Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Nov 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #708 of 1,272
I believe Norrest installed the 1099c. I tried 1099c and 2005be on Windows. 1099c woked then I tried 2005be. This later did not work so I reverted to 1099c. All seemed to work fine, then I tried Volumio with my Raspberry Pi 3B+. It was able to play DSD256. Curiously, it played DSD256 even with playback options set to DoP instead of DSD Direct. I tried DSD Direct but initially it did not work. It was noisy or not played back DSD at all. I then returned to DoP. DSD was playing fine again. Then I tried DSD Direct again with Volume Mixer disabled. I believe I forgot to disable the mixer the first time I tried DSD Direct. Now it is working fine. It will play DSD256 (real DSD, not converted to PCM as it was doing with the original firmware) for both DoP and DSD Direct settings.

Concerning the sound, I noticed no change. At least it did not degrade. DSD sounds great with the exception of the noise in the very soft parts, depending of the recording. This is a known issue that Kingwa seems to be overlooking.

Anyone intending to load the Amanero 1099c firmware, when instructed to unplug and then plug the USB cable, power off and power on the DAC instead. Audio-gd powers the Amanero module by the internal power supply instead of using the 5V line from the computer, so unplugging and then plugging again the USB cable will not reset the module.

Does anybody know if DSD noise is also present on flagship Dacs R7 / R8? I find it so strange Kingwa is not giving right attention to it.. neither Firmware V3 bringing any improvement in this area?

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #709 of 1,272
Does anybody know if DSD noise is also present on flagship Dacs R7 / R8? I find it so strange Kingwa is not giving right attention to it.. neither Firmware V3 bringing any improvement in this area?
I’ve had no issues with DSD on my R-28 other than popping/screeching noises when switching between DSD and PCM. The R2R-11 by comparison was beset with DSD noise issues. R-28 is clean.

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #710 of 1,272
Yes! My R2R7 has noise with DSD256 - but mainly in very quiet passages & at beginning of the track before music starts and then also at the end when music fades away, It is present in DSD128 too but really hard to hear so that is not an issue. The only way to suppress it is to use HQplayer to resample the DSD file but the sound suffers a bit., though it is a bit cleaner with resampling. Kingwa does not care about DSD. he thinks the DSD256 is fine. His music files may not be the same type of DSD files I am using. I think it depends on the type of files and software. He uses Foobar to play DSD. I have not tried that, too painful to work on windows. Linux still has same noise with DoP. I have not tired streaming as native DSD, limited by my MAC. I think Magna did test out and may hear the noise now and then depending on what computer he uses.

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #711 of 1,272
Only 2 weeks since I got my R2R 1.
I use Hqplayer on a fanless PC with Audiolinux and an Arm Udoo quad as Naa (on Linux); I only have red book material and enjoy PCM upsampling to 32/384; have not tried DSD yet.
I am going to upgrade amanero firmware to 1099c and will then do some test with native DSD. I might try with Foobar as well (although I don't like winzoz much)

if you have any free to use DSD samples making noise in your DAC it would be good to share them, so we can proof it is a general issue and not system related. My unit is coming from Magna so I might as well involve them.

@Chopin75, do you have latest firmware (V3) installed? So it did not improve the DSD experience?

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #712 of 1,272
I use Hqplayer on a fanless PC with Audiolinux and an Arm Udoo quad as Naa (on Linux); I only have red book material and enjoy PCM upsampling to 32/384; have not tried DSD yet.
I am going to upgrade amanero firmware to 1099c and will then do some test with native DSD. I might try with Foobar as well (although I don't like winzoz much)

if you have any free to use DSD samples making noise in your DAC it would be good to share them, so we can proof it is a general issue and not system related. My unit is coming from Magna so I might as well involve them.

@Chopin75, do you have latest firmware (V3) installed? So it did not improve the DSD experience?

What do you use to upsample 16/44 to 32/284?

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #713 of 1,272

No, I don't have the latest firmware. Still V2. I don't think the FW affects DSD at all though it may be work upgrading to it and see; You need to use native DSD files. When I upsample using HQplayer it is not there. It is only there on original DSD files even when I use HQplayer running MAC. I don't think it would be an issue if you just upsample to DSD.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #714 of 1,272
No, I don't have the latest firmware. Still V2. I don't think the FW affects DSD at all though it may be work upgrading to it and see; You need to use native DSD files. When I upsample using HQplayer it is not there. It is only there on original DSD files even when I use HQplayer running MAC. I don't think it would be an issue if you just upsample to DSD.
With the R2R-11 I had the DSD noise when I uosampled PCM to DSD. It’s the DSD decider on these dacs that’s the issue. I know some older R2R-7 dacs also had this issue. Seems to have disappeared on the R-28 but I can’t account for the newer 1, 7 and 8 dacs. If you convert DSD to PCM the noise is gone.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #716 of 1,272
For R1 version Kingwa say
The default in the unit is V3S version, you should update to V3A version
For R2R1 version
The R2R 1 no update yet , it need later around 2-3 weeks
Why nobody dobt want try update firmware!?

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #717 of 1,272
For R1 version Kingwa say
The default in the unit is V3S version, you should update to V3A version
For R2R1 version
The R2R 1 no update yet , it need later around 2-3 weeks
Why nobody dobt want try update firmware!?

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #718 of 1,272
Hello Guys
I'm selling my Audio-GD R2R-2 DAC because I bought the R8.
It has about a year of light use and it works perfectly.
The DAC has the Femtoseconds TCXO clocks upgrade and I include a pair of Audio-GD RCA cables and a USB blaster for futures upgrades.
The price I sell it is USD 580 including worldwide shippment and I accept PayPal payment only.
If anyone is interested, please send me an email to pguillemaina@yahoo.com.ar and I will send you pictures.
It doesn't have the original box, but I will ship it very well packed.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #719 of 1,272
I just noticed some interesting news on Audio-GD home page: new version of R2R 11 with fixed DSD playback. Kingwa now focusing on DSD issue?

"R2R 11 2019 version new upgraded:
Since 28th of Oct. 2018 ,the R2R 11 2019 version had released , it had upgraded to reduce the DSD noise had extra -14DB and keep the sound same with the older version. Now the DSD background noise level is similar to the popular OS design units , but R2R 11 is a NOS design."

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #720 of 1,272
I just noticed some interesting news on Audio-GD home page: new version of R2R 11 with fixed DSD playback. Kingwa now focusing on DSD issue?

"R2R 11 2019 version new upgraded:
Since 28th of Oct. 2018 ,the R2R 11 2019 version had released , it had upgraded to reduce the DSD noise had extra -14DB and keep the sound same with the older version. Now the DSD background noise level is similar to the popular OS design units , but R2R 11 is a NOS design."
Very interesting indeed. This implies that OS mode eliminates the DSD noise, although I have zero DSD noise on my R-28 in NOS 3 mode. Still, a welcome development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back