Audio-GD R2R-11 or Cayin RU6???
Nov 2, 2022 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JohanneMusic

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been lent a Cayin RU6 by an audio friend who thought I might like the sound of the R2R Dac - which he is right about! Maybe it's all imagination, but compared to my Dragonfly Red, which I have used as a DAC until now, the Cayin just sounds distinctly... "more musical" and/or "more real". Hard to describe, but I'm sure you know what differences I'm talking about :wink:. So: I must now also have an R2R DAC.

Now I'm spoiled for choice: I can either buy a new RU6, of which I know what I'm getting, or I can buy a used Audio-GD R2R-11 (not MK2). Price-wise, both cost about the same.

Does anyone have experience and can tell me which one sounds "better"? Or where the differences are? The sound is most important to me, that the RU6 for example is portable, I do not care much.

Especially important to me is the reproduction of voices. Damien Rice, Nick Drake, Sun Kil Moon, this is the kind of music I like to listen to the most.

Many greetings
Johanne

Nov 2, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 6
For a desktop setup, I would opt for the Audio GD even though I haven't heard it. So much more flexibility. Owners in the threads can share their impressions of the sound.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Currawong did a review of the RU6 which he compares with the original r2r-11. IIRC I think he said he prefers the sound quality of RU6.

Have the r2r-11 mk2 and looking to pick up an RU6 soon. Really been digging NOS dacs.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 6
This forum does not seem to like it a bit:
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...e-review-and-measurements-crap-happens.12671/

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 6
I own both. Listened both a wee while ago. RU6 is smooth and musical, but also more... "precise". Audio gd is perhaps even more musical, but has a bunch of quirks, like cracks when starting playing over spdif, a little bloated bass at times, perhaps a little coloured sound to make it more enjoyable, and even a little "dirty" when directly compared to some DACs.

So, if you're like me, tired of delta sigma DACs, you might like agd more, especially for the music mentioned. Cayin is more neutral and "conventional" sounding.

You didn't mention what's your setup, but agd also includes a pretty decent (for the money) headamp, but can benefit from a separate one. It has 3 inputs, variable/fixed output mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back