Audio-gd R2R 11
Jan 14, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #391 of 776
I was a bit skeptical about the amp's power before receiving mine, to the point I'd pretty much just thought of the R2R-11 as another dac instead of a dac / amp combo. Turns out it's very capable amp-wise; I haven't had any need whatsoever to connect to another amp at all yet.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #393 of 776
Initial testing is positive, good synergy with my t50 mod. Running a fiio x3i coax out so its just a transport, to bypass the usb which everyone said isnt great. Seems like the amp section is better than i expected. More to come, as well as better pictures from an actual camera not my phone. This things smaller than i had expected for some reason.
20200118_163936.jpg

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #395 of 776
The usb amanero is quite good if you block the 5v pin on your usb, very black background.

I got the older one, before they upgraded the usb, 2018 model

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #396 of 776
Yea, I was using the USB on the 2018 model I had before. Have they upgraded the Amanero interface on the 2019 model?
TBH, the USB interface is like 90$ and it's one of the best solution you bought with the R2R11, the spdif can't compete.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #398 of 776
The usb amanero is quite good if you block the 5v pin on your usb, very black background.
Just curious since I also have the 2018 model.

Blocking the 5v pin basically works like described here?
https://arjenstens.com/prevent-usb-powering-3d-printer-display/

And what does this do precisely and under what circumstances? Some talk before here about the 2019 model that apparently reduces the background noise when playing DSD, not sure if it's connected: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-r2r-11.859278/page-20#post-14645225

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #399 of 776
Yea it'll work just like that. Blocking the 5v pin will prevent delivery of noisy power from the pc to the dac, instead, it'll use it's own power supply. You'll immediately experience a black background.
So basically the 2019 model just has it's software updated which eliminates the noise from DSD playback which I can careless about since I listen to PCM only.

I happen to sell my 2019 custom made version with I2s input which is far better than any input it offers for a quick sale price if anyone's interested,

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-r2r11-2019-230v-custom-i2s-version.920390/

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #402 of 776
Depends on what you're chasing after. It's just different sounding, not really an upgrade to a similar sound. Warmer, more tube-like, not as punchy or extended in the treble region.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #403 of 776
Got a question for you guys: I've been using the R2R-11 thru a Schiit Wyrd, and since getting the dac / amp a couple of weeks ago everything has went great. But when using Audirvana last night, I noticed I wasn't able to play any files in 24-bit and even some in 16-bit. I checked my Windows Audio settings; the only options selectable there were all 32-bit, so I'm wondering what the issue may be. I tried changing almost every upsampling option in Audirvana as well with no change, as well as taking the Wyrd out of the chain. Has anyone else here had an issue like this? I'm also hearing some subtle "popping" during quieter portions of songs (like the beginning of a lot of tracks)...

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #404 of 776
Yea, I was using the USB on the 2018 model I had before. Have they upgraded the Amanero interface on the 2019 model?
TBH, the USB interface is like 90$ and it's one of the best solution you bought with the R2R11, the spdif can't compete.

Why do you say the spdif cant compete? I was running coax digital line out of my fiio x3i, finallt got around to installing the amanero usb driver on my pc tonight, and am happy with the usb performance, no pops. I doubt ill compare them tonight but, prior i was always under the assumption coaxial was cleaner than usb for alot of devices. Now, im guessing theres something special about the amanero usb? Realistically is there an honest audible difference to be gained here? I dont think ill be able to tell, and cant really switch back and fourth without my brain knowing full well what source its on. Anyways, i am very happy with this purchase thus far, and cannot wait to use it as a dac/pre into my speakers soon. Its a very engaging piece, i dont care what audio science states, i like the way it presents music, so im happy

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #405 of 776
Well, looks like some of my issues weren't caused by the R2R-11. The 24-bit files I was trying to play were still showing up in Audirvana, but apparently they'd been corrupted and my PC had deleted them when it suddenly restarted on its own the other day. I ended up having to redownload the files, but they're definitely working again. I also installed the actual Amanero drivers from their website; I'm not hearing any popping at all anymore, and everything is playing just fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back