Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
May 28, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #301 of 1,272
@Kingwa why no response to our emails regarding support? You confirmed receipt of my DOA NFB-28.38 a month ago, but no communication since. I have sent you 3 follow-up emails to request update with no response.

Based on this thread it looks like there are others who have the same problem. Can you please let us know status? Thank you.
I spoke to Kingwa.

BernieB will get his r2r 2 back soon. As for your nfb28.38, Kingwa told me the last such unit to come in was on May 3rd and that all nfb28 received prior to this date have been processed. Perhaps your dac is the one received on May 3rd, otherwise, it seems like they did not get it yet or that it has been processed already. If you used economy shipping, it can take easily 2 month to arrive.

As for their lack of answer, it surprises me but they may be very busy. Kingwa is normally very responsive.

May 28, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #302 of 1,272
I spoke to Kingwa.

BernieB will get his r2r 2 back soon. As for your nfb28.38, Kingwa told me the last such unit to come in was on May 3rd and that all nfb28 received prior to this date have been processed. Perhaps your dac is the one received on May 3rd, otherwise, it seems like they did not get it yet or that it has been processed already. If you used economy shipping, it can take easily 2 month to arrive.

As for their lack of answer, it surprises me but they may be very busy. Kingwa is normally very responsive.

Fred, thank you for reaching out on this. Yes, mine was delivered on May 3. As I mentioned above, I have sent 3 emails since then just looking for an update. Any response would have been fine, even something like, "we've had it for a month but we're still working on it."

I suppose I will continue wait for it to be processed.

Thanks again

May 28, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #303 of 1,272
Fred, thank you for reaching out on this. Yes, mine was delivered on May 3. As I mentioned above, I have sent 3 emails since then just looking for an update. Any response would have been fine, even something like, "we've had it for a month but we're still working on it."

I suppose I will continue wait for it to be processed.

Thanks again
No problem. Kingwa mentioned about a unit they wanted to monitor for a while since they found nothing wrong with it. Perhaps it's yours. My understanding is your unit should be processed soon. They would just want to make sure there is really no problem with it.

Have you only tried the usb in with it? If so, the problem you had could be computer-related, in which case they would not find any problem with it.

May 28, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #304 of 1,272
No problem. Kingwa mentioned about a unit they wanted to monitor for a while since they found nothing wrong with it. Perhaps it's yours. My understanding is your unit should be processed soon. They would just want to make sure there is really no problem with it.

Have you only tried the usb in with it? If so, the problem you had could be computer-related, in which case they would not find any problem with it.

The problem I was having was that the sound would cut out at random intervals, each time for a second or two, starting from the day i received the unit. The reason I isolated the DAC as the potential problem is that it it would cut out only with digital sound input, but not with analog.

I encountered the same issue described when tested under the following conditions, so I know it wasn't source specific:
  1. USB input from MacBook Pro
  2. USB input from Win10 PC
  3. USB input from Android Phone via OTG cable
  4. TOSLINK input from Chromecast Audio
I also tried the following variations:
  1. Changing USB cable
  2. Changing TOSLINK cable
  3. Tried 2 different Chromecast Audio devices
  4. Foobar2000, Spotify, iTunes, Plex as music source
Furthermore, I made a recording of the frequency cut-out using Audacity that captured both the visual and auditory mainfestation of the problem and sent the recording to Kingwa for review.

I do understand that I may have overlooked something, but I notified Kingwa of the problem immediately and then spent some trying everything I could think of to trace the issue to something other than the DAC.

I guess if it is something else, I'm just not seeing it...

May 28, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #305 of 1,272
The problem I was having was that the sound would cut out at random intervals, each time for a second or two, starting from the day i received the unit. The reason I isolated the DAC as the potential problem is that it it would cut out only with digital sound input, but not with analog.

I encountered the same issue described when tested under the following conditions, so I know it wasn't source specific:
  1. USB input from MacBook Pro
  2. USB input from Win10 PC
  3. USB input from Android Phone via OTG cable
  4. TOSLINK input from Chromecast Audio
I also tried the following variations:
  1. Changing USB cable
  2. Changing TOSLINK cable
  3. Tried 2 different Chromecast Audio devices
  4. Foobar2000, Spotify, iTunes, Plex as music source
Furthermore, I made a recording of the frequency cut-out using Audacity that captured both the visual and auditory mainfestation of the problem and sent the recording to Kingwa for review.

