Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #1,441 of 1,750
Wow.
That's a hugh step back, money wise.

But to be honest, I've heard the Spring 3-Bliss combo to my R28 fave to face.
While the design is much better on the Holos, imo, there's not much difference between them, at least for me.
A slightly bit better separation, but that's for me.

There's a bigger difference when I hook up the Mojo to the R28, tbh.

Maybe my ears aren't that much trained to appreciate the difference between Holo and Audio-GD, or my eyes are blind while enjoying my music. :sweat_smile:
Whatever it is, the most important thing is, and will be, my pleasure while listening.
Great to hear! That's a pretty impressive and bold statement you made.
Not only did I want to pocket some money but I also wanted to pump the brakes on the madness, so to speak.

I believe there is a difference between hearing the most resolution possible, (ie the air conditioning turning on in the jazz club), and enjoying the music. I don't want to analyze anymore. I've analyzed for way, way too long. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy my Susvara experience or my Bravura experience. Both of those headphones give you such a fine microscope into the recording it's insane. But frankly, I wanted to sell the Susvara before they broke and I didn't think the Bravura would give me multiple thousands of dollars difference of enjoyment over the HE 1000 V3 stealth, If that makes sense.

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #1,442 of 1,750
I like a warm headphone with Audio-gd
Preferably with sweet mids and a bit of warmth.. My Stellia does a very good job in this regard.. closed design makes the sound denser as well, which is also nice with AGD..
Cool. I think overall HiFiman have a nice warm signature. I've had multiple headphones from them and I felt this. I've owned the Susvara for a while and many people say that it's bright but I simply don't hear it. I am very much looking forward to the V3 stealth planner magnetic through the Audio GD.
All the HFM headphones I've owned / heard were more like neutral with some bass / subbass shelf.. In my book warm is something different..

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #1,443 of 1,750
Preferably with sweet mids and a bit of warmth.. My Stellia does a very good job in this regard.. closed design makes the sound denser as well, which is also nice with AGD..

All the HFM headphones I've owned / heard were more like neutral with some bass / subbass shelf.. In my book warm is something different..
Gotcha.
The only HiFiman headphone I've owned that I considered bright, and I've owned more than a few, was the HEK SE.

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #1,444 of 1,750
The only HiFiman headphone I've owned that I considered bright, and I've owned more than a few, was the HEK SE.
Arya SE is also bright.. with lean, scooped midrange.. When I bought Arya SE my hope was it would be HE 500 on steroids.. couldn't be further from the truth.. HE 500 has beautiful midrange, which is a bit forward, but that's ok.. I liked the bass of HE 500 more too.. it is old school heavy magnet bass.. Arya SE is more detailed, but those details brought no pleasure (at least to me..) I believe, this is the current trend with HFM: more details and scene at the expense of the overall timbre.. My opinion is that the upper level HFM headphones need some sort of tube like sound with good resolution to sound their best.. but that's just me..

I've used my R28 (when I owned one) with HE 500 mostly and this pairing worked well.. If your budget allows for a DI20HE, it improves things with R28 significantly..

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,445 of 1,750
Hey before I purchase the R28 I just wanted to ask if anyone using a Mac had any issues with the Mac seeing the R28 via USB.
I just wanted to make sure the handshake takes place without a driver installed.

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,446 of 1,750
No issues with Mac while comparing my R28 against the Holo stack. :)

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,449 of 1,750
Yes.
For my ears, it wasn't much of a difference.

Maybe there's more to hear for advanced analytical listeners, different ears etc.. 🤷‍♂️

I ain't no golden ear by any means.
Just a simple man listen to music passionately rather than to gear. :wink:

Sep 2, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,450 of 1,750
Hey before I purchase the R28 I just wanted to ask if anyone using a Mac had any issues with the Mac seeing the R28 via USB.
I just wanted to make sure the handshake takes place without a driver installed.
I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 (Roon, dedicated LPS) as one of my sources and have never had issues with Amanero. The synergy I'm getting between Mac Mini and AGD is one of the best in terms of sound.. like it a lot..

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,451 of 1,750
I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 (Roon, dedicated LPS) as one of my sources and have never had issues with Amanero. The synergy I'm getting between Mac Mini and AGD is one of the best in terms of sound.. like it a lot..
Ok cool. Thanks.
What dedicated power supply are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back