Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #316 of 1,272
I'm getting R2R 1 tomorrow. Will pair it with NFB 1 amp using ACSS cable (later will try XLR connection but ACSS comes first). Can't wait for tests.
If I don't like it then I'll get D-57 (2x sabre 9028pro) for tests. But after reading some of the reviews - once you go with R2R dacs there is no way back :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #317 of 1,272
I am so happy, i got my R2R-2 back from repair. Sound as good as before on my HE-560.

@FredA you mentioned that you are using a Maestro outlet in your system, does it make a noticable difference over a cheap home depot outlet ? Was thinking buying one or furutech gtx.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #318 of 1,272
I am so happy, i got my R2R-2 back from repair. Sound as good as before on my HE-560.

@FredA you mentioned that you are using a Maestro outlet in your system, does it make a noticable difference over a cheap home depot outlet ? Was thinking buying one or furutech gtx.
Great!

Depends on the rest of your setup. i remember hearing an audible difference. But i would get a power cord for the dac before that if i were you. And a proper power distributor. It's much more audible. I have power a cable to recommend under 100 CAD.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #319 of 1,272
I have a Pangea 14se mkii power cord for both my dac and amp and i found they brought great weight and depth to the sound. They balance well with the treble energy of my headphone. I didn't try other cord brands so i cannot compare. I am curious about the power cord you recommend and the improvement it brings.

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #321 of 1,272
It has been 3 weeks but my R2R-1 still haven't arrived since I placed order. Is it normal?
Took me around 3 weeks to receive it. It is a small shop, depending if they have a high volume of units to assemble, it could take a bit longer. You can write an email to Kingwa he is usually really responsive.

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #322 of 1,272
Took me around 3 weeks to receive it. It is a small shop, depending if they have a high volume of units to assemble, it could take a bit longer. You can write an email to Kingwa he is usually really responsive.

It's okay. I think I can tolerate with slight delay as long quality isn't jeopardized. Can't wait for my unit to arrive.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #323 of 1,272
I have a Pangea 14se mkii power cord for both my dac and amp and i found they brought great weight and depth to the sound. They balance well with the treble energy of my headphone. I didn't try other cord brands so i cannot compare. I am curious about the power cord you recommend and the improvement it brings.
Never tried the Pangea. The cord i am refering to is a Furukawa found on ebay, with gold-plated connectors. It makes the sound smoother, more relaxed and improves the bass. Especially with the big audio-gd gears (3-transformer). The benefits may not be as considerable with a smaller machine like you have. Maybe your Pangea is already optimal. Or as good. The Maestro will give you a smaller inprovment than these cords but still has a positive effect after the burn in.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #324 of 1,272
I'm getting R2R 1 tomorrow. Will pair it with NFB 1 amp using ACSS cable (later will try XLR connection but ACSS comes first). Can't wait for tests.
If I don't like it then I'll get D-57 (2x sabre 9028pro) for tests. But after reading some of the reviews - once you go with R2R dacs there is no way back :wink:
The difference is better dynamics and timbres with the r2r. And if you do sw conversion to dsd, you get a sound that is close to a Sabre. Those r2r dac are so customizable, it makes them extremely enjoyable once you find your favorite configuration. Count a good 500 hours of burn-in or more.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #325 of 1,272
Never tried the Pangea. The cord i am refering to is a Furukawa found on ebay, with gold-plated connectors. It makes the sound smoother, more relaxed and improves the bass. Especially with the big audio-gd gears (3-transformer). The benefits may not be as considerable with a smaller machine like you have. Maybe your Pangea is already optimal. Or as good. The Maestro will give you a smaller inprovment than these cords but still has a positive effect after the burn in.
I think the Pangea shares similar characteristics, gold-plated connectors with improved bass. Those Furukawa cables look high quality and at a reasonable price. Thanks for the recommendation and your input on the Maestro outlet.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #326 of 1,272
I can't tear myself away from my R2R 1rig. I told myself I'd listen to a few songs and an hour later I'm still adding to my playlist.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #328 of 1,272
That's a good thing!

It's everything, in some ways. It's why I got into this hobby. Always a music fan first, before I could afford a truly great pair of headphones. The R2R 1 is something else though. Reminds me of a time when great hi-fi analog systems were a lot more common. Like, late 70s era gear.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #329 of 1,272
It's everything, in some ways. It's why I got into this hobby. Always a music fan first, before I could afford a truly great pair of headphones. The R2R 1 is something else though. Reminds me of a time when great hi-fi analog systems were a lot more common. Like, late 70s era gear.
I can’t say I’m familiar with 70s era analogue audio, although I do believe music quality (not reproduction quality - there’s a big difference) has declined steadily since the 70s. Exceptions to that are electronica and electronic music, which has been boosted by modern technology (again talking about he tools of the trade not the artists).

My question for you is if you feel this euphoric sound is really a trait of ladder dacs in general? Have you heard the R2R-11 for example? That’s what I currently use and feel much the same about the ‘musicality’ and organic, analogue-like sound yore describing. Just wondering what ‘more’ you would get from stepping up to a fully balanced NOS/OS ladder like the R2R-1?

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #330 of 1,272
I can answer for r2r 11 vs r2r 7.

One sound as analog as the other when in nos mode. You get a little more detail with the r2r 7 and better dynamics, especially in os mode. In addition, the r2r 1, r2r 2 and r2r 7 can be tuned to your likings having dsp settings and supporting both nos and os playback. But still, the r2r 11 is not far behind. It has such fluidity. It is an excellent dac. I won't sell mine ever, i just love its sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back