Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #902 of 1,272
I am thinking of trying to boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick. And I am wondering if these stripped down versions will support my R2R1 DAC?

Thanks! :)
I use my R2R 11 with Volumio. It even works with DSD 256 with Amanero firmware update. An x86 version of Volumio can be downloaded, flashed in a thumb drive and run from USB boot. You should try it. Volumio runs on a stripped down Linux. Works well on a Raspberry Pi. Even better on a PC.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #903 of 1,272
I use my R2R 11 with Volumio. It even works with DSD 256 with Amanero firmware update. An x86 version of Volumio can be downloaded, flashed in a thumb drive and run from USB boot. You should try it. Volumio runs on a stripped down Linux. Works well on a Raspberry Pi. Even better on a PC.

Thanks for your suggestion. However, since I am brand new to Linux and I need this PC for regular work, I can't dedicate it to run a "headless" music playback system.

However, I will definitely keep Volumio in mind. I've been thinking about picking up a Raspberry PI for some time but had no idea what I would do with it. Now I know. :)

Thanks again

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #904 of 1,272
new firnware? r2r.png

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #909 of 1,272
Ahh, gotcha. I've come close to updating mine beyond the 'V3A' version, but I'm slightly hesitant, as I'm already quite pleased with the sound I'm getting. Also, from reading on the R-7/R8 thread, it seems some were more happy with the 'dsdclk' one than the 'DOP' version for the R-7, and since there is no 'dsdclk' version available for the R-1/R-28, I'm wondering if I'll like the presumably more dynamic (but potentially rolled off highs) sound of the DOP.

But, I really should just try and hear for myself. Mostly I've just been avoiding the minor hassle of installing a Windows 10 virtual machine on my Mac in order to perform the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back