Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Feb 23, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #1,051 of 1,272
Yes.
There remains an inextinguishable lighted "dash" in the middle of the display.
Yep, I have 3 Audio-gd boxes in my rack (shelf) and another one on my desk. I can go blind in the middle of the night :D

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,054 of 1,272
Thank you for asking.

Still getting used to adjusting the settings, but am liking the R-1 so far.

Overall presentation seems optimally "made for" jazz and classical, at least to my ears.

[See signature for associated gear.]

Have the R-1 currently set as follows:

>Input=1 (USB),
>OS/NOS=O,
>Mode=4(x),
>Dither=1,
>TDA=1,
>Display=0.

Am enjoying a classic: The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Time Out. Everything about "Three to Get Ready" sounds well-placed, well-rounded and unforced. Tone and timbre definitely more nuanced with the R-1 than with the Gustard X18. Bass has more natural weight and "carry", too. The X18 is definitely the more finely detailed.

The differences are more of the subtle, not startling, kind, but rewarding to discover, nevertheless--all-the-while simply settling into the musicality of the R-1.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #1,055 of 1,272
Thank you for asking.

Still getting used to adjusting the settings, but am liking the R-1 so far.

Overall presentation seems optimally "made for" jazz and classical, at least to my ears.

[See signature for associated gear.]

Have the R-1 currently set as follows:

>Input=1 (USB),
>OS/NOS=O,
>Mode=4(x),
>Dither=1,
>TDA=1,
>Display=0.

Am enjoying a classic: The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Time Out. Everything about "Three to Get Ready" sounds well-placed, well-rounded and unforced. Tone and timbre definitely more nuanced with the R-1 than with the Gustard X18. Bass has more natural weight and "carry", too. The X18 is definitely the more finely detailed.

The differences are more of the subtle, not startling, kind, but rewarding to discover, nevertheless--all-the-while simply settling into the musicality of the R-1.
If you like jazz, try NOS. I think @FredA and I agreed NOS is the best setting for jazz, which is our main genre IIRC.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,057 of 1,272
Question:
What do Modes 1, 2 and 3 signify when the R-1 is set in NOS?
Usually nothing. I know the website is horrible, but it's the main source of doc. Discontinued boxes are still shown. If you look in the User guide

http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R1/R1EN_Use.htm (this is for R-1 2020, not sure what you have)

It says "While OS setting on "N" mean the DAC working under NOS mode, it has one mode now, it is the full new NOS configure design."

Kingwa usually has as many slots for NOS as he does for OS, but the NOS ones are for future implementation.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #1,059 of 1,272
Found these NOS Modes in the 2019 manual:

While OS setting on "N" mean the DAC working under NOS mode, different modes offer different sound features, usually mode 3 is most users favorite. Or depend on your sense .
Mode 1 : Simplest data process .
Mode 2 : Data fifo.
Mode 3 : Fastest data process.

Have changed settings:

>Input=1 (USB),
>OS/NOS=N,
>Mode=2,
>Dither=0,

>TDA=0,
>Display=1.

[Enjoying Cal Tjader, "Insight", as we speak--and down to the last visible segment of the display.]

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,060 of 1,272

While OS setting on "N" mean the DAC working under NOS mode, different modes offer different sound features, usually mode 3 is most users favorite. Or depend on your sense .
Somebody has to decode this :D

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,061 of 1,272

Have changed settings:

>Input=1 (USB),
>OS/NOS=N,
>Mode=2,
>Dither=0,

>TDA=0,
>Display=1.

[Enjoying Cal Tjader, "Insight", as we speak--and down to the last visible segment of the display.]
If your dac is recent, they are all the same thing. Kingwa kept the best one.

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,062 of 1,272
It's the 2021 version (as I was told by the seller). It must be Mode 3 then, the listeners' favorite from an earlier iteration.

The technical contribution of the "TDA" option isn't clear to me, but I am using (and liking) it with OS4 . . .

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,064 of 1,272
It's the 2021 version (as I was told by the seller). It must be Mode 3 then, the listeners' favorite from an earlier iteration.

The technical contribution of the "TDA" option isn't clear to me, but I am using (and liking) it with OS4 . . .
The same note is found on the R-1 2021 page regarding NOS modes

"While OS setting on "N" mean the DAC working under NOS mode, it has one mode now, it is the full new NOS configure design."

This is separate from the TDA and dithering options.

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,065 of 1,272

TDA mode simulates another completely different DA chip (Phillips). Turn that off.
Get that NOS mode going too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back