I do understand that I may have overlooked something, but I notified Kingwa of the problem immediately and then spent some trying everything I could think of to trace the issue to something other than the DAC.

I guess if it is something else, I'm just not seeing it...
Could perhaps be caused by a very noisy device plugged nearby. Don't know. It's still possible your unit had no issue. Quite strange. Hope this gets sorted out soon. Good luck.

May 28, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #306 of 1,272
Just to update everyone, as FredA mentioned, audio gd found the issue with my R2R-2. It was a small issue with the input selector. A small metal ball dropped during shipping and the contact got loose. I should receive it in a week or so. Thanks again FredA for reaching out to Kingwa for us.

May 30, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #307 of 1,272
I've heard no clicking/popping with my R2R in my time with it. I've used both NOS/OS and have a variety of file formats/quality. I've not been scientific about it, but no pops in anycase.

Interesting. Assuming you are playing from the PC, can you post your configuration (player, DSD mode, output mode, bit depth, processing)?

May 30, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #308 of 1,272
I use Spotify and Fubar2000. The latter is simply direct sound using my R2R 1 as the output device. The tracks played are a mish-mash of formats and bitrates. 44k-96k 16 & 24 bit.. all sorts.

May 30, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #309 of 1,272
Using direct sound your DAC will always receive a fixed sampling rate set in the playback device Windows settings. No wonder you do not hear any pops and clicks. They happen at sampling rate changes. You should get, at least, a click when Windows boot, though. I get a click from my R2R 11 when it starts receiving an audio stream (from "no signal" to 44.1 kHz, for instance). In your case, this transition should occur at Windows boot and, if you do not have any software that connects to the DAC in exclusive mode, Windows will keep being connected continuously at the set sampling rate. Even playing your music with foobar2000 (with direct sound), Windows will be controlling the DAC all the time. For getting the best sound quality possible, you should set foobar2000 output to ASIO, WASAPI or Kernel. This will give foobar2000 full control of the DAC and allow streaming the file original sampling rate and bit depth (bit perfect).

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #310 of 1,272
I use Spotify and Fubar2000. The latter is simply direct sound using my R2R 1 as the output device. The tracks played are a mish-mash of formats and bitrates. 44k-96k 16 & 24 bit.. all sorts.

Thank you for your reply. I am just trying to understand what Foobar is doing, if anything, that can alter the output, like down- or up-sampling, processing, or outputting DSD as a PCM signal. So, specifically, please post your settings as follows:

1. Preferences -> Output -> Output data format [16, 24, 32 bits]
2. Preferences -> Output -> Device [DS, KS, ASIO, WASAPI (event), WASAPI (push), DSD: DS, DSD:KS, DSD:ASIO, DSD:WASAPI (event), DSD:WASAPI (push)]
3. Preferences -> Tools -> SACD -> Output mode [DSD, PCM, DSD+PCM]
4. Preferences -> Tools -> SACD -> DSD Processor [None, DSD Processor]
5. In case the last setting is set to ‘DSD Processor’, the settings in Preferences -> Tools -> DSD Processor

And lastly, as a sanity check, I assume your R2R 1 is not updated to the current firmware (March, 28th), right?

From what I have read, Direct Sound (DS) on Windows converts all audio files’ format to your desired settings, so the DAC will be receiving all tracks with the same format. Hence, your R2R 1 will not click/pop on playing tracks whose original formats are different. I am not sure about this DS feature, however.

@Elder was quicker on his comments about DS. :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #311 of 1,272
Kingwa either posted or somebody quoted an email reply stating that the r2r11 doesn't have a mute function, hence the pops. He said that other r2r's do, so no pops.

I've used asio/wasapi and had no pops either. Reverted back to ds as I wanted to share audio across programs.

Might just be your unit?

May 31, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #312 of 1,272
Kingwa either posted or somebody quoted an email reply stating that the r2r11 doesn't have a mute function, hence the pops. He said that other r2r's do, so no pops.

I've used asio/wasapi and had no pops either. Reverted back to ds as I wanted to share audio across programs.

Might just be your unit?
All the r2r dacs had pops. No anymore with the new firmware installed on the r2r boards, since one month ago or so. I will update both my r2r 7 and r2r 11 with a new firmware as soon as i receive my xilinx programmer.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #315 of 1,272
I plan to buy all the same Audio-gd R2R 1
There are dealers with a version of the USB-amanero isolator and TCXO*3 built in
but I did not see it on the offiicial site
D-77 is with TCXO*3 built in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back