Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Feb 10, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,021 of 1,272
Feb 16, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #1,026 of 1,272
ETA for the R-1 is next Thursday (2/23/23).
:smile_phones:
If you don't mind me asking, did you purchase from Audio GD directly or via Underwood Audio (and why did you choose that route)?

Feb 17, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #1,027 of 1,272
If you don't mind me asking, did you purchase from Audio GD directly or via Underwood Audio (and why did you choose that route)?
@pataburd didn't introduce him/herself in this place yet, but I saw his post in other forum. It was a second hand, but fully updated. Something I would personally chase for. :)

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,029 of 1,272
I'm also interested in the r-1. I currently have a topping d90 which sounds perfectly clear and clean as advertised but I had a chord mojo for a little while which I really liked the sound signature of and audio-gd was recommended to me as something that may have that chord sound signature without having to have a battery while also having balanced output. Looking forward to impressions of the previous poster.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #1,030 of 1,272
I have the Gustard X18, which I am happy with. Have been intrigued with R2R since the Denafrips Ares II gained popularity. Wanted to pick up a used U18 to squeeze the last 10% from the X18, but used U18s are hard to find. Meanwhile, the Audio-gd R-1 surfaced, so I decided to take the plunge.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #1,031 of 1,272
Will do. My first time ever listening to an R2R DAC of any sort.
R2R doesn’t really have a sound TBH. Different R2R chips and implementations have their sound but they are all different - just like everything else in the digital world. Implementation >>>>> chip architecture.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,032 of 1,272
The Audio-gd House Sound is special, the gear gets completely out of the way of the music. I have those moments sometimes with other gear and other combos of gear. But with Audio-gd it's like that all the time.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,033 of 1,272
The Audio-gd House Sound is special, the gear gets completely out of the way of the music. I have those moments sometimes with other gear and other combos of gear. But with Audio-gd it's like that all the time.
This is so perfectly put!

In recent months, I've had the privilege of putting some hours on an Ayre QB-9 Twenty, and a Lotoo LPGT Ti. In certain areas, you could certainly say that those devices perform a bit better than the mid-level-for-Audio-gd R1 DAC found in my 2019 R28. But in terms overall emotional engagement and consistent satisfaction, Kingwa's magic is tough to beat – especially for the money.

By the way, as far as delta-sigma implementations go, the aforementioned were absolutely fantastic in their own right. Colour me an R2R enthusiast, I suppose.

I can only imagine that moving up to an R8 or R7 could land me in a place where, regardless of the money spent, it would be difficult to top.

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #1,034 of 1,272
Will there be a point in switching from a topping d90 to an audio GD r1? I'm trying to find the closest thing to a balanced chord mojo or qutest without a battery. I was pointed towards this brand. I know that Hugo TT would be the obvious choice but it's almost 7K and I'm trying to keep it under 2k if I can.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #1,035 of 1,272
Will there be a point in switching from a topping d90 to an audio GD r1? I'm trying to find the closest thing to a balanced chord mojo or qutest without a battery. I was pointed towards this brand. I know that Hugo TT would be the obvious choice but it's almost 7K and I'm trying to keep it under 2k if I can.

If you like the Chord sound you won't get it in any other DAC probably. But you will probably like an R1 a lot more than your Topping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back