Audio-gd R2R 11
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #346 of 776
I noticed the A-gd website doesn't list the bit depth of the R2R-11. It uses the same DAC modules as the R2R-2, so the assumption is that it can handle 32 bit audio, but given how NOS the 11 always sounds (and how much less expensive the 11 is), I'm wondering if it converts everything to 16 bits before sending the audio to the DAC modules.

You guys have any insight or knowledge into this little mystery? It'd be crazy if the 11 did render audio in its native bit depth AND also sounded so tubey.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #347 of 776
I noticed the A-gd website doesn't list the bit depth of the R2R-11. It uses the same DAC modules as the R2R-2, so the assumption is that it can handle 32 bit audio, but given how NOS the 11 always sounds (and how much less expensive the 11 is), I'm wondering if it converts everything to 16 bits before sending the audio to the DAC modules.

You guys have any insight or knowledge into this little mystery? It'd be crazy if the 11 did render audio in its native bit depth AND also sounded so tubey.
The amanero is 32-bit i believe but the dac modules are 24-bit. So 8 bits have to be dropped, which are most likely zeros anyway.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #348 of 776
The amanero is 32-bit i believe but the dac modules are 24-bit. So 8 bits have to be dropped, which are most likely zeros anyway.

That makes sense. And if it maxes out at 24 bit, I’m totally okay with that. I don’t own any 32 bit audio. Don’t know anyone who does either.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #349 of 776
That makes sense. And if it maxes out at 24 bit, I’m totally okay with that. I don’t own any 32 bit audio. Don’t know anyone who does either.
24-bit is 144 dB. There no dac linear or quiet enough to use the full 24 bits. 32-bit dacs are only relevant if you use digittal attenuation.

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #351 of 776
After listening to the R2R11 as dac only via different amplifiers, going back to the built in amp of the R2R11, although it doesn't have the biggest sound stage nor the cleanest sound, it's highly musical and fast, reminded me why I fell in love with the R2R11 in the first place.
Yesterday I tried R2R11 with a newly received and well reviewed Arcam rHead amp. Could be that the rHead is not burned in, but the sound using my emu teak was more enjoyable directly coming from R2R11 than through the rHead. More dynamic and lively, a little more detailed but mostly - more organic and soulful. So while I feel a little disappointed with my new purchase, I have to agree with ProLoL on this. I will anyway burn in the rHead for a week or two before making a decision.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #352 of 776
Just got an r2r11 second hand to replace my faulty dac and separate headphone amplifier (also faulty) and initial impressions are very positive..... my AKGs like it and apart from a few minor niggles (which i have contacted Magna Hifi about) i will be keeping it and disposing of my old kit. The sound quality given the price point is ridiculously good, even more so considering i got it for a good price second hand . Chuffed !!!

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #353 of 776
I have been pretty happy with my AKG K340 and K550 MkIIs for a few years now. I have been driving them with a latest version Audio GD NFB-15 and I thought it worked well.
I just got a REALLY good deal on a slightly used 2019 version on the Audio GD R2R 11. I was not in the market for a new DACamp, but since I really love my R2R PCM1704 DAC in my speaker setup, I could'nt resist getting it.

I was certainly hoping for an improvement, but I was totally not prepared for what I heard. This DACamp really makes my headphones sing. Everything about the sound is improved in a jawdropping way. The bass goes much deeper and has much more real impact.
Female vocals, which was the main thing that I was not satisfied with, now sounds very good. The treble, which I found a bit too sharp and tireing to listen to in bright recordings, now are just perfect and definatly in no way tireing anymore. The stereo image, which was really only wide with the NBF-15, now is also tall and deep, 3D. The R2R is intensly musical and really makes my feet tap. The R2R 11 is obviously in a totally different class than the NFB-15.

I got bitten with upgraditis and now have a set of Beyerdynamic T90s on the way :wink:

The amp sections in the NFB-15 and R2R 11 are to my knowledge equal, so only the DAC has changed. This reinforces my impression from my speaker setup, where I have compared a lot of DACs, that delta sigma DACs are really useless for critical listening.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #354 of 776
I remember using the K340 bass heavy version with the R2R11, it sounded so sweet and bass was shockingly punchy, was very impressed.
The T1 limited edition with the R2R11 kept me imagining that the mids and highs sounds came from real life and the bass came from the headphones.
With the HD800, the 6k peak is unnoticeable and sounds very natural, great experience with games and movies.
The K240DF with the R2R11 is highly musical, very satisfying as the mids of the K240DF are glories.
HD250 linear1 600ohm and the R2R11 is just heaven!

R2R11 sounds so raw makes every other dac sound processed.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #355 of 776
The T1 limited edition with the R2R11 kept me imagining that the mids and highs sounds came from real life and the bass came from the headphones.

I use the R2R 11 with T1.1 it is amazing, the sound I always wanted. The bass has a 3D effect to me where it moves depending on note front to back in certain well produced music.

In the past I would love an upgrade or a change in the chain for a while and then get bored, everyday I am floored with what I hear still after a year of owning the R2R 11.

I would never of heard about this gem if it was not for reading about the R2R 11 here and then watching YouTube videos, so thanks to everyone that brought it to my attention :)

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #356 of 776
I remember using the K340 bass heavy version with the R2R11, it sounded so sweet and bass was shockingly punchy, was very impressed.
The T1 limited edition with the R2R11 kept me imagining that the mids and highs sounds came from real life and the bass came from the headphones
Yes, the K340 sounds wonderful with the R2R 11. I have the normal version, and the bass from acoustic instruments now sounds very realistic. What struck me most is how much better the stereo imaging is. This was rather poor with the NFB-15. This is probably mostly caused by the headphones, but a good dacamp obviously helps.

I got my Beyerdynamic T90 yeasterday and so far I love it. This combo looks to be my "endgame" also :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #357 of 776
I got my Beyerdynamic T90 yeasterday and so far I love it. This combo looks to be my "endgame" also :wink:

That is how I feel, I do still read posts and wonder what ***** would sound like or should I get an ***** then I listen to the 11 and T1.1 and think nope this is my perfection, a great place to be :)

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #358 of 776
I just tested the T90 with my old NFB-15, thinking the sound would be sibilant and very tireing... It was not at all so, the NFB-15 is a great match for the T90. I almost feel like a WM8741 DAC could have been used in the creation of this headphone, everything sounds JUST right and wonderful. There is slightly more authority in the bass, that is the only thing I can hear that is better on the R2R 11. Finding out which dacamp to use with the T90 will actually require serious A-B testing and critical listening with a variaty of music.
I thought this would be easy:confounded:

Feb 16, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #359 of 776
Finding out which dacamp to use with the T90 will actually require serious A-B testing and critical listening with a variaty of music.
I thought this would be easy:confounded:

A great problem to have :wink: happy listening :)

Feb 16, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #360 of 776
It's a luxury problem indeed :)

After a bit of A-B ing, it's clear that the R2R 11 is the superior unit. It has me conducting involuntary with both hands and tapping the beat with my feet. It's much more "musical". While the NFB-15 sounds great, the R2R sounds much more realistic. When I close my eyes, it creates a perfect illusion of being in the concert hall. I have been to many and know well what its like.

The drawback is that I'm finding that recordings I thought where great, really is'nt THAT great. Fortunatly I can switch to the K550 or K340 :wink:
This is my endgame, I have no need for better than realistic. So I'll chase away the "audiophile me" and get back to enjoying my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back