Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Sep 18, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #1,141 of 1,787
I'd take the NOS for the HE6 and, eemh, a sabre Dac to R28 for the iBasso. :ksc75smile: :dt880smile:

Seriously, for your use case(s), the filters on the R-28 aren't that different, maybe slightly.
It still remains a R2R-Dac, with its pros and cons.

IMO. :wink:

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #1,142 of 1,787
Guys need your help..My R28 is here,unboxed & set up..Regarding the different filters/NOS/OS settings,I was under the impression that everything should be accessed through a front panel button BUT I got a small baggie with a bunch of I don't know what little plastic thingies & looking at the Audio GD website the R28 clearly shows the left button marked "DAC/HP"..MIne just says "Out"...
SOOOO I'm thinking I did NOT get the latest edition & I need confirmation from you folks..1st.pic is unit I received,second pic is from Audio GD website..
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,143 of 1,787
I purchased my R28 from Magna Hifi in 2019. Everything to do with sampling and Mode changes can be done from the front panel. My three panel buttons are DAC/HP, GAIN and INPUT.
Those little things in the baggie you mentioned sound like they're the jumpers to change Modes used to switch from within the cabinet. I would obviously contact your retailer to discuss the model you received from them

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #1,144 of 1,787
I received my R28 in April from Underwood HiFi and it has an OUT button. Been working well and can control everything from front buttons. I also got some jumpers which I have not used.

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,145 of 1,787
Guys need your help..My R28 is here,unboxed & set up..Regarding the different filters/NOS/OS settings,I was under the impression that everything should be accessed through a front panel button BUT I got a small baggie with a bunch of I don't know what little plastic thingies & looking at the Audio GD website the R28 clearly shows the left button marked "DAC/HP"..MIne just says "Out"...
SOOOO I'm thinking I did NOT get the latest edition & I need confirmation from you folks..1st.pic is unit I received,second pic is from Audio GD website..
Does it switch to "H" on the first digit when you push the OUT button once?
Does it move to , for example N3001 or O8001, when you push the OUT button twice?

If both answers are yes, then you're good to go with your beautiful R-28. :)

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #1,146 of 1,787
^^^^^ last 3.....
Guys really appreciate the replies..
YES it does switch to H when I press the Out button once,keep pressing & YES it cycles through several #'s like 08001...So I take it those are the Sampling settings?I looked at the manual online but don't see the information on the settings.Can someone tell me where to find or how to set to NOS mode?

Only had a few short minutes to listen last night but sure sounded sweet,that 100 hour pre burn in REALLY helps.Can't wait till this weekend,doing some serious listening till Monday..Thanks again,have a great weekend..

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #1,147 of 1,787
^^^^^ last 3.....
Guys really appreciate the replies..
YES it does switch to H when I press the Out button once,keep pressing & YES it cycles through several #'s like 08001...So I take it those are the Sampling settings?I looked at the manual online but don't see the information on the settings.Can someone tell me where to find or how to set to NOS mode?

Only had a few short minutes to listen last night but sure sounded sweet,that 100 hour pre burn in REALLY helps.Can't wait till this weekend,doing some serious listening till Monday..Thanks again,have a great weekend..
To change to NOS mode, push the OUT button twice and than push the Input button.
Leave it for 2-3 seconds.
You'll notice a "Klick" sound once applied.

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #1,148 of 1,787
^^^ appreciate that..Is there NO where this information is in print.I would like to explore the different settings but have no reference point...

