invented a lot of pretty impressive things.

Now he needs to figure out a way to add USB and optical without degrading the signal at all. There has to be a way. At this point though, I'm looking pretty hard at Pop Pulse's convertor box at Cryoparts. I really just need a fancy PC sound card that has coax out.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

Kingwa's invented a lot of pretty impressive things.

Now he needs to figure out a way to add USB and optical without degrading the signal at all. There has to be a way. At this point though, I'm looking pretty hard at Pop Pulse's convertor box at Cryoparts. I really just need a fancy PC sound card that has coax out.

I consulted Kingwa about adding optical input. In short, there is no way to put optical input without adding a selector. Now, adding a selector would degrade the quality.. How much and whether that's audible is entirely different topic all together.

It's probably not audible, but then who knows.. For sanity of your soul, might be better off with no compromise at all.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #45 of 85
The selector is just sending the signal through a few more millimeters of metal. Considering the obscenely long signal path inside the Ref 1 already, I fail to see the big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back