Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #16 of 1,272
subbed

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 1,272
I was about to purchase R2R 2 to pair up with my NFB-1 amp (balanced), and I was informed by Audio Gd that they would be launching R2R 1 (balanced) next week.

Certain companies would benefit from such transparency,not mentioning any names but you certainly wont see them in Valhalla.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #21 of 1,272
Hello There

I have 2 Pi2 unit, I use both for parellel listening in flaw way since some time so I'm pretty sure the unit are working.
I'm used to use RUNE the more because I like the sound, but I use also Volumio and Daphile

I bought recently the new R2R and i started testing yesterday, everything is ok using windows or daphile, when using Raspy I recive a redundant message "audio device is changed" on Rune while with Volumio system alt without particular other signs

I'm starting to think is an HW issue, anyhow I have changed USB cable, Unit, memory card just to skip surprises and I have also changed the way I power raspberry (Using a multiUSB unit and the Samsning note 3 USB charger)

I wrote Kingwa to understand is something may be changed with Amanero interface, I had in fact to re-install driver on window

No idea now about how to go on, a bit frustrated ....Ideas ?

Kind Regards

Alex

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 1,272
With the balanced R2R 2 coming out, it'll be a tough decision for me. I was thinking about getting the NFB28.38 as it is an AIO balanced in and out. But for probably the same amount of money I can get the R2R 2. I know I still have to get a balanced amp, but I won't mind doing that if sonically the R2R 2 + a decent balanced amp is superior to the NFB 28.38. Has anybody had a chance to listen to the 2 setup and compare?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 1,272
With the balanced R2R 2 coming out, it'll be a tough decision for me. I was thinking about getting the NFB28.38 as it is an AIO balanced in and out. But for properly the same amount of money I can get the R2R 2. I know I still have to get a balanced amp, but I won't mind doing that if sonically the R2R 2 + a decent balanced amp is superior to the NFB 28.38. Has anybody had a chance to listen to the 2 setup and compare?
The 28.38 isn't actually balanced.
Its a single chip just with a balanced output.
not a true dual-mono balanced output like any other brand would consider.

Honestly balanced doesn't sound any better, the only SQ difference is when you are using dual chips in mono mode, they have more resolution overall.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 1,272
The 28.38 isn't actually balanced.
Its a single chip just with a balanced output.
not a true dual-mono balanced output like any other brand would consider.

Honestly balanced doesn't sound any better, the only SQ difference is when you are using dual chips in mono mode, they have more resolution overall.

Thanks for letting me know that. I didn't realize that before but now it totally makes sense.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #25 of 1,272
R2R 1 balanced DAC has been launched. I plan to use it with my NFB-1 AMP. I'm wondering what is the best connection between R2R 1 DAC and the NFB-1 AMP, i.e balanced connection or acss connection. I'm currently using DAC 19 > ACSS > NFB-1 AMP > HD800S. To my ears this combo sounds great. There is something special about the acss connection (possibly due to current drive?). I would greatly appreciate any advice on this issue. Tks.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #26 of 1,272
R2R 1 balanced DAC has been launched. I plan to use it with my NFB-1 AMP. I'm wondering what is the best connection between R2R 1 DAC and the NFB-1 AMP, i.e balanced connection or acss connection. I'm currently using DAC 19 > ACSS > NFB-1 AMP > HD800S. To my ears this combo sounds great. There is something special about the acss connection (possibly due to current drive?). I would greatly appreciate any advice on this issue. Tks.
Its just current driving as if its on the same board.
Basically any internal DAC/Amp will have the same connection.

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 1,272
Based on what...?! Regarding Your earlier logics...

enjoy

I'm not sure your question... it has literally double the number of modules but it costs only $60 more?
Furthering my point about the prices on these units not making sense.
Clearly Kingwa is feeling the competition so he needs to put out better offerings at a better deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back