Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Aug 30, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,141 of 1,272
I also have it half way in without issue on DI20HE/SPDIF/COAX = RCA

That's odd, I would never have tolerated that. I wonder if some cable outer connectors are too small to fit.

Aug 30, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,142 of 1,272
That's odd, I would never have tolerated that. I wonder if some cable outer connectors are too small to fit.
Cable connectors are just fraction different. Even Furutech connectors are a little thicker because of there rhodium plating.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,143 of 1,272
<moved>

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,144 of 1,272
Thanks! I got it around 5 months ago. It's the later version with the xlr input. Gain control volume is exceptional. The reviews of it here are very accurate but don't let the lack of bass comments scare you, the sub bass, bass, and mid bass are like 2db down about. Still extremely refined lower end. Very clean internals and a get crap done right design. Over $1k new back in the day but I snagged this used for $350. Build quality is the best, better than this audio-gd. Here's the inside, toroidal transformer above not pictured. Yes there is a DAC, its an older burr brown PCM2702. I a/b'd it with my AKM4490. The AKM split hairs with it on detail and resolution but this 2702 sounded more natural by a few hairs. Good enough for an aio

IMG_20230712_204908.jpg

That's an economy build. Board-mounted connectors are about saving money. There are other issues there also.

Take a look at the inside of your Audio-gd. It's hard to find gear with a better build.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,145 of 1,272
Cable connectors are just fraction different. Even Furutech connectors are a little thicker because of there rhodium plating.

The RCA connector is bad enough as it is. That's why I use pro interfaces as much as possible.

With an RCA setup you need full contact of the ground lug for mechanical and probably electrical reasons.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #1,146 of 1,272
That's an economy build. Board-mounted connectors are about saving money. There are other issues there also.

Take a look at the inside of your Audio-gd. It's hard to find gear with a better build.

Oh I agree the audio GD is far more built up on the inside. I was referring to the build quality of the case/controls. For $350, this PS audio amp sounds really great.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,147 of 1,272
Thanks! I got it around 5 months ago. It's the later version with the xlr input. Gain control volume is exceptional. The reviews of it here are very accurate but don't let the lack of bass comments scare you, the sub bass, bass, and mid bass are like 2db down about. Still extremely refined lower end. Very clean internals and a get crap done right design. Over $1k new back in the day but I snagged this used for $350. Build quality is the best, better than this audio-gd. Here's the inside, toroidal transformer above not pictured. Yes there is a DAC, its an older burr brown PCM2702. I a/b'd it with my AKM4490. The AKM split hairs with it on detail and resolution but this 2702 sounded more natural by a few hairs. Good enough for an aio

Even though if you feel like trying something new. I would wait and burnin you dac for 1-2month before buying anything.....

My dream is that Kingwa makes the perfect headamp the size of R1NOS. Then I would definitly stack all three on top of each other!

DI20HE
R1NOS
R1.....headamp....Im dreaming!....Please make this wish come true!

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,148 of 1,272
Even though if you feel like trying something new. I would wait and burnin you dac for 1-2month before buying anything.....

My dream is that Kingwa makes the perfect headamp the size of R1NOS. Then I would definitly stack all three on top of each other!

DI20HE
R1NOS
R1.....headamp....Im dreaming!....Please make this wish come true!

LOL! I'm sitting pretty here trust me. I do want to try more amps but it's not on the agenda yet.
This sounds great here but also relevant to the subject.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,149 of 1,272
Enjoy that dac till you know how it fully sounds on the amp you got.

@gimmeheadroom is the one who was the first that recommended me audio-gd when I was looking for better dacs than entry level.

Im glad I took this path and listened to him, also few others...

But he is right AGD hardware are no joke! I have the HE9LE - but I would still wait if I were you a couple of months, lets see what time brings, maybe there will be something new that matches the DI20HE-R1 combo!? hahah! 🤣. My wishful thinking!

Kingwa! if you hear us we need a "R1" headamp! please!:hearts::heart:

----

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #1,150 of 1,272
Oh I agree the audio GD is far more built up on the inside. I was referring to the build quality of the case/controls. For $350, this PS audio amp sounds really great.

Sure, this is a known thing. It's part of their charm. But that bevel on the new cases is glamour-city :D

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #1,151 of 1,272
NFB1AMP1.JPG

This is the R1 size headamp that AGD had built - NFB1AMP

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #1,152 of 1,272
@gimmeheadroom is the one who was the first that recommended me audio-gd when I was looking for better dacs than entry level.
You are a third generation then.
:) :sunglasses:

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #1,153 of 1,272
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #1,154 of 1,272
I did try to get that that as a brand new. But its discontinoud?
Yes, two/three years ago. This amp was also a part of R-28 DAC.

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #1,155 of 1,272
You are a third generation then.
:) :sunglasses:

Guilty as charged. @sajunky answered a lot of my questions in "the early days" and helped a lot with trusting Kingwa with my wallet :)

So many great guys in these threads, thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back