Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #916 of 1,272
I have a lot of clicking going on as well as random white noise half a second before a high res track would start playing. I've since updated the firmware and, touch wood, it has eliminated all clicks and pops. This is primarily using coax input (new firmware also allows for DSD over coax).

Feb 3, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #917 of 1,272
Hello all,

I recently stumbled upon a used R2R-11 and couldn't resist. One hour in, I was in LOVE!.
That slightly "thicker" and smoother signature is addicting to say the least and it pairs so well with most of my gear.

I also happen to have a NFB-1AMP hooked to a balanced AKM D-S dac but since adjusting to the R2R-11s signature, I'm starting to consider upgrading to a R-1 to pair with the NFB-1.
Any one here happen to have heard them both (R2R-11 and R-1 + NFB-1AMP) and can share some sound-signature comparisons (or point me to a previous comparison if that is buried somewhere among the 62 pages)?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #918 of 1,272
Hello all,

I recently stumbled upon a used R2R-11 and couldn't resist. One hour in, I was in LOVE!.
That slightly "thicker" and smoother signature is addicting to say the least and it pairs so well with most of my gear.

I also happen to have a NFB-1AMP hooked to a balanced AKM D-S dac but since adjusting to the R2R-11s signature, I'm starting to consider upgrading to a R-1 to pair with the NFB-1.
Any one here happen to have heard them both (R2R-11 and R-1 + NFB-1AMP) and can share some sound-signature comparisons (or point me to a previous comparison if that is buried somewhere among the 62 pages)?
The R-1 will give you everything you love about the R2R-11 and take it up several notches, particularly in terms of resolution, refinement and balance. It's a better R2R-11, especially when paired with the better amp in the NFB-1. I upgraded from the R2R-11 to the R-28 (the NFB-1/R-1 all-in-one) and it's a worthwhile upgrade in every way. So much so that I see no reason to look any further as far as a desktop amp and DAC are concerned.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #919 of 1,272
The R-1 will give you everything you love about the R2R-11 and take it up several notches

Thank you for pitching in, I was hoping that the upgrade would be noticeable quality-wise but was afraid I'd lose out on the signature.
That leaves me with allocating the funds, this adventure never ends :k701smile:

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #920 of 1,272
Thank you for pitching in, I was hoping that the upgrade would be noticeable quality-wise but was afraid I'd lose out on the signature.
That leaves me with allocating the funds, this adventure never ends :k701smile:
Haha, that's often true, although I've now had an R-28 for 18 months and have had no inclination to switch, upgrade or otherwise. In that time I've had some tube amps and even the much hyped THX 789 amp in for testing and comparison, and the R-28 hasn't budged an inch. YMMV of course, but I figure once the music is so good, just enjoy it.

PS. Currently using it with the HD800 (SDR) and couldn't be happier. The only change I've made was cleaning up the USB input, initially with a USB reclocker (which made a noticeable difference from my Mac mini), and more recently with a Matrix X-Spdif 2, converting from USB to I2S (which made an even bigger and, to my ears, endgame difference). I've also used the R-28 with a ZMF Auteur and Audeze LCD-3, both of which sound fantastic with it.

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #922 of 1,272
Has anyone compared R-1 with R-8 and if there is a lot of difference?
I have a R28 (early version) for my headphone set up, also a R8HE with DI20HE for the speaker system, not quite exactly R1 Vs R8. During initial burn-in, I placed the R8 as the source of the R28. This is using the head amp of R28 with R8, instead of the R1in the R28. When listening using headphones, such as HD6xx and Focal Clear, the differences are not large. It is only when I ported all to the speaker system , when the sound difference can easily be appreciated. The R8 provides much more details to the music and a larger, width and depth wise, sound field. The sound origin can be pinpointed easily in the 3D space. However, unless the system is resolving enough, the difference may not be apparent.

Mar 17, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #924 of 1,272
Hi,

have been using Audio GD R1 for some time with no problems. Great DAC. However, after moving some components around last night, upon reconnecting all digital inputs, I realized that in spite of recognized Amanero Combo USB device on my iMac, haven’t got any sound from the DAC. Has anybody experienced something similar? Any tips? Is there some possibility to reset the DAC? Already tried switching different USB cables, PCs and similar. Nothing really helped.
Thanks in advance
Vica

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #926 of 1,272
Already did that. I'll try one more time. With minimum 30s pause as suggested at AGD.

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #927 of 1,272
Nothing happens.
It's still dead silent USB. Optical and both Coax work fine.
What can it be?

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #929 of 1,272
Nothing at all .... Checked & Checked. Even updated iMac.
In every player (like JRiver) I see it playing. No volume though. It's frustrating...
Would USB blaster help eventually?

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #930 of 1,272
Nothing at all .... Checked & Checked. Even updated iMac.
In every player (like JRiver) I see it playing. No volume though. It's frustrating...
Would USB blaster help eventually?
Doubt it's a firmware issue. Email Kingwa. Warranty should sort it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back