Oct 1, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,149 of 1,787
Oct 1, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #1,150 of 1,787
Oct 3, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #1,151 of 1,787
First I want to send props to the members who have provided 75+ pages of enough information to let me pull the trigger on an R28 with little reservation,as well as help me confirm & set up the latest 2021 version.Without that today would have been a TOTAL BUMMER!!!
Second is props to Walter @ Underwood HiFi,who confirmed the value & performance of the unit,had it shipped right out & then put up with my paranoia after I received it..Highly recommended for all kinds of gear..
Saturday,except for the last 4+ hours,SUCKED!
Day started @ 0420,42 mile drive(yes I thought that funny too) to the jobsite.Ok,I can listen to football & make double overtime for 10 hours,I can hang..3 hours later a storm blew in & with 2,200' cranes set up,a million miles of steel girders exposed & enough water on the deck to literally float a dingy(one of our electrical lockers completely flooded at 9' total depth)the general ordered everyone off the site..6 hours lost wages & another 42 mile drive,oh well I can watch my beloved college football...
Yea,EVERY FRAKING team I follow got run off the gridiron..After 9 hours of torture I threw on my Pandora+ Classic Rock station & headed off to do some chores.
I couldn't finish loading the washer fast enough,as Robin Trower seemed to have stopped by with his Strat & was playing in my living room.With factory burn in(3 cheers)+ about 30 hours now I've been playing air guitar for the first time in too many years..
Several things stood out already compared to my previous Burson C3P..First was VERY low level resolution.The R28 in NOS mode digs out tiny little sounds the Burson glossed over.Brush work is easily followed,cymbal sustain is considerably longer,bass is comparable,drums & percussion have much better resolution,sounds from a bass drum frame can clearly be heard when properly motivated,but where the R28 smokes the Burson is in imaging & staging,which are wider,deeper & more solidly outlined along with something not easily quantifiable.
Call it delicacy.I'm talking about music that is so lightly played it could be a whisper.To be able to convey tone texture & emotional intent the way the R28 does during those lull in the action passages is quite simply amazing.Some of Jimmy Hendrix blues or Jimmy Pages Gibson work is just plain baddd a$$$.......This thing doesn't seem to care what type of music you que up.It is both muscular & delicate,it is emotional & yet it can be cold blooded when needed & all this is on my Harbeth M30.1's..
As for headphones,OMG!!!
With the iBasso SR-1's on the Burson,there was always a very slight darkness,very much reminded me of running a class a PP tube amp in Triode mode..Gone is that slight darkness,detail & voice seem the same & it's not like cleaning a dirty window.More like a too thick speaker grill shifting the freq.response just a tiny bit.Now that grill is gone & the SR-1 has taken on a slightly more see through sound,kind of a hybrid Planar/Dynamic sound,much like the Harbeth Monitors,with amazing bass depth & texture...
I just can't imagine ever having the desire to spend more $ chasing a marginal or non existent performance increase..At the asking price an absolute gem!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,152 of 1,787
First I want to send props to the members who have provided 75+ pages of enough information to let me pull the trigger on an R28 with little reservation,as well as help me confirm & set up the latest 2021 version.Without that today would have been a TOTAL BUMMER!!!
Second is props to Walter @ Underwood HiFi,who confirmed the value & performance of the unit,had it shipped right out & then put up with my paranoia after I received it..Highly recommended for all kinds of gear..
Saturday,except for the last 4+ hours,SUCKED!
Day started @ 0420,42 mile drive(yes I thought that funny too) to the jobsite.Ok,I can listen to football & make double overtime for 10 hours,I can hang..3 hours later a storm blew in & with 2,200' cranes set up,a million miles of steel girders exposed & enough water on the deck to literally float a dingy(one of our electrical lockers completely flooded at 9' total depth)the general ordered everyone off the site..6 hours lost wages & another 42 mile drive,oh well I can watch my beloved college football...
Yea,EVERY FRAKING team I follow got run off the gridiron..After 9 hours of torture I threw on my Pandora+ Classic Rock station & headed off to do some chores.
I couldn't finish loading the washer fast enough,as Robin Trower seemed to have stopped by with his Strat & was playing in my living room.With factory burn in(3 cheers)+ about 30 hours now I've been playing air guitar for the first time in too many years..
Several things stood out already compared to my previous Burson C3P..First was VERY low level resolution.The R28 in NOS mode digs out tiny little sounds the Burson glossed over.Brush work is easily followed,cymbal sustain is considerably longer,bass is comparable,drums & percussion have much better resolution,sounds from a bass drum frame can clearly be heard when properly motivated,but where the R28 smokes the Burson is in imaging & staging,which are wider,deeper & more solidly outlined along with something not easily quantifiable.
Call it delicacy.I'm talking about music that is so lightly played it could be a whisper.To be able to convey tone texture & emotional intent the way the R28 does during those lull in the action passages is quite simply amazing.Some of Jimmy Hendrix blues or Jimmy Pages Gibson work is just plain baddd a$$$.......This thing doesn't seem to care what type of music you que up.It is both muscular & delicate,it is emotional & yet it can be cold blooded when needed & all this is on my Harbeth M30.1's..
As for headphones,OMG!!!
With the iBasso SR-1's on the Burson,there was always a very slight darkness,very much reminded me of running a class a PP tube amp in Triode mode..Gone is that slight darkness,detail & voice seem the same & it's not like cleaning a dirty window.More like a too thick speaker grill shifting the freq.response just a tiny bit.Now that grill is gone & the SR-1 has taken on a slightly more see through sound,kind of a hybrid Planar/Dynamic sound,much .like the Harbeth Monitors,with amazing bass depth & texture...
I just can't imagine ever having the desire to spend more $ chasing a marginal or non existent performance increase..At the asking price an absolute gem!
Good going!…NOS mode ☑️, Harbeth speakers ☑️…Robin Trower (esp. Bridge of Sighs…) ☑️

