Audio-gd Roc Balanced HP Amp/Pre Amp
Sep 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the Phoenix, Kingwa uses some or other method to convert SE input to balanced. If that is also the case for the Roc, maybe SE input isn't necessarily bad. It would also depend on what's being plugged into it. Maybe more to the point, balanced makes the most difference when it comes to driving headphones and less so between components, unless you use long cables, from my understanding of things.

Yep. My point exactly.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #77 of 85
For sure, the 4-pin XLR sounds way different than the 1/4" jack. It's just brighter, clearer, snappier, and a little louder.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #78 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sure, the 4-pin XLR sounds way different than the 1/4" jack. It's just brighter, clearer, snappier, and a little louder.

And it should be.

XLR transfers 4 active channels to headphones - 2 channels per each headphone driver.

Stereo jack transfers 2 active channels and passive ground - 1 channel and common ground for each headphone driver.

Theoretically, balanced headphone drive (vs. standard SE drive) should "double" the power and speed seen from headphone driver perspective. With SE headphones just 2 of 4 balanced headamp channels are "working". Other 2 (inverted) channels are idle - not used at all. The differences "should" be noticeable.

With Roc they are.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #79 of 85
Well guy's I'll buy once I get some more cash Wednesday. Specs of the ROC look promising. Actually looks like it's made to drive higher impedance phones which is nice for me.

Now whether or not to sell my X-CanV8P....

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #80 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. It's very easy to tell apart real Oyaide from knockoffs. From the pins on the photo, you can see that the metallic surface is rough. With genuine Oyaide, it should be smooth due to their plating process.

The pins on mine are very smooth...maybe he's using the real deal after hearing complaints about the knock off ? I'll snap a pic of the pins this coming weekend when I take the system to the local mini meet. See if they compare.

Peete.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #81 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pins on mine are very smooth...maybe he's using the real deal after hearing complaints about the knock off ? I'll snap a pic of the pins this coming weekend when I take the system to the local mini meet. See if they compare.

Peete.

If there is a metal insert in the plastic barrels, they are fakes.

Lee

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #82 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is a metal insert in the plastic barrels, they are fakes.

Lee

Thanks Lee...I'll have a look...

Peete.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #84 of 85
For $75 for a cable, the plugs are definitely not Oyaide. I can confirm mine aren't -- not that I expected them to be. I've seen the genuine article in a shop here too.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #85 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well guy's I'll buy once I get some more cash Wednesday. Specs of the ROC look promising. Actually looks like it's made to drive higher impedance phones which is nice for me.

Now whether or not to sell my X-CanV8P....

If you can manage - do not sell X-Can. Get Roc, compare and then decide.

Yeah! Finally someone else having Roc and willing to write about it!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back