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #1,153 of 1,787
Hello, I'm a new member so I start with a greeting to everyone.

Last week I got R28 (2021 v2) and I'm burning it connected with a old notebook (Acer Aspire 5920G with Daphile) via usb (2.0). I have read about the issues related to the use of USB connections / protocol (and therefore the profitable use of devices such as Di20he etc) and I ask, with the explicit aim of limiting further expenses:
1) the notebook has spdif output (toslink), could I use it with benefit (even reaching 96kHz) instead of the usb2.0 connection?
2) should I change notebook to get usb3.0?
3) the notebook is also equipped with a firewire port (400), an 'old' connection / protocol but designed for audio / video ... do you think it can be conveyed / transformed into usb?

Thanks to those who want to answer me.

Regards,
Salvatore

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #1,154 of 1,787
Hello, I'm a new member so I start with a greeting to everyone.

Last week I got R28 (2021 v2) and I'm burning it connected with a old notebook (Acer Aspire 5920G with Daphile) via usb (2.0). I have read about the issues related to the use of USB connections / protocol (and therefore the profitable use of devices such as Di20he etc) and I ask, with the explicit aim of limiting further expenses:
1) the notebook has spdif output (toslink), could I use it with benefit (even reaching 96kHz) instead of the usb2.0 connection?
2) should I change notebook to get usb3.0?
3) the notebook is also equipped with a firewire port (400), an 'old' connection / protocol but designed for audio / video ... do you think it can be conveyed / transformed into usb?

Thanks to those who want to answer me.

Regards,
Salvatore
Welcome to the board. :)

It's all a matter of your own sensibility, imo.

I for my just listen via USB (3m cable) from my Surface Pro and never experienced any flaws.
My tv is connected via optical to the R28.
When you've a very noisy notebook, it's best to go with optical/spdif.

You can try it for yourself wether you'll like the sound over optical more. :wink:

I don't think that FireWire is adaptable to USB, but I'm not sure about.

Have fun with your AGD. :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,155 of 1,787
Last week I got R28 (2021 v2) and I'm burning it connected with a old notebook (Acer Aspire 5920G with Daphile) via usb (2.0).
All Core 2 Duo chipsets have a modern USB implementation, should work well with R-28 with asynchronous transfers (no jitter added). If your laptop has 4GB RAM (it seems a maximum supported), then it can run comfortable all version of Windows from 7 to 10. It is from USB drivers perspective, not sure whether Acer support Win10. I can't comment on Daphile, but you can google on Amanero Combo384 compatibility with latest drivers. Custom Linux firmware is available for Amanero, not sure what is purpose.

1. It is always worth to test optical out, if it works better than USB, it means that ground loops are affecting a DAC internal operation and you need to deal with. If not better, then there is no definitive answer, as laptop S/PDIF implementation can be noisy. I would rather use external converter like this. It has I2S/HDMI, it can go on optical output up to 196kHz and is seen by a laptop as XU-208 receiver (using different drivers, it may be a clever solution for Daphile).

2. Not. USB 2.0 is sufficient for speed and features and less noisy. USB 3.x users can resort to use external 2.0 hub to isolate DAC from a noisy 3.x root hub. A self powered 2.0 hub is also useful for dealing with ground loops. As you see, you have more options.

3. I didn't see any firewire converter. It didn't catch in the audio market. Pity, as firewire was faster and more flexible than USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back